Prototype Yaabaa Stinger

AdamR28

Hi guys,

Here is the latest prototype frame from YaaBaa, the Stinger, which is currently being tested by Ali C. It's designed for the UK street market but still light enough for natural.

Geometry is 1085, 380, +35, 71.5, weight of this prototype is 1.78kg. The colour is not final. Expected retail price is under £299.

The frame has vertical dropouts at the moment - when the frame was conceived we thought these to be more popular in the UK market, but now we think that possibly horizontal dropouts would be better. What do you lot think?

Update 9th June: The production frame will have horizontal dropouts, the same as on the Hydroxx 2 but non-disc both sides.

Onto the pictures...

stingerf1.jpg

stingerf2.jpg

stingerf3.jpg

stingerf4.jpg

stingerf5.jpg

stinger1.jpg

stinger2.jpg

stinger3.jpg

stinger4.jpg

stinger5.jpg

stinger6.jpg

Any questions or comments are welcomed.

Cheers!

Adam

Yum. That looks f'in beautiful, confirm that colour! Maybe a tad long for me personally, and I'd be all up for horizontal dropouts. But to be honest I'd probably look into one even as it is there.

After a wee ride on it I really liked it. The reach could have been a bit longer for my liking but thats just preference and set up.

As for the frame, I would rather the colour stayed like that, no graphics, no stupid wee symbols to ruin it.

Ali, I loved the way the brakes were set up. Front Vee felt nice. Quiet brakes ***.

exactly what the uk street market needs FINALLY

something 'hard as nails' massive tubes, sqaure back end!

vertical wins my vote (Y)

id love one of them badboys!

Do you think it'll be strong, or were you being sarcastic? 1.78kgs will not be strong!

Frame looks nice, apart from the gusset on the underside of the top tube, that just looks messy. The geo sounds great, I'd love to ride one, but I wouldn't pay for one. I doubt I'd get 6 months from something so light

I'm a big fan of vertical dropouts because you don't need to adjust the Maguras every time you tweak the chain tension. I'd build it with a FFW and Echo fixed hub with built in tensioner like my current bike. I'd like to see a disk mount on it too...

Are those trialtech cranks? I notice there's no bashguard - is this because the freewheel rubs the BB with the bashguard fitted? I'm bashguardless on my trialtech cranks and 128mm Echo BB for this reason :(...

Frame loos smart, will have to have a play next time I am up that way....

Are those trialtech cranks? I notice there's no bashguard - is this because the freewheel rubs the BB with the bashguard fitted? I'm bashguardless on my trialtech cranks and 128mm Echo BB for this reason :(...

Ali mounts his bashguard between the BB cup and the BB shell, I think you can just make it out in some of the pictures.

Adam

Do you think it'll be strong, or were you being sarcastic? 1.78kgs will not be strong!

Frame looks nice, apart from the gusset on the underside of the top tube, that just looks messy. The geo sounds great, I'd love to ride one, but I wouldn't pay for one. I doubt I'd get 6 months from something so light

i think itl be strong looking at it, looking at the shape of the tubing ect ect

i think itl be strong looking at it, looking at the shape of the tubing ect ect

Tube shape wont add any strength, may increase stiffness though. 1.78kg of aluminium isnt going to be particularly strong though.

Tube shape wont add any strength, may increase stiffness though. 1.78kg of aluminium isnt going to be particularly strong though.

You say that, but my Rockman ISIS frame is 1.78kg ish and i have had it for 6 months now and it is still going strong! My coustellier was 1.65Kg and that lasted for over 6 months before it cracked......

Adam

You say that, but my Rockman ISIS frame is 1.78kg ish and i have had it for 6 months now and it is still going strong! My coustellier was 1.65Kg and that lasted for over 6 months before it cracked......

Adam

Aye, but make that 1.78kg into 2.0kg and it becomes alot stronger due to increased material :)

Correct me if Im wrong but doesnt the rockman use butted tubing? This gets the weight down loads without sacrificing strength because it retains the heavier section at the welds where the peak stress is.