The Lightest Czar In The World..?

AdamR28

Adam This looks mint..

Iv been doing all the math, working out the weights also...

I really want a czar but the weight of the frame did put me off slightly...

Im coming off same bike as you did so all components apart from forks.. and hope disk's are the same...

you have done well to get that weight down.. standard 221ti is 19.2? How much does a 221 ti frame weigh?

how expensive is this anodising thing..

Does it basically just remove all the paint from the frame? how much diffence did that square make in the headtube?

Cool

Chris..

Iv been doing all the math, working out the weights also...

I really want a czar but the weight of the frame did put me off slightly...

Im coming off same bike as you did so all components apart from forks.. and hope disk's are the same...

you have done well to get that weight down.. standard 221ti is 19.2? How much does a 221 ti frame weigh?

how expensive is this anodising thing..

Does it basically just remove all the paint from the frame? how much diffence did that square make in the headtube?

Cool

Chris..

A standard Ti is 19.2lbs plus pedals at 0.9lbs... so its just over 20lbs. The main places to save weight over a standard Ti are the front tyre (250g), pedals (~40g), rim tapes (30g) and bashplate (~280g if you go all the way and rip the bashplate mounts off the frame). I've also added a smattering of Ti and Alloy bolts in the brakes, carbon lever blades save a bit each as well. I had my Ti down to 8.44kg/18.60lbs with those mods. --> http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....howtopic=100229

My 221 Ti frame without bashplate and mounts comes in at 1.59kg, VERY light! With the bashplate and mounts on it was more like 1.85...

Anodising cost me £50, shot blasting £20 (gives that nice matt finish), plus postage... Steve can do loads of colours as well.

You have to strip all paint (45g, hehe) off the frame before sending it to anodising. The square hole in the head tube only saves about 10g, but I've done loads of other bits to shed weight:

Frame and bash, as new = 2044g

Frame no bash, saved 142g

No paint, saved 42g

Bashplate mounts off bb shell/downtube, saved 22g

Bashplate mounts off stays, head tube hole, one yoke plate machined out, saved 43g

Hole in top tube, other yoke plate machined out, general tidying, saved 16g

Corners off the rear dropouts off, general filing to bashplate mounts, saved 14g

More filing and grinding to various bits, saved 8g

Head tube ring reinforcements removed, saved 5g

Faced/reamed headtube and BB shell, saved 2g

Larger holes in dropouts, more head tube work (breathe holes into top and down tubes), scoop on BB shell, saved 15g

Shot blasting and anodising, saved 14g

Total saving 323g :)

how much do you charge to do that to frames? :shifty:

Haha, a LOT! There's about 20 hours work in it @ £20 an hour. Steve charged £70 for shot blasting and anodising, plus delivery.

Jesus, £70 for shot blasting? I would have done it for nothing for you Adam. And maybe a little discount on some of your second hand bits. :lol:

How does it ride? I am going for something a bit like this, an Echo Lite, so fairly similar geo and weight I think as I'm not too keen on Monty's, I feel more "on top" of them than with lower bb frames, I feel more in between the wheels on something like this. Craig R is who I bought the frame from, it should be at home by now but I'm on holiday ATM.

Do you know Ryan Trickett by the way? He's my (only) riding buddy and he said he had met/chatted to you a few times. I will hopefully be starting comps by the end of the year so I might see you at some of them.

£70 was blasting and anodising, pretty good I thought...? Hopefully... haha

I've not ridden it properly yet, but the main difference I can tell from my Monty is that it is much stiffer. I also had to change back to 18:12 ratio which is a bit gay, will get used to it though.

Craig's Lite rides really well, it was actually his bike that turned me into a weight-weenie, was so suprised at how much difference lopping some weight off made. If you went nuts on a Lite it would be VERY light... you could save about the same on one of them as I have on this Czar!

Yeah, I know Ryan from the YMSA comps, get yourself down there, it's always a good day (Y) Should be one more this year on 30th September if all goes well.

£70 was blasting and anodising, pretty good I thought...? Hopefully... haha

I've not ridden it properly yet, but the main difference I can tell from my Monty is that it is much stiffer. I also had to change back to 18:12 ratio which is a bit gay, will get used to it though.

Craig's Lite rides really well, it was actually his bike that turned me into a weight-weenie, was so suprised at how much difference lopping some weight off made. If you went nuts on a Lite it would be VERY light... you could save about the same on one of them as I have on this Czar!

Yeah, I know Ryan from the YMSA comps, get yourself down there, it's always a good day (Y) Should be one more this year on 30th September if all goes well.

I can't do anodising, but that is a good price, I thought you had just got it shot blasted for that. :S

I may turn into a weight hore, I don't know yet. I'm hoping for a sub 9.5kg bike though. I might loose the bash plate and just run a ring but I would have to get a new bb and the ring itself, so the saving will be reduced quite a bit.

I won't go nuts, I like my Try-All stem too much, but the new Echo Lites, (thankyou very much btw), have made a huge difference to my Zona Zip, the bb has dropped and the WB is now 1045 instead of 1065. My bro's T-Lite has now got corrected geo aswell, and is much nicer on the rear wheel. I reckon I have saved 500g at least swapping the forks, my old Onza ones were 1400g supposedly but I couldn't get an accurate reading, I need some decent scales. Where did you get yours from?

I'll be there in September, I promise. :lol:

I could, but the whole point of the bike, for me, is to make it very light and still have a pair of discs... because I find them much better than Maguras.

Same, I hate riding with a front magura. You could file out the drills to make them square, saves a couple of grams, but makes your rims a load weaker! lol

file out and drill the sidewalls of the rims, and koxx forks and it would pretty much be as light as it is possible to get it without doing anything more drastic....

but as you said the forks arnt as strong, and doing that to the rims would weaken them... sidewall drilling wouldnt be to bad though...

That bike is the sex i'll admit. But may i ask what's with the big weight issue bullshit ?

Really. Youdon't need a bike that light. To be honest prefer some weight to my bike so i know its there. Can't ride these featherweight things. Feel like there going break. So what is the issue with these ultra light bikes ? Doesn't make ridign any easier for me.

Danny.

That bike is the sex i'll admit. But may i ask what's with the big weight issue bullshit ?

Really. Youdon't need a bike that light. To be honest prefer some weight to my bike so i know its there. Can't ride these featherweight things. Feel like there going break. So what is the issue with these ultra light bikes ? Doesn't make ridign any easier for me.

Danny.

lol i agree, everyones doing it now.