Australia Studies At Uni?

Caleb

I've only heard of American studies! It's the study of the conceptualisation of America by looking at American media (Literature, films etc) with the influence of history and culture in mind. One of the biggest ideals is the 'American dream' which is an influence of a lot of novels, such as the Gothic novels of that era. Umm there's also the True North/Deep South divide before slavery was abolished, leading to Literature such as Street car named Desire. You get the idea.

Anyway, i'm assuming that Australian studies is the same principal, except i have just realised that i have no grasp at all of Australian history or tradition to hazard a guess at any major events or pivots which would be ideal to study.

However, I'm also assuming that the focus is on Media. There could be American/ Australia studies with a different subject as an approach.

Hmm I'm also genuinely interested now and a quick search didn't really show anything.