Trials/ Mountain Bike?

nickmpower

Well i dont think i will ever be super serious about trials, and I would like to have a bike that i can ride decent distances, and also not spend very much money! Im mainly just looking for a frame right now, what do you guys suggest? the gary fisher opie frame looks like it would work well, since the seat can go so high and so low

01010701021101030020070925c637c53af7a6e2

really any small XC/mountain bike will do.

If you dont aim to ride that serriously and still want to ride other things then its all youll need.

if you want something a little stonger and dont mind about the weight to much then a jup from would be ideal, something along the lines of GT chucker, Azonic DS1

DMR sidekick ect. Pretty much the frames that were used as trials frames before any real trials frames were available.

the good thing about doing it your way is if you dont like trials your not stuck with a bike thats usless to you, this way you can go jumping, or XC riding or whatever takes your fancy next.

Base TA26 - don't even think about anything else.

Its not just about how low the seat can go, short chainstays make a huge difference. If you want to ride street, manual, spin, bunny hop, all on a reasonable weight frame - get the base. I have a really long 410mm seat post in mine for riding around and a pocket sized section of old seat post that I swap in if I want to do some seatless trials riding.

Its also a great frame for just riding, I can spend all day just carving turns up and down the street.

Don't mess about get one, the time you spend thinking about alternatives is time you could be riding.

Duane.

shoot, I guess I just noticed that this is a UK forum, I should have specified that i am in the US. Are there any dealers for tarty in the us? Seems like a great frame, but would i Be able to have 12 or 24 speeds? About how much do you guys think im looking at for all the other components it needs?

thanks

I've done almost exactly what you've suggested with a TA26.

It's got a 32T ring (probly gonna put something a wee bit smaller on soon), with the bash plate bodged out with the aid of a steel plate with 4 holes in it to be big enough. Gears on it, Avid V's front and back. I use it both to ride to work and for trials.

It's the mutt's nuts.

Or will be when I have some forks that don't weigh 50 tons on it.

But bear in mind that I'm oldschool as fook (I'm from the "X-Ile you can both jump and ride trials on" era) ;):P