In Tesco The Other Day

Token

I went to Tesco last Friday with some friends, now I'm on crutches so I didn't think it'd be a bad idea to use a wheelchair to get about. Anyone whose had crutches will know it aches your arms after a little while, so I get in the wheelchair not expecting anyone to complain because A: I'm obviously incapable of walking and B: You don't question a disabled person whether they are disabled because that's just not on, I've clearly got a broken ankle by the cast on my leg/ankle area. So I get in the wheelchair an start to push myself down the isle when my friend starts to carry my crutches for me, the security guard comes over and says 'Im going to confiscate these' pointing at the crutches. To be honest I didn't have a clue at what to say, I was pretty shocked, he looked serious as if I was stealing something. Only after doing abit of shopping did I realise that, what he'd done could of been the most politically incorrect thing someone could of done. You wouldn't take the white stick off a blind man, or would he? When I got back to entrance to try and see where my crutches were, there was no assistance to get them so I had to walk up and get them where they were layed behind a desk. Walking on my broken ankle! I was made to walk on a broken ankle because the Security Guard wanted to be a jobsworth, he had no justified reason to take my crutches from me.So I told my mum, she hit the roof. She works for M&S and if anybody done that at her work they'd be liable to be sacked.

Am I meant to write a letter to Tesco head office?

Should go down there and pretend you never got your crutches back. Say you had to get you mum to pick you straight up as you couldnt find them and you couldnt find the security gaurd to get them back. And that no one in the store could find them either.

yes because places like that dnt have cctv showing people leave :P u nugget. although i would go down speak to manager with ur mum or dad or legal guardian :> and say what happend and let the manager know you will be taking this to his head office :)

Well the only problem is, is that if Tesco is anything like Sainsburys the security guards actually work for an independant company and are not paid or anything by Tescos are just contracted to do there job there? may be different but i think its best complaining within the store (if its a big one) and insist on speaking to the manager, dont be palmed off by a duty manager ask what times hes in and arrange a time to come in... really no on.... i would have gone ape shit as soon as i realised what he had done!

The security guards work for Tesco. My sister just pointed out in the local newspaper that disabled people who have gone down to this Tesco and ask for help with their shopping have been turned away an told to come back another time when it's more convenient for them to give a member of staff out to a disabled person. Discrimination? Sounds like this particular Tesco hates disabled people.

Scopes, do complain!

Discrimination is a word that gets thrown around a lot...I think in your situation is a simple mis-understanding; as you said, no one in their right mind questions a disabled person so I think he has the wrong end of the stick here.

But yes, right a formal complaint to the store, not the head office. But if you're unhappy with the reply they give you, photocopy their letter and your letter and send them to the head office.

I complain about a lot of stuff...minor things, especially with companies as big as Tesco; they have a reputation to uphold and will do literally ANYTHING to keep custom; usually in the reward of vouchers and freebies :)

id go all out matt. hand the letter to head office, then a letter to the store manager, and then demand a reason from the security guard and if he cant think of anything passable, because i can't to be honest, then tell him that he should have thought about his actions more clearly and as a result the guard is likely to be reciving disciplinaries. if nothing again happens, go to the papers