Race Boxx De Supermance. 8,8kg.

baladi

Thats awsome! Light bikes are the new black!

Seeing all the top UCI riders bikes makes you realise how much work goes in to them. I am now considering building a comp only bike using all the lightest parts and chopping it up a little to see how light a mod can be..........

worth a thought, best do some overtime!

Tom

Thats awsome! Light bikes are the new black!

Seeing all the top UCI riders bikes makes you realise how much work goes in to them. I am now considering building a comp only bike using all the lightest parts and chopping it up a little to see how light a mod can be..........

worth a thought, best do some overtime!

Tom

It gets very expensive, my Echo is down to 8871g, with a further £500 it could come down a lot more.

All TI/Ally bolts - £132. -90g

New headset - £30 - 61g (if starnut and cap removed afterwards).

New BB Neon TI - £60 - 68g.

New front tube, bmx ultralight thing - £10 - 44g

New rear tube, monty - £7-10 - 28g.

Ally nipples. £20 - 37g.

Hope carbon blades. £56 - 40g

Rotors - £60 - 24g

Chain, £14 - 104g

Grips - £6 - 50g

New Front Rim, DOB - £35 - 84g

New Back Rim, DOB - £40 - 89g

New Front Tyre, Schwalbe Mow Joe sport - 231g

Tartyadamise the frame: (estimated)

Bash Mounts Off - 22g

Head Tube Hole - 25g

Drilled For Internal Hose Routing - 15g

Bigger Holes In Drop Outs And Open Up All The Breathe Holes In The BB Shell, Headtube - 15g

Total Saving To Frame - 77g

Total Saving With Other Stuff - 950g

Total weight loss - 1027g

new bike weight - 7744g

Money cost - £473

That's my big list. :P

Total weight loss - 1027g

new bike weight - 7744g

Money cost - £473

That's my big list. :P

Thats a whole lotta weight, and a mental light bike, would love a go on somthing that light.... But is it really worth that money? If I had the money lying around I would consider it but to be honest It costs me enough to keep my heavy bike running nicely...

At the end of the day, isn't it just a bogde?

Surely Vince is in a position where he could have parts designed lighter. The rims for example, why arent they made like that, give them thicker sidewalls to compensate for all the metal you're taking out of the middle. Still keeping some radial strength.

You don't see monty riders taking a black and decker to their bike, they spend money on R&D to make their bikes lighter, a much more professional way of moving foward with technology.

Andrew

You don't see monty riders taking a black and decker to their bike, they spend money on R&D to make their bikes lighter, a much more professional way of moving foward with technology.

danny comas drilled his new monty frame as feck!!! I ve seen it a velofolies courtrait

it's in one of the vid I ve made (warm up ones)

Surely Vince is in a position where he could have parts designed lighter. The rims for example, why arent they made like that, give them thicker sidewalls to compensate for all the metal you're taking out of the middle. Still keeping some radial strength.

Andrew

Montys notoriously crack or snap relatively quickly compared to how much you pay for them, whereas Koxx frames don't. The Levelbosses were virtually bomb-proof. I'd rather have the option to make my own bike lighter/weaker rather than be given a really light, weak frame for an inflated price.

Andrew

Because for the average rider who's Dad doesn't own KOXX, having parts that light would be suicide and not worth buying in the first place. For the masses they can't be produced at the weight Hermance needs/wants for top level competition.

And just producing a small / one-off number of superlight parts with the mods done with drill/grinder is a lot more expensive than buying in bulk.

Andrew

More than likely that could be done, but for rims to be redesigned ect lighter just for him would be very costly, and it wouldnt be a big market at all it would appeal to either if they produced uber light comp only things like rims like that ect. Like said that bike will only be used for comps, how many people do you no that have comp bikes not many if any so it means that no one will buy the parts as they wont last a season or riding and wont be usualable for street riders who twat the bikes (not that comp lads dont). Its just not feasable to do it, thats why companys put money into R&D trying new techniques and material and finding places to shave material without it affecting strenght.

danny comas drilled his new monty frame as feck!!! I ve seen it a velofolies courtrait

it's in one of the vid I ve made (warm up ones)

Fair comment.. not something ive seen.

Because for the average rider who's Dad doesn't own KOXX, having parts that light would be suicide and not worth buying in the first place. For the masses they can't be produced at the weight Hermance needs/wants for top level competition.

And just producing a small / one-off number of superlight parts with the mods done with drill/grinder is a lot more expensive than buying in bulk.

Fair comment, i suppose the sport just isnt big enough to put money into these areas, which is a shame, because downhill rigs seem to have a lot of engineering and new designs/ideas are always coming out.

More than likely that could be done, but for rims to be redesigned ect lighter just for him would be very costly, and it wouldnt be a big market at all it would appeal to either if they produced uber light comp only things like rims like that ect. Like said that bike will only be used for comps, how many people do you no that have comp bikes not many if any so it means that no one will buy the parts as they wont last a season or riding and wont be usualable for street riders who twat the bikes (not that comp lads dont). Its just not feasable to do it, thats why companys put money into R&D trying new techniques and material and finding places to shave material without it affecting strenght.

again, comp riding just doesnt seem big enough. But i will laugh (if only for a second) if someone with these mods goes and breaks their face in a section when their head tube separates from the rest of their bike!

Yeah Matt is right. and anyway its not the lightest 26in rig, forum member (Zhi) 8.5kg Dob magnesium 26in rig which he rode at 2007 summer london is the unofficially lightest 26in rig to date. and (zhi) didnt even push to shave as much weight possible ie, lighter magnesium pedals/titanium axles, titanium bb, middleburn cranks, lighter tubes & tyres. reckon he could have got his Dob rig down to 8kg easily. Nice rig by the way.

Yeah Matt is right. and anyway its not the lightest 26in rig, forum member (Zhi) 8.5kg Dob magnesium 26in rig which he rode at 2007 summer london is the unofficially lightest 26in rig to date. and (zhi) didnt even push to shave as much weight possible ie, lighter magnesium pedals/titanium axles, titanium bb, middleburn cranks, lighter tubes & tyres. reckon he could have got his Dob rig down to 8kg easily. Nice rig by the way.

Vine is restricted to useing only koxx and tryall products though other wise he could get it even lighter. And the reason zhis was so light was because of the frame and rims, koxx wouldnt be able to get alu frames that light as they wouldnt be marketable as they would snap far to quickly. And theres the problem with the magnileium frames that there to flexy so you would have to make them heavier to counter that and then your back where you started.

Maybe the reason is completely different, i.e. not money/business related. Making it that ligther has given him an advantage over many comp riders. Mass producing these parts would simply mean losing that advantage.

No i dont think thats true, i doubt koxx put vince before making money. If it was feasable they would do it as it makes them money, people see vinces bike and want his parts because hes riding them. Also these parts would only appeal to comp riders really and the only riders at the level aorund vince are top riders with factory sponsors so they are restricted to there companys parts only. So he wouldnt loose any advantage only to his own team mates and koxx want there whole team to do aswell as they can, not just one person. And also he wouldnt loose an advantage with some of the riders as some riders such as kenny bealey feel that if there bikes to light they dont feel to comfortable with it.

Who really gives a shit, if it gives him an advantage in competition, good for him! All it means to us is that we get to watch some bigger riding. These riders are at the very top of their game, so they need to push their bikes as well as themselves in order to improve.

You would of thought, boosting yoru muscles short twitch, or power, would of been a greater advantage. Doesn't necessarily work out and get bigger, just try and develop some power.

Then again, if shaving weight of the bike is your thing, go for it.

Looks half decent.

What if he does both? If he's got stronger muscles and a lighter bike then its win win.

Also Lets think about it here if all the little bummers see vinnys light bikes with holes in, then they are going to get mummy and daddy to buy them expensive koxx and tryall bits and a bloody Black and decker drill so they can ruin them and have to buy new ones again.

Personally I like it.

You would of thought, boosting yoru muscles short twitch, or power, would of been a greater advantage. Doesn't necessarily work out and get bigger, just try and develop some power.

Looks half decent.

vince is one of the most powerful riders in the world already. hes a beast, bike looks cool.

Seen this bike in 10 different topics now. As boring as watching trees grow. :sleeping:. I'd rather see some older bikes from 04/05 than all this fancy wancy drilled hydroformed star wars technology malarky.

I think most people prefer the looks of your retro barge. ;)

Seemed Kenny felt different about that. Supposedly one of the reasons he left...

Yeah i heard that, but i think the main reason was that they wernt getting him his proto frames and when they where getting to him they where wrong geo and was forced to ride a old frame and he must of just got a offer from monty and took it because of everything together didnt feel right for him at koxx

Looks half decent.

Vincent already does freeweights, doesn't he? Well, a shitload of exercises and work-outs to help his physique anyway, according to OTN.