F1

Fish-Finger-er

6 hours ago, manuel said:

Same old mclaren Honda failure so far...

Every year I kid myself that it's because they're running something super new and innovative that'll give them a Brawn-esque start to the season. Every year I'm wrong... They didn't even make the merch interesting enough with the new livery this year :(

Whoever designed that oil tank is probably looking for a new job right now.  That's a major f**k up to make.

Still weird having Bottas in a Mercedes.  I see Lance Stroll kicked his proper F1 career off well by writing off a test day 40mins in, and requiring a wing to be shipped back to the UK to be fixed :P

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Hmm, not really. Kimi's lap wasn't exactly great, missed both the hairpins by quite a margin! Also interesting how the 2017 lap is slower to the first braking zone... Sandbagging? Engine turned down?

Much more drag....

• Like 1

Makes sense! It'd be interesting to see where the lap time improvements have come from - as in, how much is from the tyres and how much is from the aero.

Although... after some Googling:

2017 testing speed traps:

1488543988709.jpg

2016 testing speed trap info:

1 Nasr, 338.5km/h

2 Hamilton, 337.5km/h

3 Massa, 334.3km/h

4 Hulkenberg, 333.3km/h

5 Haryanto, 333.3km/h

6 Magnussen, 332.3km/h

7 Grosjean, 331.2km/h

8 Raikkonen, 331.2km/h

9 Rosberg, 328.2km/h

10 Sainz, 327.2km/h

11 Kvyat, 322.3km/h

12 Button, 320.4km/h

2015 speed trap info (fastest 334km/h)

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjataDXjOjSAhWsC8AKHcgpDxwQFggcMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fia.com%2Ffile%2F27515%2Fdownload%3Ftoken%3D0wNuHT3D&usg=AFQjCNGPeVqh6F6CuF9F8C39_8f1tRWlIQ&sig2=DFJ2CYxyoAiaNMaBLfy45g&cad=rja

So not a lot of difference between the 3 years...!

Big balls move overtaking in the pit lane? Hmmm

As big a Hamilton fan as I am it was refreshing to see vettel win. I am however very concerned for the overtaking abilities that they have this year. Hopefully it will prove better at other races but unless there was a huge performance difference between cars it just didn't seem like overtaking was possible.

Also not good to see red bull not in the fight, hopefully they'll make up ground. 

Edited by Duncy H

I usually have to put up with a super crappy quality stream of sky sports f1 over here in Canada. Although the girlfriend came up trumps and found it on TSN which has the sky sports commentary anyway. Might be worth finding a stream for that somehow. I've not watched it in HD for over a year. It was like a revelation :lol:

Edited by Duncy H

• 2 weeks later...

Very little in it between the Hamilton and Vettel on Q3. Vettel was spot on about Mercedes turning up their engines as you see when Hamilton passes the speed trap. 

Vestappen opening lap starting in 2nd gear.

Edited by Rusevelt

8 hours ago, Rusevelt said:

Alonso moving to Indi-car

From what I saw he's still finishing the season, just missing Monaco.

I have to say though, I do feel for Alonso a bit - he's a world class driver who should have the tools right now to be up there battling with Vettel and Hamilton. The thing is, how would you ever have any two of those three on the same team?

The race is not even over but the rest of the season looks pretty clear if your the number two driver. Double damage limitation for Bottas not being on the pace and passed twice by Hamliton. 

Edited by Rusevelt

• 4 weeks later...

Hamilton P1, Vettel P2, Bottas P3. 

Should be an interesting race tomorrow knowing all the teams had preseason testing though I don't think anyone anyone is prepared to wager Alonso or Saintz winning their home grand prix. Better odds on the bookies for DNF.