Best Rim For Back

leeson_rider

well d521 is bomb proof and middle range for weight but aint fat at all really :- its a shame really cos its pretty much perfect sept that. If u start looking at fat rims u start to get weaker rims.. specially koxx drilled and bmf... stick with d521

Guest Old_Skool_Trialser

If you are a Leeson rider as your name suggests, be careful with putting fat rim in... Tyre clearance is small even with a Gato or whatever, a bigger rim makes the tyre wider too...

Guest Old_Skool_Trialser

Do you actually have a Leeson? If your planning on getting one - before you get your rear rim, phone up Leesonbikes and ask Clive about rear rim choice. Tell him that you are gonna get one soon, and what rim would work best at the rear. I've got an inkling he can custom fit the rear end depending on your setup... But on all of Kris's bikes they have 521s.

Anyway talk to him. I'd say 521 anyway, but if your in between, ask Clive.

• 1 month later...

the alex rims are unbeliveably strong but kinda heavy but then if you are ready to go for a wide rim I suppose you are expecting a slight wieght increase.

as for all wide rims being cheesy its only depending on how many spokes you have and how well its actually built, try to make sure you have 36 spokes not 32 :thumbsup:

the more spokes give your wheel a wee bit more strength and the spokes need to be pretty tight but not so tight all the spokes snap when the wheel flexes.

I know people with Phatso's bmf's koxx rims and I have had the alex rim, the only one not so good is the koxx rim,

koxx, light but not that strong and I think too wide,

bmf, kinda heavy look nice and strong,

alex, mega strong rims but heavy,

phatso, probably the best, not that heavy and really strong.

or as TRA uses the echo rim my mate has talked to him and according to him you wont find a rear rim like it I think they are quite nice aswell :thumbsup:

hope that helped you a bit but the choice is yours

you cant is that why it says on the side of the rim no break blocks, check it out on chain reaction, and the walls are really thin and not wide enough for a rim break :thumbsup:

Nah, you can grind a flat onto one edge and run the brake pads at an angle (I've seen it done)

Basically, a d521 is great for street. Maybe a wider "cheese" rim for natural.

• 3 weeks later...

I reckon the best rim for the rear for street is the Mavic D521, it takes loadsa abuse and has never failed me for the 1 and a hlaf years I've had it, still perfectly true, and the spokes are all nice and tight. For natural though wider rims would be better for more grip and stability.