Caelifera Takes On The World

Dang!

Or- "where in the world is caelifera?"

So, we're done doing initial testing on the frame and have initial orders coming in (all custom so far).

I am doing a little tweaking on the proto and then am going to paint it and put final decals on. I am going to put it in a case and ship it to the next tester... or series of testers.

So here is where the idea part comes in.

44trials sets up one or more frames with: (headset, BB, and chain tensioner only) and sends it out to a tester, who builds it up and rides it for a month or so, and sends it to the next tester, so on and so on.

Each tester:

• is obligated to arrange shipment one-way
  • build up with appropriate parts
  • record build and complete weight if applicable
  • will video document their experience and/or right in the log or blog
  • will sign any major dents, scrapes, or breaks with their name and date with a supplied indelible pen.
  • correspond with other testers to arrange transfer and prepare bike to it's receivedyou Don't state and pack for shipment.
  • have a shit ton of fun with a brand new frame!
The idea is to see just how long and how far it will go, not to see how fast it will break- you'll be ruining it for the next person in line.

The last person to get it will be me, even if it comes back broken.

If it breaks, I will repair it. Or better yet, if there is a good welder in the area, have them repair it- record the event and keep the ball rolling.

This is not specific to the US, I see no reason to extend this to the whole world. With that being said- it might be wise to sort out the tester order so that shipping is not more expensive than the frame.

Bear in mind your riding season too?

I have in mind some people to start this off with, I hope people like the idea. If so, I would love to see this thread get a sticky so it becomes the blog for the concept. Well... I have no idea how to create a blog, I'm a designer and fabricator for shit sake.

The blog will act as an official sign up for testers, will keep track of where it is, where it's been and where and when it's going next. This will also allow us to place hate upon any who think it a great idea to just keep the frame. Yes. I am talking about yougaybar.gifDon't do it!

Oh and maybe a bonus...

All official testers who post and record their experience will receive 12% off the purchase of their own frame or free custom engraving on the integrated booster.

Who's with me!

Please see the exisitng thread on OTN: http://www.observedtrials.net/vb/showthread.php?t=39127

Edited by Dang!

Me, me, me..... ;)

No, only kidding i am too old and crap a rider to be able to test anything like that!

If you send over to the UK i suggest it may be worth getting a trusted "middle man". Somewhere that the frame can always go back too before the next rider or at least someone who could go and try and find it if it fails to turn up somewhere.... a middle man could always take photos of the frame each time it arrives back to prove condition etc. before it being passed on.

Me, me, me..... ;)

No, only kidding i am too old and crap a rider to be able to test anything like that!

If you send over to the UK i suggest it may be worth getting a trusted "middle man". Somewhere that the frame can always go back too before the next rider or at least someone who could go and try and find it if it fails to turn up somewhere.... a middle man could always take photos of the frame each time it arrives back to prove condition etc. before it being passed on.

Not a bad plan that - I call Tartybikes ... absolute heroes ...

sounds like a fantastic idea for a fantastic frame ...

I absolutely plan on sending one to Europe, and the UK is a great place to start no?

As far as who's first- I think Mr. Leacock has dibs.

But I will most likely work with Adam to establish some key riders.

The frame is a competition frame, that has been designed around natural.

I really don't know how well it will fair urban?

I would love to see somebody place at a comp' with it. That's where it really belongs.

You can expect the frame to be absolutly f**ked, and never get it back.. you get that right?

I know very few people who would unbuild their whole bike, rebuild it for a new frame for a week, rebuild their original bike and pay 10quid for postage. Very idealistic idea though :)

You can expect the frame to be absolutly f**ked, and never get it back.. you get that right?

I know very few people who would unbuild their whole bike, rebuild it for a new frame for a week, rebuild their original bike and pay 10quid for postage. Very idealistic idea though :)

Then they wont get to try it....

So I guess we can you officially count you out.

Of course the frame is going to have the potential of becoming a candidate for "recycling for crack". A great cause by the way-

All aluminum frames have a life expectancy, even if built to the nines, they will fatigue and crack eventually. The point is to have the opportunity to ride a boutique frame with out the risk of having to purchase it.

If you're a hack and destroy it, your f**kin' the next guy in line. So if you can't ride it, without breaking it, don't ride it.

I do agree that a week is too short, I suggest a month per rider.

i am game to give it a go, no where near pro but do some street and natural along with Hampshire competitions.

it is a good idea, i like the idea as it would be a nice change of frame for a month, variation as always good.

it will be very hard for you to track wherever it goes, and how will u know who to allow to test it apart from researching people for months?

regards

The concept for tracking as it exists now, is to have a blog/ website/ thread, that those that desire to be apart of this will log into, have a user ID that has address and contact information, associated with but not seen by the general public.

Let say you have the frame now- You're riding it at the end of your month and put a nice ding in the drive side chainstay- as you're breaking the bike down and are packing the frame up, you sign the ding, maybe find a country flag to put by it? You check the blog to see who is next in line, maybe you received a PM from me or email that contains the shipping address and contact info of the next person, either way you make contact to tell them it's coming, and ask how they want it shipped (you pack it appropriately, they pay for shipping to themselves), maybe they want to drive down and get it? Either way- shipping gets arranged and paid for, you put it in the post and off it goes. The next person logs into the site and says they received it, so on and so on. Hopefully at this point you are editing your footage and pictures and posting them to the ftp site and the media section of your preferred forum. Hopefully you took pictures of the frame as you received it and after you built it up- At the end I am going to compile a master DVD with all the best footage and pictures staring you. Make sure you include how you want to be named and the location of the ride spot.

I hope to have a visual tracking system of the frame as it moves around the world. A map with thumb tacks, or a map with route lines, maybe attached to google earth? So that we can all see where the frame is, where it has been, and where it is going next. I would like it to also show the names or user names of the riders, think about how you would like that represented.

PS:

I would love help / ideas with said site.

Edited by Dang!

Sounds like quite a good idea, i'd be up for it. Would you like us to make a small video documentary-style from point of opening, through the riding until point of dismantling and sending off?

It might already have been mentioned but what frame is it exactly? If its something close to my current one i'd probably give it a miss, but changing frames and being forced to ride differently because of it would be a pretty nice personal challenge. Its always nice to mix things up a bit every now and again.

Sounds like quite a good idea, i'd be up for it. Would you like us to make a small video documentary-style from point of opening, through the riding until point of dismantling and sending off?

It might already have been mentioned but what frame is it exactly? If its something close to my current one i'd probably give it a miss, but changing frames and being forced to ride differently because of it would be a pretty nice personal challenge. Its always nice to mix things up a bit every now and again.

Something like that-

The frame is the 44trials "caelifera"

Edited by Dang!

This would be so fun in every aspect. Just watching from the sideline would be great. Seeing how different people and styles react with the frame for such a short amount of time.

I'd love to see it happen, especially on the streets not just natural.

Names would have to be voted in i'd say. Even if the frame got passed on fine, i could see some dumb shit not bothering to record the required data/ footage.

Thoughts on choosing who and when-

Well- let's look at the different regions, and who in those areas is interested in participating. I think sharing within a group is a great idea, but it cuts the "rider's" time short or doesn't allow others to have much time with it. Now that being said- most everyone who has ridden the CAELIFERA for more than just a moment has commented on how natural and comfortable it feels. VA-TICK (OTN) rode it in a comp' on his second pass and scored better for it. That says a lot for a frame, running new equipment in a comp' is a recipe for disaster usually.

Anyway- I suggest that if there is going to be a group: either the time is longer or it counts as more than one rider (which means they are on the official roster and are expected to post their share of video and pictures).

Again keep in mind your riding season- The official kick-off should be January.

If you can't make the time to ride it well, make some video or take pictures, and actively be a part of this- then don't be a part of this. It's simple as that. There are plenty of riders who will want to be a part of this history, don't ruin it for them.

There are far more riders in Europe than here in the states, so finding 12 might be challenging. A poll or a vote is a great way to do this, maybe...

Of you who are also on other forums in languages other than English, please pass this on- English is not a requirement to participate. It just happens to be the only language I can communicate in.

Stupidest idea ever, well not really its a ok idea but never going to work and stupid idea from a business sense, because its bound to go missing. Unsure on the law exactly but unless you make people sign a contract somehow they could just not send on the frame and keep it, and your in a different country any way so its not like you could bring legal actions against them anyway if you could. Plus it will never get a proper testing due to the amount of time people having it, it will take them that time to get ust to it. 2 or 3 riders with different riding style will give a much better testing.

Edited by basher

Stupidest idea ever, well not really its a ok idea but never going to work and stupid idea from a business sense, because its bound to go missing. Unsure on the law exactly but unless you make people sign a contract somehow they could just not send on the frame and keep it, and your in a different country any way so its not like you could bring legal actions against them anyway if you could.

Not everyone are c**ts. There are plenty of people in Europe who are good riders, well respected and trusted, and will be keen to give as many people a chance to ride it as possible.

If you ride frequently, a month is a long time to get used to a frame, and be able to tell its good and bad points.

Yeah its gonna get scratched, yeah it'll get dented, but thats the point. Its like your most comfy shoes... they may be f**ked, but they're still your favorite and theres a lot of fond memories attached to them.

Sending the frame to some dick whos just gonna twat the hell out of it and snap it in half isn't ideal, which is why the riders are being carefully selected. If it does snap, welding it up for the next man in line would be a great thing to do.