Caelifera Takes On The World

Dang!

The geo is going to be:

1085 depending on fork. +40BB 72HA 385stays (actually most of these are dependent on the fork)

The frame should be on it's way by February at the latest I hope.

There are a lot of slots open folks, I am not going to set up the schedule until the list is full.

There is a chance that a mod will surface in Europe, but is going to depend on the list of potential riders.

It would make more sense to produce 2 or 3 frames to send around, you'd get more testing and advertisement out of it that way, and people wouldn't have to wait a year to try the frame.

What is the reach measurement of this frame?

Edited by Jason222

It would make more sense to produce 2 or 3 frames to send around, you'd get more testing and advertisement out of it that way, and people wouldn't have to wait a year to try the frame.

What is the reach measurement of this frame?

Jason, you are on both forums and this was not clear? read the posts...

Or did you mean that I should send 2-3 frames to the UK? Um-no. If you are impatient for a frame, might I suggest buying one?

The 44trials "takes on the world" project is slated to initiate late January 09-

So far I have a pretty short list from Europe and the UK-

I need you folks to start getting your rears in gear, or this is going to pass you by-

For those that don't venture into OTN waters here is a exerpt as a result of some questions.

This list applies to all forums-

"Let's be clear:

• read the whole thread, many of your questions may be answered.
  • what I am offering is not as confusing as it may seem, but unorthodox indeed.
  • to date there is no formal list or order.
  • this forum and others are serving to collect "riders" to create this list, create the order, and most importantly create the event.
  • the time period per "rider" is to be 4 weeks.
  • 12 "riders" = @ one calendar year.
  • there will be one frame for the Americas, one frame for Europe, possibly a third to float to further extremities.
  • 3 frames equal 36 "riders" or 12 "riders" per geographical region.
  • Each rider will pay for the frame to get to them.
  • Each rider is required to shoot video, photos, log in there experience, prepare the bike for shipment to the next "rider".
  • The frame will come with a 128mm BB and a 1 1/8" headset with a split crown race. You will provide everything else.
  • The video does not need to be edited, as it will be combined with all of the footage in a DVD set at the completion of the project.
  • I do not plan to choose who the riders are, I would prefer the "riders" pick the most suitable 12 from their country/countries, but I do reserve the right to remove people from the list.
  • If the folks from TF think that they can square up all 12 in the Kingdom alone... think again.
  • I want to see other countries represented.
  • If you think that your country or area is not being represented speak up and get involved or get your preferred forum involved.
  • I only speak English, but that doesn't mean the frame can only go to English speaking countries. (find a translator).
  • The frames are slated to be ready early 2009.
  • The order will be determined after all 36 "riders" have been established, it will be based on ride season and proximity of next location. Keep in mind, it can and should be taken on road trips and large group rides, and exchanged with the next recipient.
  • I fully expect this frame to be used in competitions, as that is what it is designed for.
  • Most of all- be considerate, don't f**k it up for the next guy, and have fun."

Update for those who said the disc mount wouldn't work...

IMG_5974.JPG

Even with a little bit of weld in the way (will be fixed) it holds very well, no movement!

IMG_5967.JPG

IMG_5969.JPG

Jason222-

the reach is @ 675mm if I remember correctly.

FYI- the rider in the above pictures rides an Ozonys Cannibal. His comment after 3 days on the caelifera was:

"this feels more balanced and tucks really well, my side hops got bigger...it also sits so well on the rear, and gets there so easily that I thought something was wrong with it the first time I brought it up, it just stays there... the rearend is really stiff, much stiffer than mine." The Ghost (otn)

Edited by Dang!

Hello Dang.

I like concept behind your rear disc mount but personally not to sure on the idea still. Having a completely cnc'd dropout that incorporates the disc mount in my opinion would be a lot stronger and stiffer. If a bolt was to work itself loose, i can imagine the adapter writhing against the frame and flaring the area where it will attach.

This is the same reason why i don't use an avid brake on the rear of my bike. You have to run an adapter which allows for more stress points and areas for flex. I will always use a Hope or similar mounting caliper.

I look forward to receiving this frame and putting it through some rigorous testing for you. If would like any more input or ideas, please message me.

Other than that, i have checked out the blogs on your site. The frame looks great. A Comfortable geo and size. I can't wait.

Regards,

Rob Larkins

Hello Dang.

I like concept behind your rear disc mount but personally not to sure on the idea still. Having a completely cnc'd dropout that incorporates the disc mount in my opinion would be a lot stronger and stiffer. If a bolt was to work itself loose, i can imagine the adapter writhing against the frame and flaring the area where it will attach.

This is the same reason why i don't use an avid brake on the rear of my bike. You have to run an adapter which allows for more stress points and areas for flex. I will always use a Hope or similar mounting caliper.

I look forward to receiving this frame and putting it through some rigorous testing for you. If would like any more input or ideas, please message me.

Other than that, i have checked out the blogs on your site. The frame looks great. A Comfortable geo and size. I can't wait.

Regards,

Rob Larkins

Thanks Rob- in truth you're correct- any mechanical connection has inherent potential for play. Same as the connection of your Hope caliper. The beauty is for those interested, I have no problem making this a permanent connection. But for those who want to try disc or rather the purity of rim brakes only. it's as simple as two bolts. Cheers and happy new years!

Jason222-

the reach is @ 675mm if I remember correctly.

FYI- the rider in the above pictures rides an Ozonys Cannibal. His comment after 3 days on the caelifera was:

"this feels more balanced and tucks really well, my side hops got bigger...it also sits so well on the rear, and gets there so easily that I thought something was wrong with it the first time I brought it up, it just stays there... the rearend is really stiff, much stiffer than mine." The Ghost (otn)

AH, sorry about not realizing the 3 frames bit. It seemed as though you were only going to be sending out 1 frame by the way people were writing. 675mm is about what I'm running now on my ZHI, seems a bit too long for my size...would be nice to see one with identical geo to the hydroxx. That frame is perfect IMO. I liked your initial frame design, but the welds on it really turns me off. If you could get that sorted out it would make these frames more enticing, especially at that price.

Edited by Jason222

AH, sorry about not realizing the 3 frames bit. It seemed as though you were only going to be sending out 1 frame by the way people were writing. 675mm is about what I'm running now on my ZHI, seems a bit too long for my size...would be nice to see one with identical geo to the hydroxx. That frame is perfect IMO. I liked your initial frame design, but the welds on it really turns me off. If you could get that sorted out it would make these frames more enticing, especially at that price.

Well there are two ways to accomplish better welds: Have someone else do it (read more expensive) or wait as my welds get better one frame at a time.

Sorry about that-

@1.8kg

on another note- it was proposed that the suggested mod geo. be discussed by those of you in the know, but as I have heard nothing I took a shot at it:

I took a good 5 minutes looking that over and it looks like the geo seems quite nice (Y)

a little weight saving suggestion is not to add bash guard mounts either (Y)

the weight sounds very reasonable aswell! having light components on it could make this a great frame to ride :) cant wait to get a hold one to test :D

I have decided to add a little to the concept.Everyone on the list will automatically be entered into a drawing to win one of the three frames. The winner will be randomly selected at the end of the project (I may even use a hat, or a helmet anyway...)That's a one in twelve chance of winning!

Keep updated on the blog : http://www.44trials.com/2008/12/some-big-idea.html