Pc Tech Support

Dr. Nick Riviera

Will have a look then when I get a new job.

Messed with my bios, but even with the multiplier at x8, cpu-z still registers it as x6?

Thats because you need to disable some of the motherboards power saving feature things in the bios. Think its called speedstep on mine. Can't check though as i'm not at uni with my pc!

Is it worth me taking out 3 years warranty for £117 on this laptop- http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152233

It comes with 1 year free warranty, I'm just wondering are HP's known for breaking or anything like that?

Edit- Make that £50:S

£50 for an extra 2 years warranty on a laptop is a bargain.

I paid £119 for the same on mine. Never used it, but it's good to know if it breaks you're covered, and if it's after 3 years and it breaks, it'll be too obsolete for you to care about it.

Turned my laptop on this morning and my wireless doesn't work. After looking it just isn't there. Almost as if it's been deleted, tried looking for help but hasn't really worked. Any ideas? Don't fancy writing on an iPod till I can afford a new one.

Turned my laptop on this morning and my wireless doesn't work. After looking it just isn't there. Almost as if it's been deleted, tried looking for help but hasn't really worked. Any ideas? Don't fancy writing on an iPod till I can afford a new one.

Isn't there?

First thing to check is that it hasn't been turned off - usually you'll have a switch or you can press Fn (Function) and one of the keys that has the wireless symbol on it to flick the wireless on or off.

If this is on (maybe indicated by a light on some panel on your laptop) then you need to check and make sure the wireless connection hasn't been disabled. Go to Network Connections and if the wireless connection is faded out, it has been disabled. Just right click it and enable it again.

Try these and you should get the wireless symbol back in the bottom right of your screen so you can search for a connection. More than likely it has just been turned off.

It's none of those, normally when I flick the switch it'll say Bluetooth on, WLAN on or something like that. Now it just says Bluetooth on/off and doesn't mention WLAN. That's why I thought it somehow might of deleted it. I don't know :( cheers anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

You have a HP printer or pda? Fourthe google result for "esu for vista" comes up with it being related to a printer application by HP... A couple of other places say its the Essential system update, if its the first i wouldn't say its important, if its the latter i'd say the opposite.

Posted this in random small questions but i might aswell wack it here too...

Whenever i disconnect my headphones or AUX cable from my laptop the sound doesn't start to play over the laptop speakers. If i try to plug either back in the sound doesn't come out of them either... Anyone know why this is happening?

playlists that i've made on my ipod, where can i find this file you're on about?

steve

Ah pass, if thats the case, im sure you used to be able to retrieve playlists using a few aftermarket programs(google "retrieve playlists off ipod"). i thought youd just come to an empty itunes one day, for no apparent reason.

Our router is blocking important applications. How do i go about unblocking them when i don't know the port numbers?

Currently running the router without a firewall :/

Probably the best (and most reliable) way is to google the application, i.e 'Outlook 2003 Port' which will give you the default port number for that application.

A second method is to go into the Task Manager (Ctrl, Alt, Del) and click onto the 'Processes Tab'. Then click 'View' and then 'Select Columns', tick the PID (Process Identifier) box (its off by default?) and click ok. You'll how have a column called PID. If you look for the application in question and make a note of the PID number.

Then go to Start> Run> CMD, in the command type 'netstat -o -n' and this will show a list of active communications that you are 'running'. Locate the PID number and the port number will appear of the application will appear after the semi-colon under the 'Foreign Adress' column. Although if I'm completely honest you're better off (and probably quicker) to google the application :)

Regarding unblocking the port, or allowing the application, its usually under the settings/permissions options of whatever firewall you are using - in your case perhaps Windows XP built in firewall or a third party one? If you're using a third party one and you're sure its enabled, I recommend disabling the XP one if it isn't already.

I'll get back to you on this, busy at the mo.

The task bar? I had the same problem, couldn't find a cure so I had to reinstall windows.

You can normally still back everything up by opening Task Manager, under the Applications tab click new task then browse. If you hav an external hard drive or a second internal one you can copy everything you want to save onto it from the C: drive, then just wipe it and start again, then copy all your files back on.

the bar at the bottom of my screen isn't there :S halp?

Try hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL, then task manager, then new task and type 'explorer' in the box and hit enter. Sometimes windows has a funny 5 minutes and semi shuts itself down... annoying.