Pc Tech Support

Dr. Nick Riviera

I'm thinking about just replacing the router as it is to be honest. I just need something wireless, but with a USB connection for that drive. Any ideas?

I'd always recommend a Netgear, although for this job you might want something like this.

However, this isn't exactly going to solve your problems - it may be that by default these routers allow a download through FTP but not an upload - perhaps a security measure?

Worth ringing BT to double check - they'll have probably heard this problem 10 times today and will give you a straight answer, saves wasting money on a new router you technically don't need.

Hey guys, looking for some help with my home network, this is truely baffling.

Me and my flatmate both have identical laptops, same model (Sony Vaio VGN-NR32M if it would make a difference), same operating system (vista) etc.

Now when we tried to first set up the network we set it up and set mine as the lead computer but my computer was never able to connect to the wireless network. We tried with the other laptop and it worked perfectly first time. We are on Virgin Home broadband and it is a regular Netgear router that you get when you sign up. However what is strange is my laptop works on my university and parents network and even works with our network using an ethernet cable, the xbox works on the home network, my phone, flatmates laptop (clearly) and his ipod. Everything we have every tried to connect it with has connected first time and without complication.

I have tried to connect it with the Virgin Wireless manager and the Windows system. Neither work.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks

Hey guys, looking for some help with my home network, this is truely baffling.

Thanks

Well, as you can connect to other networks, it rules out a problem with your wireless card, which is good. Is it locating the wireless? How far are you getting before it fails you?

1. First things first, restart your router and try again.

2. Disable (TEMPORARILY) all security settings on your wireless network - I'd recommend turning off the boardcasting SSID too for 'some' security feature. If you can connect up without a security pass, then it's the pass that is the issue.

3. Restore factory settings and reinstall it - its usually quicker than pissing around trying to find an issue with it. You can do a complete reinstall in 15 minutes.

For reference the default settings for Netgears are http://192.168.0.1 and the Username is admin and the password is password.

If none of that works, post back. I will extend this tomorrow when I'm less asleep.

Probably something dead simple but my webcam's being an absolute douche. Installed all the proper drivers and shit, yet my PC only detects my webcam when it wants to - I'm normally faced with that little box in the corner that tells me my webcam is not recognised. Tried all the stuff on the Microsoft website (it's a Microsoft LifeCam VX-3000) inc. uninstalling the software and reinstalling etc. I've tried several different websites for the drivers as well. I'm running Vistaaa if that helps (ha!) It was very tempreramental on my laptop as well, although I was running XP on that. Just proper pissing me off really...

Edited by Hannah Shucksmith

Hannah,

Go here

Use the drop downs and select your product and download the latest update for Vista. How old is this camera? It could be that it is not (originally) Vista compatible and so will require the lastest drivers. The older drivers could have just been corrupt.

Computer turns on and sounds like its booting up yet monitor claims theres no signal. Monitor comes on when Xbox is plugged in through VGA (pc is plugged in with digital socket)

So pc turns on, monitor works yet no picture comes up!. absolute joke as had a third year uni module in for today. Stayed up all night finishing it and now cant f**king access it and hand in time has just gone so had to hand it in shoddily finished

Anyone got an ideas

ps it has done this before and then later it just worked.

I unplugged it, plugged it back in, checked all cables, no idea.

Thanks in advance (btw on my laptop atm)

Edit meh just turned it on and its making a clicking sound. perfectly uniform and sounds like a click track on a recording setup? still not working though

Edited by chrishayton

Computer turns on and sounds like its booting up yet monitor claims theres no signal. Monitor comes on when Xbox is plugged in through VGA (pc is plugged in with digital socket)

So pc turns on, monitor works yet no picture comes up!. absolute joke as had a third year uni module in for today. Stayed up all night finishing it and now cant f**king access it and hand in time has just gone so had to hand it in shoddily finished

Anyone got an ideas

ps it has done this before and then later it just worked.

I unplugged it, plugged it back in, checked all cables, no idea.

Thanks in advance (btw on my laptop atm)

Edit meh just turned it on and its making a clicking sound. perfectly uniform and sounds like a click track on a recording setup? still not working though

Quite possible your graphics card is playing up. Open it up and check whether the graphics card is seated into the motherboard properly?

Quite possible your graphics card is playing up. Open it up and check whether the graphics card is seated into the motherboard properly?

Just tried that. No avail. Ill get it out later and check all the connections. still got some uni work to sort out at the moment. If it is graphics card whats a good replacement (not too expensive, use the pc for photo editing and no modern games) and i take it its not plug and play?

Try booting from a live CD, if that works then it narrows it down to either an OS, hard drive, or SATA/IDE controller issue. Most likely the OS has died in that case. (In my experience).

Best thing you can do is take the hard drive out, connect it up as a slave to another computer and copy all your files off it.

Shouldn't have handed the assignment in but applied for extenuating circumstances!

Try booting from a live CD, if that works then it narrows it down to either an OS, hard drive, or SATA/IDE controller issue. Most likely the OS has died in that case. (In my experience).

Best thing you can do is take the hard drive out, connect it up as a slave to another computer and copy all your files off it.

Shouldn't have handed the assignment in but applied for extenuating circumstances!

Wouldnt covered under extenuating circumstances unfortunatly.

How do I go about connecting hard drive up to my laptop?

Wouldnt covered under extenuating circumstances unfortunatly.

How do I go about connecting hard drive up to my laptop?

For that you'd need an enclosure for your hard drive so you can plug it in as an external drive. Depends on what HDD you've got, but look here for the type of thing you'd need, then look for that in a computer shop.

You don't, you can cheapy converter kits from ebay for around £5-10, I got one to convert an IDE drive to USB. Actually works pretty well lol.

I'd work whether your hard drive is IDE or SATA then get one of them. (Y)

You don't, you can cheapy converter kits from ebay for around £5-10, I got one to convert an IDE drive to USB. Actually works pretty well lol.

I'd work whether your hard drive is IDE or SATA then get one of them. (Y)

He's gotta get it done today ;)

RIght so need to get my pc fixed. Pretty good with technical stuff but not never done much with computers. I know whats what and where though. Haven't bothered buying a HD enclosure yet as didnt need the work because already missed the deadlines(works handed in just with a thin research file). If I buy one and plug it into my laptop will it just work as an extra drive. not try and boot anything up etc.? I have two 250gb hds that work together as one drive( dunno if that makes a difference)

If you download Knoppix and burn to a DVD, then run it from that it should allow you to copy your files and docs onto something else. If it won't boot then it's probably a hardware issue you've got. I've never actually used Knoppix so I don't know how well it will work. :P

Edited by Muel

Reading the previous post, the clicking noise would most likely be hard drive related as it's really the only mechanical part thats most likely to fail and cause start up problems. If the computer seems like it's booting up, do you get the post screen when you first turn it on? An then before it goes to boot windows you just get a blank screen and it gives up? If that's not the case then you should be able to get the work with a little effort.

As Muel says, your best bet is download a live linux distro like Knoppix from you laptop, burn it to a CD using imgburn (google it) and then put it in your computer, change boot priority in your BIOS to CD drive an then when says on your computer monitor 'press any key to boot from cd' hit the spacebar and start up Knoppix, navigate to your hard drive which should be shown up on the Knoppix desktop, find the work you've done, plug a USB memory stick in and save your work.

Reading the previous post, the clicking noise would most likely be hard drive related as it's really the only mechanical part thats most likely to fail and cause start up problems. If the computer seems like it's booting up, do you get the post screen when you first turn it on? An then before it goes to boot windows you just get a blank screen and it gives up? If that's not the case then you should be able to get the work with a little effort.

As Muel says, your best bet is download a live linux distro like Knoppix from you laptop, burn it to a CD using imgburn (google it) and then put it in your computer, change boot priority in your BIOS to CD drive an then when says on your computer monitor 'press any key to boot from cd' hit the spacebar and start up Knoppix, navigate to your hard drive which should be shown up on the Knoppix desktop, find the work you've done, plug a USB memory stick in and save your work.

I think Ive solved in. Googled the problem last night and went through a few solutions that I could try myself. One was a problem with the ram, Took out 1 stick of ram and its working fine. booted up, copied all my photos and uni work onto my external. I assume there was a problem with the stick. Guessing I can just buy another 1gb of ram and back to normal but not 100% on that (dont fancy just running 1gb ram with PS and lightroom open at the sametime). Glad it was something simple.

Don't assume anything, could be the ram, or the slot on the motherboard, or the memory controller messing up, or the BIOS needed resetting, or some spazzy latencies or anything really.

Download MemTest, and run it for 2 hours with every stick/slot combination, and if you get no errors on all 4 tests then stick both in, reset the CMOS battery (this will reset the bios so you'll have to set anything you've changed), then try and get it to boot with both.

• 2 weeks later...

Right i have a problem that im hoping some of you fine fellows can assist me on. Im a little computer retarded, so you may have to break it down a little bit. I have also researched this problem, but not found anyhtign that helps, unless i pay for software that im not sure is any good :P

I recently bought a new (well secondhand) desktop computer, all works fine. Reason for buying is because my previous one was was failing to load its hd...unless i reinstalled windows, then it worked momentarily before not working again. it was also pretty old and due for replacement. Replacement computer works fine :)

My problem is, i wanted some information off the 2 sata drives i had on my old computer (music, films, and especially photos) and after connecting them to my new computer directly to the motherboard, it wouldnt even boot up. I then proceeded to buy a cable kit off ebay to allow me to use my hd as usb devices, hoping that i can acess the files whilst in explorer. Both hd are recognized by the computer, and the drivers install automatically. One wont show up in 'my computer', but doesnt bring up any faults on the screen. The other shows up in 'my computer'...but asks me to format it and wont let me do anyhting else with it. This is using xp. I also tried them both on my laptop with windows 7, and the same thing happens.

I have tried some ide drives on there, and they work fine and i can access them, so that indicates the cable is not at fault. Anybody got any ideas as to how i can get these drives working? Be kinda nice to get the files i want, format both hd and then have them in my desktop for back up

Thanks in advance :)

Right i have a problem that im hoping some of you fine fellows can assist me on. Im a little computer retarded, so you may have to break it down a little bit. I have also researched this problem, but not found anyhtign that helps, unless i pay for software that im not su.......

Ok kinda get what your trying to do, have your made sure you hard drives are set the master and slave? and there in the right order on the ide cable? also check in the bios as to what's being red (this way you don't have wait to make it load and login before you see if it doesn't work)

My problem is, i wanted some information off the 2 sata drives i had on my old computer (music, films, and especially photos) and after connecting them to my new computer directly to the motherboard, it wouldnt even boot up.

Tis a funny one that, if this didn't work or the USB conversion option, I'd say they're probably corrupted/fecked.

Ok kinda get what your trying to do, have your made sure you hard drives are set the master and slave? and there in the right order on the ide cable? also check in the bios as to what's being red (this way you don't have wait to make it load and login before you see if it doesn't work)

Im booting them as usb, not off motherboard now. On the hd cases it says 'master/slave jumper notrequired' so i assume that means i don't need to set them up with that bridging pin thingy that my ide drives have?

Tis a funny one that, if this didn't work or the USB conversion option, I'd say they're probably corrupted/fecked.

I had a feeling this was going to be the problem, due to it asking for one to be formatted. Is there any software i can use that would try and access the drives regardless of corruption? They both spin up nicely and stuff, and dont sound like rough like a previous hardrive failure i had did.

Been mulling this over and got a few more ideas but first, does the device show in the 'Device Manager'?

also, on the xp system do you have SP3 installed? and what version of windows 7 do you have?

(some version of windows 7 stop certain 'normal' functions unless you pay more)

Edited by Desmond Derv