Pc Tech Support

Dr. Nick Riviera

Been mulling this over and got a few more ideas but first, does the device show in the 'Device Manager'?

also, on the xp system do you have SP3 installed? and what version of windows 7 do you have?

(some version of windows 7 stop certain 'normal' functions unless you pay more)

Right, here is where my retardedness shows through....

Whats device manager?

Xp system (pro 64) has no updates as far as im aware, i think whoever owned this has installed a wank copy and it wont update, im probs gonna wipe it and whack on 7 cos its getting annoying.

7 on my laptop is the pro 64bit

Hope that helps!

Ok kinda get what your trying to do, have your made sure you hard drives are set the master and slave? and there in the right order on the ide cable? also check in the bios as to what's being red (this way you don't have wait to make it load and login before you see if it doesn't work)

It's a SATA drive, there is no Master/Slave setting.

Im booting them as usb, not off motherboard now. On the hd cases it says 'master/slave jumper notrequired' so i assume that means i don't need to set them up with that bridging pin thingy that my ide drives have?

I had a feeling this was going to be the problem, due to it asking for one to be formatted. Is there any software i can use that would try and access the drives regardless of corruption? They both spin up nicely and stuff, and dont sound like rough like a previous hardrive failure i had did.

The pins on the drive are usually to alter the amount of storage on them - for example you may have a 500GB drive, the pin position may make it use 250GB for example - so ignore them.

What exactly have you purchased on Ebay? Got a link to it?

You can check if its in the device list by going to Start, Run and typing devmgmt.msc

Each SATA controller can only handle ONE sata drive;

1. Plug each required hard drive into its own plug on the other board - no split cables or anything like that

2. Boot into the BIOS and ensure that the original computer drive its the one its booting onto

3. Boot windows and go to Control Panel > Administrator Tools > Computer Management and then Disk Management - see if they're showing up in there.

I'll post more ideas tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Xp On my netbook (Acer aspire one..) (Y) Will give that a try and see how it goes, thanks a lot :)

Edit: Just ran the scan and it found 928 problems...Thats bad, isn't it haha?

You can run those sort of programs that are meant to magicly resolve missing files on brand new computers and find hundreds of apparant problems. You'd be better off doing a clean install of XP rather than trying to install missing registry entries and files with 3rd party software.

They do find problems and sort them out. The missing files aren't usually found by Eusing but it finds all the unused ones that are left behind when programs are uninstalled, then removes them and low and behold, it runs faster. It can however rename them and mend broken links, which is probably why they recommend it.

A clean concise registry is always going to run faster than a bloated one. :P

Edited by Muel

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a problem with iTunes writing library files - it keeps saying permission denied. the problem is probably that the iTunes folder is in my documents and is set to read only. Is there any way to permanently lock the iTunes folder as read/write but keep it in my documents? Or give iTunes read/write permissions in the my documents folder? Running as administrator doesn't appear to solve the problem.

• 5 weeks later...

Problem with my optical drive. Was working fine yesterday, now it doesnt want to recognise discs (tried 5 just incase it was the disc)

It makes a kind of weird noise as if it wants to read it though and the green light stays solid for like 5 seconds, noise goes away and light turns off. Usually the light flashes and the play options thing pops onto the screen.

Could it be a dirty laser or is it fubar?

Usually fubared in my experience when they do that. :(

On they bright side they're like £15 now.

EDIT: Tried sticking a disc in then opening it in my computer? I'm guessing yes, but your post could mean no.

Edited by Muel

Hmmm, strange. Try unplugging it and booting up to the desktop, then shutting down and plugging it in again, then booting to the desktop again and test it again.

My old one would only work on the first boot after it had just been plugged in again, not the most useful of situations really. I just left the computer on none stop for about 2 months. :P

Problem with my optical drive. Was working fine yesterday, now it doesnt want to recognise discs (tried 5 just incase it was the disc)

It makes a kind of weird noise as if it wants to read it though and the green light stays solid for like 5 seconds, noise goes away and light turns off. Usually the light flashes and the play options thing pops onto the screen.

Could it be a dirty laser or is it fubar?

Checked the cables? I'm guessing this is a SATA drive considering it's only a 6 months or so old. I find that SATA cables losen easier than the old IDE interface - just make sure its fully seated and maybe try it in a different port.

If the power is there, the draw etc will still open and function, but with no sata the data wont send and so it won't be recognised.

If that doesn't work, do not purchase any lens cleaning fluids. Just go to your supplier and get a new one on warranty, I imagine you will get a 12 month warranty with this, although I could be wrong.

Pretty much depends on how much you paid for it.

How tricky is it to set up two IDE Hard Drives on one IDE cable?

I've got a cable that allows it and a second hard drive on order...

For reference, it's an old PC so SATA wasn't an option, I'm fixing up my partners parents PC - more ram, second hard drive etc...

Incredibly easy, just have to set one as the master and one as the slave. You said this one is going to be a second hard drive? Just make sure the jumper on the current one is on the Master setting, then the new one is on Slave, then plug it in and format it. (Y)

Checked the cables? I'm guessing this is a SATA drive considering it's only a 6 months or so old. I find that SATA cables losen easier than the old IDE interface - just make sure its fully seated and maybe try it in a different port.

If the power is there, the draw etc will still open and function, but with no sata the data wont send and so it won't be recognised.

If that doesn't work, do not purchase any lens cleaning fluids. Just go to your supplier and get a new one on warranty, I imagine you will get a 12 month warranty with this, although I could be wrong.

Pretty much depends on how much you paid for it.

Computer died that night so had to reformat but instead of XP went for 7. What a difference! Ill give the drive another go now I have a working operating system. The draw would open and close, could hear the drive spin up asif it was going to read but it kind of made a weird constant noise then went quiet.

It's this one

Bought it from there also on the 19.12.09.

Got an old IDE one in at the moment to get me by, does the job so far just looks cluttered even though i have a round IDE cable.

Computer died that night so had to reformat but instead of XP went for 7. What a difference! Ill give the drive another go now I have a working operating system. The draw would open and close, could hear the drive spin up asif it was going to read but it kind of made a weird constant noise then went quiet.

It's this one

Bought it from there also on the 19.12.09.

Got an old IDE one in at the moment to get me by, does the job so far just looks cluttered even though i have a round IDE cable.

The drive has a 24 month warranty. However you need to figure out if this is a defective drive or a problem on your system.

First of all, I'd just uninstall it completely and then reinstall the drivers. If it doesn't work after that, give them a call and request a replacement :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, just installed windows 7 ultimate and have a problem with games running in full screen.

I have played the game on xp on my laptop and worked in full screen now with windows 7 its like watching an old movie with black all around and a small picture.

All my graphics and drivers are Up to date.

Looking on goggle and at some of the forums its a common problem with windows 7 and games :( any thoughts on how i can get around this?

changed all the setting in the game and on the laptop settings. the only way i have found is to run a virtual windows PX but this seems silly for windows 7 being the best :unsure:

thanks in advance for any answers (Y)

Hi, just installed windows 7 ultimate and have a problem with games running in full screen.

I have played the game on xp on my laptop and worked in full screen now with windows 7 its like watching an old movie with black all around and a small picture.

All my graphics and drivers are Up to date.

Looking on goggle and at some of the forums its a common problem with windows 7 and games :( any thoughts on how i can get around this?

changed all the setting in the game and on the laptop settings. the only way i have found is to run a virtual windows PX but this seems silly for windows 7 being the best :unsure:

thanks in advance for any answers (Y)

Definitely sure you've not got them set to windowed mode?

What games you trying to play? Will give a better idea of what the problem might be.

Definitely sure you've not got them set to windowed mode?

What games you trying to play? Will give a better idea of what the problem might be.

They are set for windows!

im trying to plan generals zero hour..

The drive has a 24 month warranty. However you need to figure out if this is a defective drive or a problem on your system.

First of all, I'd just uninstall it completely and then reinstall the drivers. If it doesn't work after that, give them a call and request a replacement :)

I think it was the virus I had the fubar'd it. After installing 7, it works just like it used to :D

They are set for windows!

im trying to plan generals zero hour..

Zero Hour works fine on my 64bit Windows 7.

Sounds like the game's screen resolution is not set to desktop screen ratio or you got the game running in windowed mode. Both of these things can be changed in the game's video options.

Just checked the video options for the game - I'm stumped as to why it's doing that. You could try changing the screen resolution from either 800x600 to 1024x768 or the other way around.

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz

Zero Hour works fine on my 64bit Windows 7.

Sounds like the game's screen resolution is not set to desktop screen ratio or you got the game running in windowed mode. Both of these things can be changed in the game's video options.

Just checked the video options for the game - I'm stumped as to why it's doing that. You could try changing the screen resolution from either 800x600 to 1024x768 or the other way around.

Im running the 32bit windows 7 :angry: not sure if my laptop would take the 64bit. i have an emachines E525.