Anyone On T-f In The Raf ?

Barbara Logan-Price

First you'll have a Presentation, in maybe a month or so, they'll go through some basic stuff with you like what you need to know for your interview, what you should expect at the interview, through selection, and through your basic training. After you've done that you'll be given the opportunity to ask questions and book an interview. I'm not sure when that will be for you, but AFCOs open on the 5th of Jan, so I'll be phoning them to book my interview.

First selection is march, so if you read up on what is required of you in terms of fitness you'll be able to start training now if you haven't all ready.

First you'll have a Presentation, in maybe a month or so, they'll go through some basic stuff with you like what you need to know for your interview, what you should expect at the interview, through selection, and through your basic training. After you've done that you'll be given the opportunity to ask questions and book an interview. I'm not sure when that will be for you, but AFCOs open on the 5th of Jan, so I'll be phoning them to book my interview.

First selection is march, so if you read up on what is required of you in terms of fitness you'll be able to start training now if you haven't all ready.

i don't think i would have applied in time for the march selection .............

weapons technician

how long did it take for you to get a interview after you sent you're application off

Hey,

Im not in the RAF but trying pretty damn hard to get in! At uni at the moment in the Air Squadron and working towards becoming a pilot bursar.

Im not sure how it works for weapons tech but for a commission application it took about 3 weeks after I sent application until I had my presentation then a further month for my filter interview. Then about 4 months for a Cranwell date. Could be totally different for enlisted applications though.

All I can say is that you should be ready for your interview before you send the application. Read all of the RAF website over and over again. Learn about all your training, both where and how long it takes. Read the papers and keep up to date with current affairs. Also, know all your types and the roles that they carry out. In the interview they will ask all about your life. Make sure you answer all when questions with both a year and month. It may be worth getting a visit to a RAF base and talking to some serving personnel, it shows that you really are keen. You can never be to prepared really. Just remember that during selection you are only competing against your self - not the other candidates.

After speaking to several techies that have spent the last 20 years arming tornado my only thought is that it may become a tad boring?

Anyway, if you try hard enough - you will get in.

Good luck :)

Gordy

Hey,

Im not in the RAF but trying pretty damn hard to get in! At uni at the moment in the Air Squadron and working towards becoming a pilot bursar.

Im not sure how it works for weapons tech but for a commission application it took about 3 weeks after I sent application until I had my presentation then a further month for my filter interview. Then about 4 months for a Cranwell date. Could be totally different for enlisted applications though.

All I can say is that you should be ready for your interview before you send the application. Read all of the RAF website over and over again. Learn about all your training, both where and how long it takes. Read the papers and keep up to date with current affairs. Also, know all your types and the roles that they carry out. In the interview they will ask all about your life. Make sure you answer all when questions with both a year and month. It may be worth getting a visit to a RAF base and talking to some serving personnel, it shows that you really are keen. You can never be to prepared really. Just remember that during selection you are only competing against your self - not the other candidates.

After speaking to several techies that have spent the last 20 years arming tornado my only thought is that it may become a tad boring?

Anyway, if you try hard enough - you will get in.

Good luck :)

Gordy

i will only do it till i can start training to be an officer

Check out the CIA World Fact Book 2008. Here.

Invaluable in finding out about world issues and what's going on where.

It will be a vital resource in your preparation for your interview and your selection.

At least I've found it really helpful so far.

I worked for about a year at RAF Ternhill 632vgs as a volunteer, it was quite cool.

I also did 4 months in the Royal Marines before I left for various reasons.

I'd definitley say do all you can to become an officer, the lifestyle, pay, accomodation, food is so much better and you don't get shat on quite so much. I would imagine being an NCO in the Raf may be better than in the Army or Marines but still go for it, you might regret not trying like I did.

I'm not sure how old you are but if you are of an eligible age you should join your local ATC, it is a massive advantage for selection and for adjusting to military life.

If you fancy a doss join the Navy, their standards are a total joke. The selection process is stupidly easy too.

I'm getting an Raf VR-T commission sometime in the next year, at the moment i'm an acting officer in the local CCF, dicking on the cadets, good times...

I'm in the RAF at Cosford doing my trade training. Also happens to be where Weapons Techs train too, but I'm sure you know that. What do you guys want to know? Basic training, fitness/medical tests, things that'll help you out....

Oh and I'm scopse

• 3 weeks later...
Use the practice test they give you and don't worry. You can expect the same sort of questions in the real thing, just different numbers etc.

the practise ones seem abit too easy though .........

will i get told on the day if i have passed or not ?

Edited by Alex_Davies

Yeah they'll tell you right after the test, everyone will go into the waiting room an they'll call you in separately to tell each of you your score, and to show you if your score is high enough for the trade you want to do. Just practice as much as you can, adding decimals together, adding fractions together, basic electrical circuit diagram, memory tests. You'll do fine, it is a piece of piss to be fair.

My friend has just applied to become a pilot, hes got 6 years in the cadets as summut or other and he came 6th out of about 3000 applicants. Top 4 were accepted. Becoming a pilot is the hardest thing to do in the RAF. Everything else is still hard but not as piccy as becoming a pilot. So just be yourself really.