Phat Pads & New Phat Backings

Phatmike

They're nothing like as tight as the Heatsinks, still easily as secure as powerpads backings so no issues, just means they've got more float!

They are only 6mm thick though, so you might have to file the prongs down on your slaves, but this just means that you can set the slaves about 4mm further in so it makes it harder to catch your ankles.

Pads are STILL wearing in, the wear rate is insane! They're still not worn to the contour of the rim, on the lower corner I can slip a piece of paper underneath on both pads, but they're getting there. :P

Getting really good now aswell. On a rim that holds a grind better than an Atomz/Try-All they'd be amazing. They're still good on my Atomz rim, it's just the grind goes blunt after a few rides so they stop working as well.

They're nothing like as tight as the Heatsinks, still easily as secure as powerpads backings so no issues, just means they've got more float!

They are only 6mm thick though, so you might have to file the prongs down on your slaves, but this just means that you can set the slaves about 4mm further in so it makes it harder to catch your ankles.

Pads are STILL wearing in, the wear rate is insane! They're still not worn to the contour of the rim, on the lower corner I can slip a piece of paper underneath on both pads, but they're getting there. :P

Getting really good now aswell. On a rim that holds a grind better than an Atomz/Try-All they'd be amazing. They're still good on my Atomz rim, it's just the grind goes blunt after a few rides so they stop working as well.

Riding in the snow got them really good today, by the end of the ride they were pretty loud and holding much better, really happy with them! I don't think they're totally worn in yet from looking at them, but they're more than good enough for me now. :P

My grind isn't amazing either, it's medium but it's gone blunt, but they still work really well, they just needed to wear in. (Y)

Edited by Muel

whats these pads like on a smooth rim ? for the summer

Hey Ashley,

Though I've not used them myself on smooth rims, a number of riders have, and reported great feedback. :) A nice squeek with decent hold.

I still recommend a nice, harsh grind for maximum performance though.

Glad yours are working much better now Muel, after seeing your grind on Saturday I'm not surprised they've been taking a while to bed in! :)

Been running my set of Phat pads now for about 3-4 weeks, and these are seriously very good pads in all conditions! I set them up on a harsh, fresh grind and the performance was immediate! Great bite and hold, with a nice honk! I've also used these in muddy, wet conditions where the grind really died out. The pads did not however! Offered great performance in these types of conditions when comparing to previous pads (Heatsink, Koxx). Mike, you've really done a top job with these pads, and i can recommended them to anyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ben,

Yeah website is on it's way. :) Had a few holdups, but it's getting there slowly. :)

And yeah, the pads are a standard fit. (Y)

Lots of people have been asking me, so I'll post up here - I will be bringing plenty with me to sell on the London ride. Try and let me know in advance if you do want some, but just give me a shout on the ride if you want some!

It was great to see everyone in London - also nice to see quite a few riders already using the pads. :)

Outstanding orders are all going out today, so they should be with you tomorrow.

Obviously they're now back in stock and are ready for orders!

Mike.

rode with them all day in london, at the end of the day they nicely bedded in and where braking like nothing else ive ever had before! sharp bite on my freshly ground rim and a nice noise coming with it to wake up everyone on my ride home :D

thanks again mike, definitely best pads i had EVER!