Phat Pads & New Phat Backings

Phatmike

Right ive decided to buy these pads, how do you want me to pay? :)

you wont regret it, ive got a pair on my bike. very powerful even with a spongey magura that needs bleeding :P

had to stanly knift a mil or 2 off 1 of them, piston hit the crank arm otherwise. still loads left on it though :D

thanks mike

you wont regret it, ive got a pair on my bike. very powerful even with a spongey magura that needs bleeding :P

had to stanly knift a mil or 2 off 1 of them, piston hit the crank arm otherwise. still loads left on it though :D

thanks mike

Perfect mines not bled proberly haaa.

you soon shall be adding to these positive things :P

i dont think ill change pads now, will prbs stick with these for a good few years :)

1 thing i have noticed, my pads arnt loud yet but for some obsure reason, my echo ones that didnt used to be loud now are on the front. much to peoples dislike, they are very loud lmao

Edited by ZHI-sam

Mike, I think there has been some sort of mix up. You've sent me two left hand pads.

:lol:

And for like £7 more than the crm price, you get cnc backings with pads already glued in (Y)

*pressed in - no glue required. :)

But yeah, they're certainly a much better choice then CRM's from what I've heard and used myself!

You think crm's and phatpads are identical? :S

Left and right pads, Grant. :P

so when i buy refills (which ofcourse i will) i can pretty easily just pull the existing material out, yeah?

Yeah, they'll pull out and press in without excessive force. :) Not had any issues of any pads ripping out the backings yet - pretty sure we've got it sussed!

Mike.

Hey mike! money was payed in today about 5, can't wait to test these XD :)

Pads will be with you tomorrow. :) Hope you enjoy them.

I'm pleased to announce another PhatWorks rider for the 2009 season - Ben Slinger will now be using Phat pads this year. I'm looking forward to having Ben on board to represent on the competition, demo and street scene!

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd give some detailed review on these pads as they are truly quality pads.

Anyone can claim certain pads 'are the best' after few rides or 'they work immensely well under tropical thunderstorm' etc and having the usual doubts about such claims, I was completely blown away at how well these pads work.

I'm not exactly light rider either, 90kg or so running a frame without a booster with sharp ground rims.

The first night I popped the Phat Pads onto my newly bled Magura's it was a chilly 2°C weather outside. The rim was ground fresh few days prior but figured the pads will embed within first few rides. If you rub the Phat Pads together out of the bag it's grabby unlike Rock blue's or other pads that need some time to embed (or in my case I just grind a thin layer). Of course being so grabby out of the bag made me skeptical thinking 'these pads will wear down fast'.

Onto riding, couple squeaks braking lightly and I can feel the brakes slip at the very end as expected. It only took few minutes before the pads started to grab even under the cold weather. My Magura's felt sluggish at the lever but the Phat Pads seemed to work better with time. Rolling gap to rear held very well and the brakes became louder. The sound that it makes, at least with my setup, is a tad bit higher pitched than the Rock blue's.

Few things I noticed with the Phat Pads CNC backings. They fit really well into the slave cylinders unlike traditional pads with plastic backings that have a bit of play. That may not sound like a big deal but as the Phat Pads locked completely, unlike with the plastic backings, I didn't feel the vibration from the brakes traveling through the frame. It's a very clean & efficient braking but with an aggressive bite (a phrase everyone seems to love using).

This was the first night, it was probably 30 minutes of riding but thoroughly enjoyed the way the pads handled. Over the next couple weeks I rode both urban and natural, from the pads being able to hold my weight with missed taps and pedal up's. I get this strong feeling that I won't need a brake booster as there have been no change with the performance.

Few things did change however. After about eight hours of pure awesomeness (from Kung Fu Panda, I love that movie) in brake performance, I noticed my rim surface is now dull. And the brake pads still squeaked like a loud hog. This is where Rock blue's would start to disappoint and needed a fresh grind. With Phat Pads, it seems to work well with dull ground rims, almost convinced that it will work really well out of the bag on a smooth rim.

The pads did wear off somewhat after eight hours. Whopping 0.5mm total according to my digital caliper. Nothing you'd notice with a naked eye. Whereas with Rock blue's and other pads I'd have to worry about braking performance after few rides, needing to throw in a fresh grind or having thought of bringing tar, I kind of forgot about all that with Phat Pads which is very nice.

For some, even though the initial purchase may seem higher priced, it's actually much more economical in the long run with the performance that outweighs everything. I highly recommend Phat Pads, definitely a perfect 5-star pads in the market today :)

PS: I didn't have a chance to ride in any wet condition so if that happens I'll post up any updates.