Anybody Surf?

Davetrials

Well im hopefully going to be spendin the next 3 years of my life living next to the coast, so a wet suit and surfboard are on top of my big list of things to buy, if i cant ride trials, ill need to do somthing.

i have no idea about any of it, is there a english forum people go on.

i dont even know the general price of a board yet lol.

so if anybody can gimme a hand getting started that would be great.

My girlfriend does, but that's not much use.

I honestly was going to put, jon i know your girlfriend does, dont tell me she does cos its no use:P.

and that thing about the "dudes" It sounds simelar to when you go to a skate park, theres always the big boys riding a certain ramp, and they all gang up, but i was always one of the guys who went up there with them, tried somthing daft and usually earnt there respect :P

either that or ill have alot of enemys.

I would try it before you launch into spending loads of money. I've snowboarded for quite a bit, and a lot of people compare surfing to riding in fresh powder on a snowboard. So I thought I should try surfing, and I was expecting to love it. I did a week (in Morocco) a couple of years ago and it was OK, but I didn't love it at all. Perhaps I didn't get good enough to really enjoy it, or perhaps if you can already snowboard well then learning another boardsport from the beginning might seem boring. I might go again one day, but I'm not too fussed really.

There are a few things you wanna bear in mind before surfing.

Firstly what are the waves like where you live? If there not that big your gonna need to surf on a long board as a short one wont really catch the waves esp if your learning on one you will get nothing.

Rent a beginners foam board for a few days 3 days. And on that and you should be surfing.

Then you can buy a board. Your probs best off buying something mid height not to long and not a short board, that way you get the best of both. Can surf the little waves and once you get better can move further out to the big ones.

Its not amazing advise but its better than anything.

I found it pretty easy and good fun when I did it, used to head down a every other month or so with a set of mates, but everyone seems to have moved out of that "fad" but yea its really good fun, as said before you need to know what type of waves before you can decide what type of waves your going to be riding, before you can even think about buying a board. We used to use this website (although I can't for the life of me think what it was!) Which used to give tide timetables, break, and hight of the waves, which we used to check out before setting off, so search the area you plan to be in.

Not sure it will be ideal for your knee's, because as you jump up you really bend your knee's fully before standing up. But I rode a wide range of waves - had really good fun on tiny waves on a longboard walking the board hanging 5 (got a 10 once but it ended with my face going through the sand) and on a short board curving and cutting.

But had awsome fun, getting out back was an effort though.

Jaffacakes does.

yech

It all goes on my how tall you are really. If your just starting and your around 6ftish (which for some reason I think you are?), I'd say get a 7+ft swelly board for a week or so, just to give you some stablilty, and get you standing up. Pretty much, the wetsuit should fit you snugly so no cold ass water gets int there, but snugly in a good way so you can still move around. I wouldnt buy one off the internet, go to a surf shop and make sure you try it on. As for a board, I would get a 2nd hand one if your just starting, riding boards right into the sand is a scetchy nose snapping buisness.

but yea. It really depends on where your going. If your coming to cornwall way, I have a few mates that work in shops that could sort you out with some cheap gear. but the waves arent always around. I'll give out some better advise tomorro ish, Im sturgging to type at the mo >_<

But just to re-cap. I would get a nice new suit, that fits well, not too thick, not too thin, but a nice, and look after it, wash it off in fresh water after every surf, or it goes all gammy. really for a top notch suit your looking at £200 ish, and for a lush new board your looking £300. Pretty much the better you get, the smaller the board you need, because the more balance and speed you have. It's really hard to explain mate, PM me if you want more info, or im not making sence. But if your just starting Id say, rent a board and suit, then take it from there...

Me and a couple of mates are hitting mexico this winter for a nice little surfing holiday. 3 years in one place seems a bit extreme, do you just want some time out of what your doing? move around while you can!

Well im hopefully going to be spendin the next 3 years of my life living next to the coast, so a wet suit and surfboard are on top of my big list of things to buy, if i cant ride trials, ill need to do somthing.

Are you injured dave? trials 10ft away from the sea, on natty is where its at!

Edited by Jaffacakes

I HAVE A GF EVERYONE!

Getting into something just because your right next to it isn't really the best way to start a sport / hobby. I live 20 mins away from a ski (i want to say resort, but it's not, it's just a snowy mountain), everyone says i should take up snowboarding but i have no real interest what so ever.

On the other hand though i went body boarding once in a wet suit that was incredibly too small for me and it's was really good fun. So like's been said, borrow some stuff and see what you think.

Getting into something just because your right next to it isn't really the best way to start a sport / hobby. I live 20 mins away from a ski (i want to say resort, but it's not, it's just a snowy mountain), everyone says i should take up snowboarding but i have no real interest what so ever.

On the other hand though i went body boarding once in a wet suit that was incredibly too small for me and it's was really good fun. So like's been said, borrow some stuff and see what you think.

Ive always wanted to try it, but never had anywere to do it, so i finally have the chance!!

and mr jaffa cake, i am injured yer, i wont have the ability to ride trials anymore, due to ankle problems.

ill reply more later when im sober, atm im hung over.

I HAVE A VISA MARRIAGE EVERYONE!

I've tried it a few times, and I can't do it for the life of me.

I can't offer any useful advice other than make sure you can do it before shelling out loads :P

Sure you'll be fine though Dave, plus it gives you an excuse to buy some nice waterproof L lenses for surf pics (Y)

Random fact: My uncle was a childhood friend of Farrell o'shea...

Edited by adamtrials

Yeah surfing is great, do it.

If your not fit already you soon will be.

I used to Surf Llangenith beach in Gower (South Wales) near Swansea, that is a serious paddle out at low tide, but when I recovered from f**king my shoulder up (Broken dislocated), I went surfing and ended up paddling in circles. I looked stupid as f**k.

I sortof gave up then and have only been maybe 20 times in the last 10 yrs, all the beaches in Gower are so rammed now it has taken the fun out of it, with people dropping in on each other all over the place. People that think they own the wave.

Deffinately hire a board or buy second hand though because it isn't for everyone, usually you get full on hooked or don't like it at all.

I don't know how much surf you get actually in Plymouth but have been to many beaches in Cornwall and Devon about 15yrs ago and when it's working the surf is fab.

I bet the beaches down there are even more rammed than the Gower beaches though esp in Summer.

Good advice from Jaffackes about the wetsuit, if you don't get one that fits really well it makes it really hard.

Like Simpson said sometimes the best fun you have on a board is in little waves on a long board, and it's miles easier.

Oh and don't go surfing in the south west of France, because when you come back from dry hair paddle outs and one or two strokes to catch the wave you'll be really pissed off you live in Britain.

Matt

I've never done any surfing, but I've done a lot of body boarding, (Take the piss if you like but the surf was always tiny on anglesey, and that's the only place we went.)

I got a full O'Niell wetsuit with detachable arms, and I got it for £50 because it was the only one left in the shop! Fitted me perfectly from new. That should probably worry me though because it's a womens ones...

The guys talking about getting one that fits are so right though, I had ones before that felt comfy enough, but then I got my womens one and it was just snug all over. (Started getting tight on my shoulders though when I was 15/16).