Tribalzine News

Ben Swales

Blind Trials Rider (2)

- The second video from Matt Gilman, a blind trials rider from the States - super inspiring stuff!

French Championships - Results and Photos

- Results, photos and write-ups from the French Championships in Oz-en-Oisans last weekend.

Oz-en-Oisans on France 2

- A seven minute segment from a programme on French national TV channel France 2 with footage from the French National Championship and an interview (in French) with French, European and World Champion Gilles Coustellier.

Superlight Rockman Kortz

- A short feature on a superlight Rockman Kortz build - just 7.89kg! (Brave choice of front tyre though!)

The French Championships by Vélo Vert

- A series of 'photo reports' from the French Championships in Oz-en-Oisans.

Edited by Ben Swales

I don't think there are any more TV show videos like that, but there are plenty of competition vidoes from various World Cup and National Championship rounds - have a look through this thread for the video articles, which are linked to the site.

Also, Team Ropraz have done a lot of nice comp videos recently - check them out here.

On another note - I saw your photos from Loxely Common in Sheffield the other day - fancy meeting for a ride down that way sometime next week/weekend?

The Canberra World Cup Sections

- The 2009 World Championships will take place between the 1st and the 9th of September in Canberra, the Australian capital. Here are the first photos of the sections, which are currently under construction.

The Return of Tibo!

- A short video of a demo by Thibaut Marriaux and Florian Tournier, just two weeks after Tibo underwent a risky surgical procedure on his brain!

Tra and Martin Petrén

- A short article on TRA's latest video, filmed in Bergen alongside 17 year old Swedish Rider Martin Petrén.

Edited by Ben Swales

I don't think there are any more TV show videos like that, but there are plenty of competition vidoes from various World Cup and National Championship rounds - have a look through this thread for the video articles, which are linked to the site.

Also, Team Ropraz have done a lot of nice comp videos recently - check them out here.

On another note - I saw your photos from Loxely Common in Sheffield the other day - fancy meeting for a ride down that way sometime next week/weekend?

thanks for the link, and hell yeah. would love to. im going on holiday next thursday but i can ride anytime before. Ill ask duncy h aswell and try and get mr kenny to come. That was my 1st proper time on rocks. Were not to bad but its a brilliant spot for any riders ability, pm me and cheers for link !!

Edited by Mr Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Interview with Gilles Coustellier

- An interview with the French, European and World Champion in which he talks about his last few comps, his goals in Canberra and his fear of flying!

Oz-en-Oisans Elite Final

- A short write-up and a series of photos from the Elite final of French Cup round in Oz-en-Oisans.

Oz-en-Oisans Expert Final

- A short write-up and a series of photos from the Expert final of French Cup round in Oz-en-Oisans.

Oz-en-Oisans National Final

- A short write-up and a series of photos from the National class final of French Cup round in Oz-en-Oisans.

Pierre-Charles - Street & Natural

- A short article on Pierre-Charles' crazy new video - interview to follow soon!

Edited by Ben Swales

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK! Dissertation's done and handed in so I'm making a start on the translations again. For the time being I'll just be working on the articles that we think are most important, but I aim to get fully up to date as soon as I can.

If there are any articles that people are particularly interested in, drop me a PM and I'll get round to it as soon as I can.

Gilles is still the boss!

- Full write-ups of the Elite, Junior and Women's finals from the World Championships in Canberra this weekend

TMS... new website and bikes!

- another look at the new Evo 3 bikes (which should have arrived at the TMS HQ today!) as well as the new website and components.

Ozonys bikes at super-low prices!

- Spherebike and Ozonys have teamed up to bring us an excellent offer on the 2008 XR 20 and XZ 26 bikes!

Edited by Ben Swales

The Canberra Elite 26" Final

- 30 or so pictures from the Elite 26" final in Canberra.

The Canberra Junior 26" Final

- Photos from the Junior 26" final in Canberra.

Gilles and Kenny in Canberra

- A series of photos of the Elite 26" medalists sent to us by Reese, a young rider from Sydney

Edited by Ben Swales

I certainly hope not.

I tend to agree with Peter Fish's viewpoint that (as it is in football) the observer's decision is final, irrespective of after-the-fact video footage. The observers are only human and as such will make mistakes from time to time, there were two obserevrs in the section, neither of whom saw the 'five' in question.

I think that if anything should come of this, it should be that the UCI only use experienced professional observers for big international events.

The UCI World Cup Final

- All you need to know about the 2009 UCI World Cup Final in Rotorua this weekend, already under way! Programme, info and photos of the sections...

The BIU Worlds in Photos

- A gallery of photos from the BIU World Championship in China, a spectacular event unlike any we've seen before!

Supermance... Disappointed yet determined!

- Vincent Hermance tells us briefly about his impressions of the Canberra World Cup and his plans for next season

Edited by Ben Swales

I certainly hope not.

I tend to agree with Peter Fish's viewpoint that (as it is in football) the observer's decision is final, irrespective of after-the-fact video footage. The observers are only human and as such will make mistakes from time to time, there were two obserevrs in the section, neither of whom saw the 'five' in question.

I think that if anything should come of this, it should be that the UCI only use experienced professional observers for big international events.

The observer's decision maybe final, but inaccurate and costly. The fact that we are only human and can make mistakes is all the more reason to use video replay analysis. Maradona's hand of god goal that the referee didn't see it but millions of us did.

The Koxx Hydroxx LT II

- A new comp-specific version of the popular Hydroxx II, now available.

Rusevelt - I see what you mean, I'd just be worried that people would be constantly questioning observers and referring to the video footage for decisions. The main problem in Canberra I think is that the observers were inexperienced, I've heard that there were questionable decisions across the board, something that I haven't heard about happening at European comps.

Edited by Ben Swales

The Ozonys Cannibal Black Light

- The new 2009 Ozonys Cannibal, now available in a 'dark' colour scheme. Bruno Arnold tells us about the full build soon to be available from all Ozonys dealers.

New Cranks From Rockman

-A brief look at the new forged cranks from Rockman

Forged Try-All Cranks

- Max from the Coulommiers K-124 House tells us a bit about the forged Try-All Cranks.

Edited by Ben Swales

Yeah, that new Ozonys is well nice! If only I had some extra cash lying about....

I've seen the Canberra video, and it certainly does look like a 5 - I certainly would have called it if I'd been observing. Still, the observer obviously didn't see it or realise that it was a five, and unfortunately for Kenny, that's what counted on the day. This certainly calls into question the experience of observers - the Canberra observers seem to have been inexperienced and not necessarily 'up to the job', which is surprising given the calibre of the event and the titles etc. at stake - I would have expected the UCI to make sure that all officials were up to the job!

I'd still personally not like to see video footage being used as a 'third official' at trials comps, I think it'd become a very time consuming and petty process with certain riders appealing every decision made by the observer.