My Dead Phase 1.2 Frame

TJ.

I had mega chain stretch and it started eating my frame away so i took 8 links out of my chain (yes 8 full links) then I just back hopped lots and hopped up a like foot high wall and rolled off a 3 or 4 foot wall then saw that open up and its cracked nearly all the way round with a hairline crack now.

Edited by TJ.

The chain ring was damaged so as you peddled the chain was sticking on one tooth of the chain ring so instead of the chain passing over and away from the chain ring it stayed on the chain ring so as that tooth passed the frame the chain doubled over and went with the chain ring round instead of passing back towards the rear cog on the bottom and it jammed against the chain stay and the chain ring because it was doubled over. if that makes sense?

What the hell are you on about? i can't make any sense out what your saying. how can you chain it away at a frame Vertically when the chain runs horizontally, It must be you chain ring/freewheel/bash rubbing against it.

It's pretty obvious Connor, TJ just hasn't explained it exactly right.

He had a bent chainring yonks ago, which seemed to be causing chainsuck regularly, and due to the mega long standard chain he was running, the chainsuck was able to get pretty far and mash into the frame.

As I'm sure you know, chainsuck is the chain picking up on a tooth when it should be dropping off the cog.

There's actually a fair bit of clearence for the chainring itself on TJ's bike, but as on just about any trials frame ever made, chain suck will always end in chain/stay war.

Sadly, had someone with a bit more experience noticed this earlier, TJ's frame would more than likely still be fine.

However, it's a nice excuse to upgrade :)

If you want help building up a new frame I'm home in about 3 weeks TJ :)

See, now that serves you right for looking round it for cracks while i was stuffing my face in subway!! Didnt realise the hole was quite that big...

Oh well, as Prawney says, nice excuse for a spangley new frame :D

maybe you shouldnt stuff your face so much?

Here is my frame that i some how managed to kill, comments would be great thanks people.

DSC00590.jpg

DSC00591.jpg

DSC00592.jpg

DSC00593.jpg

DSC00596.jpg

Ive had 2 1.3 frames that did the same thing some how the chain was getting ripped up into the frame but luckly i was able to get them replaced for free :)

Edited by onza_basher

I had mega chain stretch and it started eating my frame away so i took 8 links out of my chain (yes 8 full links) then I just back hopped lots and hopped up a 2cm wall and rolled off a 4cm wall then saw that open up and its cracked nearly all the way round with a hairline crack now.
Edited by Dirty Hunty

Yar har, I had exactly the same problem 4-5 years ago on my Saracen Mad 2 Six and a new chainring sorted it out fine, so why haven't Phase / Mad / Saracen / Whatever, realised this problem and upgraded the chainring to be more durable / better machined to avoid chain suck?

Edited by Simpson

Jordan (Dirty Hunty) come back when you can back hop mate, At least I dont give up trials every 5 seconds because im shit and get bored. I carry on try and trying until i get better.

Edited by TJ.

should have spotted this ages ago, only needed a new chainring and a shorter chain might have helped

It only started when i was in plymouth riding rob. Took about ten mins from being perfect to being in that state.