Carbon Fiber Backings?!

RossMcd

Hello!

I was browsing around and I came across these! Link!

To be quite honest they dont look like they are a good quality backing, and would carbon fiber be an appropriate material to make backings from?

Discuss!

you get many differnent carbon fibre weaves some a lot stronger than others and a lot better quality.

it would be hard to figure out what its like, tend to find in low quality cheap stuff there will be little air bubbles. also thats a fake carbon fibre cover over that, carbon fibre raw doesnt look like that.

you get many differnent carbon fibre weaves some a lot stronger than others and a lot better quality.

it would be hard to figure out what its like, tend to find in low quality cheap stuff there will be little air bubbles. also thats a fake carbon fibre cover over that, carbon fibre raw doesnt look like that.

yes it is carbon, theyv just cut the shape from a solid rectangle of it. would be alot better if they pressurised carbon into a backing moul, and would also produce a good finish. ill makes some later for a laugh and post pics

seriously... whats wrong with alu backings? Anyone who says theyre too heavy needs a kick in the balls :/

There's no need to try saving weight with bachkings, I think. Cnc backings work just fine for me. :unsure:

if you make all these lil things, topcaps, pads, bar ends, lever blades etc and you could save a fair bit of weight. people buy cf levers and caps so why not pad backings

seriously... whats wrong with plastic backings?

theyre shit and snap and felxx crud loads and dont work as good all together.

You might save 20g over the whole bike. I had carbon lever blades when I had twin hopes on my Kot, they're were shite. Seriously weak, flexed loads and weren't as comfy as the old style mini lever blades.

I went over the bars once with the on and crack one of the blades, and it wasn't like it landed on it hard! (Hope replaced it for free though when I sent a load of other stuff in on warrenty. :wub:).

I'd tell anyone just to stick to aluminium. Carbon fibre stuff is greatfor stem stacks, singlespeed spacers, top caps etc but I wouldn't trust it for stuff that takes a load of force.

seriously... whats wrong with plastic backings?

they do flex, and everyone wants better brakes. carbon fiber backings absolutely have the potential to be much stiffer and lighter than plastic and cnc'd aluminum backings. whether or not these will actually do it is another issue.

as for how they look, you are all just spoiled. :) every other carbon part you see is just super finished and glossed over. this is what carbon fiber looks like - black. they probably could have done more on the finish, but they are just pad backings and they already cost $37.

Edited by durkie