The New Road Bike Thread :)

Sam-Addy A3

LOL,Glen you so need to get a f**king grip on reality.

I do exactly the same as you do with cars, what I've got is the shit and what everyone else has got is inferior.

But what your doing is like me saying a pedal car is faster than an electric one, it simply isn't!

Or for those after performance rather than posturing? If you're actually after a road bike, get gears.

I'm doing a 120 miler on my fixed soon.

Notice how I said performance, not just 'riding'. Doing long distance stuff without timing it or whatever is pretty much just a case of keeping your head together and just carrying on pedalling. Doing it fast is something totally different, and there's no way you'll beat someone on a roadbike with gears who's trying to go fast over that distance.

I know what you're saying about beating commuters and stuff, and I used to have fun doing that before, but you have to realise that not everyone else who's out on a bike is racing you. I've had times where I've ridden home from Euston in about 10-15mins before, but a few days ago it took me about 30mins 'cos I was tired and not in the mood to put effort in. I'm fairly sure that some of the people you've 'beaten' who are riding around are in the same sorta boat.

EDIT: To put it more logically in terms of fixed vs. geared, if you were racing over a set distance, unless your fixed gear was a harder ratio than the geared guy's bike, you're f**ked. Chances are that their largest front/smallest rear cog combo is going to be a harder (as in faster) gear than your fixed one, so they can just get into that and leave you for dust. Even if their highest gear was, say, 48:16 and you were running 48:16, they could still accelerate to top speed faster 'cos they've got the mechanical advantage of having gears so that's time they're making up on you.

The flywheel effect. It helps.

NOTE: I'm in a really f**king bad mood.

Explain to me, clearly, how this makes you faster than someone with gears over, say, a 120 mile undulating course.

Then, when you can't, crawl back into your mass of other riders who can't argue for themselves for shit.

All this from a member of the most respected road cycling magazine in the UK. Do any of our editorial team do your shitty little ride? No*.

*not that I know of. Too drunk to check.

Is there a road bike thread? Who votes I change this to one? :)

There's one hiding somewhere.

Also fatty quit being a tard.

Anyone riding a fixed rig on an undulating course would be much slower than an equal or worse rider on a geared rig. To efficiently climb you'd need a smaller ring on the front which = slower on the flats/descents, alternatively keeping a big ring up front you'd be using way too much energy and get a nice big lactic acid build up = slower on the flats/descents and tiring early.

Edited by ZeroMatt

Yeah, but that's only in terms of conserving your speed? I'm pretty sure it won't help get up hills in quite the same way that gears do...

Have you ever ridden up a hill on your fixed?

Flywheel, keeps your legs going so it's a bit of a push, and you just do it. And i bet i can go faster uphill than someone who's using a geared road bike properly. (as long as they're not some pro or something) It's sorta hard to explain, but the easy way is, gears, you spin loads going up hill, you might have the right cadence, but if you're breaking your balls trying to push a harder gear, you will get knackered quickly, so you'll sit in a comfy gear, which just won't get you many places fast. I can't say a massive amount about downhill, but mainly, front brake, unclip and just tuck down and you'll probably go as fast as the geared guy.

Flywheel, keeps your legs going so it's a bit of a push, and you just do it. And i bet i can go faster uphill than someone who's using a geared road bike properly. (as long as they're not some pro or something) It's sorta hard to explain, but the easy way is, gears, you spin loads going up hill, you might have the right cadence, but if you're breaking your balls trying to push a harder gear, you will get knackered quickly, so you'll sit in a comfy gear, which just won't get you many places fast. I can't say a massive amount about downhill, but mainly, front brake, unclip and just tuck down and you'll probably go as fast as the geared guy.

I've never ridden a road bike or a fixie but I can tell you right now that you're talking out of your arse! Going up a hill, if someone on a geared roadie bike, has a reasonably good technique (ie not stomping the pedals just nice and smooth), even if he stayed in the same gear all the way up the hill, with the same ratio as you, there'd be no difference between that and a fixie. At that point it just comes down to fitness, although, of course, we all know that you're going to be in the net Olympics FP, most likely kickin' that pussy Chris Hoy's arse, eh? However, if the hill started to get steeper or whatever, the road bike could change gears, get the cadence right, and pull away no problem.

LOL,Glen you so need to get a f**king grip on reality.

I do exactly the same as you do with cars, what I've got is the shit and what everyone else has got is inferior.

But what your doing is like me saying a pedal car is faster than an electric one, it simply isn't!

ahh but is it a fixed pedal car?

Fixed is a whole different thing from the usual laws of physics. It's hard to explain, but until you've ridden fixed for a few months and know how to use it, you won't know.

Sounds like you go faster than bad riders on geared bikes simply cos you're a bad rider being forced to pedal non stop. If you get a good rider, one hill and two bikes, one fixie and one geared, he will go faster on the geared. Having your legs forced around by the fixie is slowing you down, no two ways about it, it's not defying the laws of physics, it's shit riders getting a placebo effect and being forced to push themselves/ made to feel like they're superman. If you were a proper athelete who trained properly you'd be able to pwn on a road bike, and realize that it isn't physically possible to go faster round a course on a fixie than a road bike, with good technique.

Edited by adamtrials

Have you ever ridden up a hill on your fixed?

Yeah, I have ridden up hills on my fixie. I've also ridden up bigger, harder, longer hills (Just as an example, back home one route we ride has a 13 mile long hill that goes from being reasonably steep to pretty-damn-steep and back again) and would always prefer to do them on a road bike. Until you actually do a serious road ride (Over 40 miles, and on difficult routes, not just within the M25...), I can't really be bothered explaining any more. You're literally talking shit. If geared bikes are so bad, then as everyone's been saying, why haven't people started using fixies for road races, instead of just using them on smooth, level velodromes?

The 'flywheel' effect only really helps when you're spinning at a high speed anyway, which you won't be going up hill. Any 'flywheel' effect you're feeling there is purely something you're conjuring up from the depths of your mind. If you're going up hill and you're having to pedal to maintain momentum up that hill, then you won't be experiencing the 'flywheel' effect because your wheel won't be spinning fast enough. If you're on flat and flying around a velodrome, then yes, you will. Pedalling up a steep hill, you won't. Regarding the gears thing, who's saying that the rider with gears won't be able to use the same 'hard' gear you're using to go up the hill, and to just crank up it? I'm sure many people could, but the reason they don't is that road rides aren't settled over one short hilly part, and they're about conserving energy. It's about technique (Which cadence plays a massive, massive part in, and is what most coaches really emphasis and focus on) and tactics, and thinking about what you're doing instead of just trying to charge around at everything.

Regarding coming down steeper hills, if you have to carve around a tight corner, enjoy eating shit as your pedal spins round, hits the road and flips you over. Good times for all. Watch any footage of the Tour de France mountain stages when they're blitzing down and see how far they have to lean over. Words can't express how f**ked you'd be on a fixie.

Key thing, gears are for QUEERS.

I think i'm actually faster on my fixed.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:@, thats it youve finally pissed me off, im f**king sick of hearing you bigging your self up about not using gears and "how fast you are"

shut the f**k up about it you pathetic little infant.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:@, thats it youve finally pissed me off, im f**king sick of hearing you bigging your self up about not using gears and "how fast you are"

shut the f**k up about it you pathetic little infant.

Plus One ^

If you're that good, enter the Olympics.

shut the f**k up about it you pathetic little infant. .

+2

I don't even know the guy but jesus, what a turd.

Edited by Connor Powell