The New Road Bike Thread :)

Sam-Addy A3

There was a brilliant section in MBUK in one of the tiny side sections.

I say, should we all dress like hobosand ride around on some knackered bikes sticking it to 'the man'?

No you shouldn't. Idiots.

Don't belive me?

June 09 issue. Page 27, the grey section of the "rad" collum.

What use is a bike you cant ride up hills on? I ride 5 miles on my 26" trials bike most times i go trials biking in Plymouth

My DMR has plenty of uses, can't go uphill on that.

Though I do agree that fixies are pointless - for downhill, flat or uphill :P

Fixed is a whole different thing from the usual laws of physics. It's hard to explain, but until you've ridden fixed for a few months and know how to use it, you won't know.

So correct me if I'm wrong but you're saying the laws of physics aren't applicable to fixies?

Tam.

I'm with glen, I ride fixed. I assume all you guys who are telling me and Glen that were wrong ride serious road and fixed, yes. I thought so...

Time Trials = fastest time from point to point, lots of people will ride this fixed obv. dependent on the course. The advantage to fixed is a much lighter bike, and the benefits you receive when you get onto a hill (incline).

I haven't read all the posts; it appears you all know what you're talking about. I agree, there's a reason the TdF is done on gears, Because it's a marathon and it would be silly to try and ride that far fixed. If you go to just a hill climb event however everyone will ride fixed.

< 30 miles, fixed will probably give the same rider a faster time.

Edit: there's a lot of hating on this forum.

Edited by will

I think i'm actually faster on my fixed.

Fatpants, why not just set out a somewhat hilly course, around 30 miles and ride them both in roughly the same weather as fast as you can, on a fixie, then one a geard roadie.

See what the time difference is, have you ever actually done that?

But do it seriously, don't freewheel down hills on the roadie because you can etc.

I'm with glen, I ride fixed. I assume all you guys who are telling me and Glen that were wrong ride serious road and fixed, yes. I thought so...

It's more to do with pants generally being a flid on here.

Fixed bikes off the track are a great tool to polish up your technique etc. Although if you use it for general use too and don't run a brake of some sort it will screw up all the hard work.

Like all bikes they have their place.

Edited by ZeroMatt

Will, (can't be arsed to go back and quote your post :P)

Of course a fixed will be quicker if it's a hill climb - because you choose the exact gear you would have chosen on a road bike and lose the rest for the weight and simplicity benefits of riding fixed. BUT with a road bike, you get to the flat bit at the top, switch into a higher gear and lose the guy riding fixed. That's the point, a road bike is faster over varied terrain (i.e. a real life situation outside of track and hill climbs) because of it's flexibility in gearing.

I'm going to make it my mission to get Simon Richardson to write me the right response for in here tomorrow at work because this argument is annoying me.

Yea I see your point JD, providing theres no seriously steep terrain I think you would be surprised at how close personal times were geared and not geared. What do you think?

@Zeromatt - How do you mean, not using a brake will screw you up?

Yea I see your point JD, providing theres no seriously steep terrain I think you would be surprised at how close personal times were geared and not geared. What do you think?

@Zeromatt - How do you mean, not using a brake will screw you up?

The closest thing I can compare this to that explains my point is something I saw on Top Gear. I can't for the life of me remember what car it was, but it did 0-150mph in one gear - think it was an Aston Martin and I think it was 4th gear.

Point it, do any owners of this car choose to just use the one gear all the time even though it would be absolutely possible? More to the point, would Aston Martin (assuming it's theirs) bolt a 1 speed gearbox on and profess that it will be faster than the normal car?

YES, it's possible to ride almost any terrain on a fixie that you can ride on a road bike. Yes, the simplicity and maintenance factors are reasons to buy one. But you cannot say that a fixie will be quicker out of a corner than a bike which can change down into a useful gear and accelerate through the gears, through your fixed gear and out the other side. There is NO place that a fixie is comparable to a road bike in speed other than hill climbs and on the track, where terrain is known in advance and can be planned for.

I have nothing against fixies - I own one. It just pisses me off when the owners think that they can compete with normal road bikes - that's not what they are for! I do regularly beat people on normal road bikes on my ride to work, but they might not be trying and they sure as hell (99% of the time) aren't as powerful/on a mission as me. Doesn't mean I say that I could beat any road rider... Why is Mr Richardson not at his desk this morning :(

Probably out blasting everyone on his fixie :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

So finally bought some spds and shoes for my road bike yesterday fitted them and went for a spin all good, didnt realise how much more performance you acctually got from them. Got about 5/6 miles of the 30 mile route i had planned when i went for my water realised i was still sitting on the side in my kitchen :( was a bit annoyed at myself for this as if i turned round and went back it was all steep up hill and if i caried on i would of been dead so slow slow ride home.

Ah well il do it on Sunday and make sure i have my water on me haha.

Time Trials = fastest time from point to point, lots of people will ride this fixed obv. dependent on the course. The advantage to fixed is a much lighter bike, and the benefits you receive when you get onto a hill (incline).

I haven't read all the posts; it appears you all know what you're talking about. I agree, there's a reason the TdF is done on gears, Because it's a marathon and it would be silly to try and ride that far fixed. If you go to just a hill climb event however everyone will ride fixed.

lol

I dont think i've ever seen so much bull in one post. Since the beginning of time when do people ride time trials on fixed bikes?!?!?! Also you'd have to be some amazing athlete and STUPID to do a hill climb event on a fixed gear'd bike. Most experienced cyclists would laugh themselves to death with that post. If you dont know about cycling, dont try and bullshit it.

4x4 are made for rough terrain

Sports car's are made for going fast

Fixie's are made for commuting

Road bikes are made for going fast

See the pattern people?

Thank you.

This threads digressed into complete shit, if you think a fixed is a fast as a geared road bike over varied terrain or out on the open roads then you need shooting.

Ride fixed for 5 months and come back to me.

lol

I dont think i've ever seen so much bull in one post. Since the beginning of time when do people ride time trials on fixed bikes?!?!?! Also you'd have to be some amazing athlete and STUPID to do a hill climb event on a fixed gear'd bike. Most experienced cyclists would laugh themselves to death with that post. If you dont know about cycling, dont try and bullshit it.

4x4 are made for rough terrain

Sports car's are made for going fast

Fixie's are made for commuting

Road bikes are made for going fast

See the pattern people?

Rob, you realise a lot of tt frames have track ends aswell as a mech hanger?

Rob, you realise a lot of tt frames have track ends aswell as a mech hanger?

Yes. Because that wouldn't be anything to do with track bikes or would it now? Doing a time trial on a fixed gear'd bike has to be one of theee most stupid thing's i've heard this year!

Showed this to my Dad and his cycling mates at work last week, oh how they laughed.

And before you start bleating about inexperience or whatever, they did a 250+ mile day, and rode Land End to John o groats in 6 days last year.

Two of them also have fixed road bikes and ride them quite a lot aswell, use them in the winter or on the chain gangs.