Your Fave Rider.

Laurence--Trials

Trials means doing sections without putting your feet down, simple as that. It's been around since the 1920s ish in motorbike form. So if you're a purist then no, it's not trials at all.

so pure tgs is not trial neither?

a single side hop on a wall that can't even stay on top of it isn't really close to your definition of trials

if you agree with me, then I will agree with you :)

so pure tgs is not trial neither?

a single side hop on a wall that can't even stay on top of it isn't really close to your definition of trials

if you agree with me, then I will agree with you :)

We have a winner!

Trials is navigating obstacles without putting your feet down. Doing one sidehop or one gap or one tap isn't navigation of obstacles. If you went orienteering (real navigation here) and went to the first checkpoint and stopped, you'd... be lost.

Edited by Revolver

Trials means doing sections without putting your feet down, simple as that. It's been around since the 1920s ish in motorbike form. So if you're a purist then no, it's not trials at all.

Does that mean TGS isn't "Trials" then, because it's not riding through a section? Times change and things evolve, terms and definitions need to as well.

EDIT: Curse me having a shower before writing this, haha. Too slow...

I couldn't care less really, I was just siding with Rob because I think he's right. And no TGS isn't "pure trials" if you ask me, it's about as far from trials as Danny's style of riding is, but the other way. Instead of adding extra stuff in from other sports, it's stripping a lot of it away.

I'd still call it trials really though, what I said was, "If you're a purist, then no it's not trials at all".

I understand that things have to move on and change, I think you've missed my point, I wasn't saying, "It's not trials", I was saying that from a motorbike trials background, it's not trials. If I hadn't already ridden push bike trials I wouldn't recognise danny's riding as trials, I'd say it was MTB street, which is what I actually used to think Phil Pheeny did.

Anyway, hope I've made my point clear now. (Y)

I couldn't care less really, I was just siding with Rob because I think he's right. And no TGS isn't "pure trials" if you ask me, it's about as far from trials as Danny's style of riding is, but the other way. Instead of adding extra stuff in from other sports, it's stripping a lot of it away.

I'd still call it trials really though, what I said was, "If you're a purist, then no it's not trials at all".

I understand that things have to move on and change, I think you've missed my point, I wasn't saying, "It's not trials", I was saying that from a motorbike trials background, it's not trials. If I hadn't already ridden push bike trials I wouldn't recognise danny's riding as trials, I'd say it was MTB street, which is what I actually used to think Phil Pheeny did.

Anyway, hope I've made my point clear now. (Y)

that's what I think aswell ;)

Its down to individuals what they preseve as "proper trials" if you wanna emulate Dougie Lampkin on your bike fine. If you like the bmx/street scene and wanna add some of that flavour to your ridin thats fine too. its down to the individual what they wanna ride and how they wanna ride it is what is the key. A touch of your own personallity makes your style unique to you and you only. And if they dont like it f**k em!

I think i may have a few years on most of you here so the first riders in my top group are old boys now!!

The two Martins are what inspired me to try bike trial to keep fit for my motorcycle stuff back in the mid to late 90's, turns out now i meet and chat to them they are good blokes as well!

My first big name event i ever saw was at the big Cheddar downhill here in somerset in around 99 or 2000, a rider who was sooooo smoooth that it was just unreal was Thibaut Marriaux... he was on a lovely white DBR at the time i think. Awesome then, and still shit hot now.

Because of my motorcycle trials background i am not really into the street or tgs stuff, skillful as it is, so my favorite rider to actually see ride these days is Ben Savage. His section riding is brilliant to watch.

On video it has to be TRA and László Hegedűs ...

A mention also has to go for 2 guys i saw at the wessex trial and who just seemed to have a good time whilst riding brilliantly... Dave Ker and Tim Steadman, not saying they are the best riders but both an inspiration to be near when they are having a laugh.

Its down to individuals what they preseve as "proper trials" if you wanna emulate Dougie Lampkin on your bike fine. If you like the bmx/street scene and wanna add some of that flavour to your ridin thats fine too. its down to the individual what they wanna ride and how they wanna ride it is what is the key. A touch of your own personallity makes your style unique to you and you only. And if they dont like it f**k em!

best answer i've heard for a long time

Rowan Johns: Smooth as silk riding, can ride brakeless better than anyone I have seen and is the king of lines.

+1

Seniors are mostly oldies who can't ride any more due to being a bit fat/knackered. :P

(Y)

:lol:

Dave Kerr: easily the best rider in Wales, and he's a laugh to ride with. Shame he's not taken the time to record any videos really..

Absolutely. (Y):D

And good luck in China Dave!

In a Particular order:

Hans Rey

Ryan Leech

Martin Ashton

Danny Holroyd

Vincent Hermance + Marc Vinco

TRA

Danny Mac

Simpson

Matt

Edited by Matt Vandart

its hard for me to try and find a rider who inspires me to ride, as im gettin on a bit as trials riders go now, so they all seem like new guys to me!, lol

id have to say, carles diaz spanish rider, always has been a monster on 20", rides 26" pretty good too, and a really top bloke too! also he's few years older than me, and still mega, so inspired me to keep riding!

Closer to home, there's only one guy really (not meaning to get all gay on you) i ride with him most days, we'v traveled the world riding bikes on stuff, off stuff, over stuff, had a few beers along the way and having an absolute blast for the last 12 years or so, ABSOLUTE LEGEND! LOL !! Dan Butler

Rob,

o and if danny mak is a trials rider, why have i never seen him at a trial?? haha that will get you street lads blood boiling! Dont get me wrong, i think he's mega on a bike, does some amazing tricks, but its deffo more bmx than trials. and there are a lot of awsome bmxers who have been doing it for years!

rob xx

love you to rob and hoping that the hand heels fast and then back to the riding....... for you lol (Y)

Why the f**k does pretty much everyh topic nowa' days have to turn into TGS bitching, danny macs not trials, nattys the way forward and all this shit ? why ?

For f**k sake guys, get off your high horses, keep your opinion to yourself, shut your mouth and go ride your f**king bike, cause' to be quite fair, 70% of this forum don't give a rats ass what you think.

P.s - New favorite rider - Borisvech Pavel.