Grinding Rims

TrialsDisplay.co.uk

I did my 1st grind the night before DJ's funeral. I'd been putting it off for so long thinking it would be tricky.

Borrowed a grinder, and only had the cutting disc for steel. The grinder was very loud, but felt steadier and so safer than I thought when actually in contact with the rim Had a practise with a spare wheel to start with.

Essentials to remember (Concerning the shards of Alu which you grind off!):

1. Wear safety glasses and gloves (I used my cycling gloves, and it's worth the hassle of going to B&Q and buying some safety glasses rather than getting a sharp shard of Alu in your eye!)

2. Cover the hub in some way to stop the tiny shards of Alu getting inside. E.g. use a carrier bag and some sellotape, an old sock, or some kitchen roll (as I've done in the pics)

3. Grind somewhere away from anything which could be damaged, e.g a car's paintwork, a stereo. I ground my wheels in the shed, and it was easy enough to hoover the shards up around all the junk in there.

I found that dragging the cutter quickly in the motion shown below, and repeating this on the same portion of wheel until all smooth regions were removed gave a result identical to Mr Janson's. At first I thought that it didn't look as deep as others I've seen, but I haven't had any slippage. The Koxx bloxx on the back make a swoosh noise, no squeeking and squealing (edit: brakes weren't set up completely flat to rim - they squeaked after I'd set them up right :P ).

The technique I use is completely different from the one I saw in the AndrewT video where he seems to hover in the same region, rather than work on an arc roughly 1/3 of the wheel. When I tried the hovering technique, it seemed to result in a relatively smooth surface. It was only when I tried moving the grinder quickly around the rim that the surface produced looked what I thought was acceptably rough.

gallery_201_104_1091474544.jpg

^ My grind, it works for me :angry:

gallery_201_104_1091475037.jpg

^ Disk used (note it's a "cutting disc" not a "grinding one") - 99p from B&Q :lol: (make sure you get the right size for your grinder!)

gallery_201_104_1091474962.jpg

^ Technique: clockwise strokes around the rim from 1 - 5 pm. Upon touching the grinder to the rim, drag swifly for a courser surface. I find it takes me about 6 strokes to makes sure there are no missed bits. When that 1/3 (roughly!) of the wheel is done, rotate it around to present the next virgin part of rim. Works for me!

Steve

• 1 month later...

I did my first grind today, i tried to do a fairly light one so it didn't eat my CRM's to much.

I took the wheel out, took the tyre off, and knelt on the rim. I held the grinder at a fairly shallow angle, and ground away (i was wearing safety goggles and earmuffs, just to be on the safe side :rolleyes: ).

It was suprisingly easy, and took around 5 minutes to do both sides of the rim.

I thought it was fairly rough, although i hardly put any pressure on the grinder at all.

However, i was disappointed at it's performance - it locked fine in a forwards direction, but slipped very badly backwards. I tried applying a small amount of tar, but it still didn't work very well.

I sanded it off and applied muc-off, now it's back to it's former self.

i put my rim in a work mate and made sure that the rim was very secure i then span the wheel as fast as i could and pressed the grinder with a stone cutting blade firmly against the rim at an angle. Works great.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...