Modified Cars

N Roach

Evening all,

I'm just looking for a few opinions on modified cars. I have always been interested in modifying a car, but never really thought what you would do once it is finished. From my experience, all I see is 'boy racers' parked up in maccy'd having a chat. I have spoken to some people that have massively modified their cars and they seem to be fed up and want to get rid of the car. I just wanted a few opinions from the experienced members of the forum that have done up their cars. I would like to know, when the car is finished is it worth it?

Nathan...

i think it depends on what car really and why your doing it. if its in the case of a classic mini then i can see why. if its a corsa then i don't see point you might aswell save your money and get a better car thats proberly cooler and faster.

I would consider my car "modified", but not to the extent of the lads you see sitting in Maccy D's. I think its all down to personal preference in the end. Once you start spending more on the car modifying it, than you did purchasing it in the first place, you're onto a slippery slope.

Its no secret that you will ALWAYS lose money modifying a car, very very rarely can you recoup the (often very expensive) costs invlolved in buying all the parts, simply because they are not worth it!

Its my mind set, that no matter what car I have, I will always "modify" it, simply because I want to be different from the thousands of other cars out there. I like to think I'm an individual, and like my car to follow suit. Although, ironically, that is also what the majority of people my age also think, so the indivduality is somewhat taken away by that thinking!

Your first few years, you will not be able to modify, insurance simply wont let you. Due to the stereotypical (but sadly, often correct) image that a modified car gives. I say wait a few years until you have a car that actually is worth something, rather than just sticking a set of lexus lights, and big wheels on some £500 Corsa.

I'd say a massive no, unless you're modifying it for a specific purpose - not just making it go better because you want more g-force on a roundabout and on a straight road. If you want to take part in rallies, time attack, drag racing, drifting, whatever then yes. But other than that I really cannot understand why somebody would sink money into making a car faster and better looking.

What I'm trying to say is that if you're starting off with say an ordinary Civic / BMW 316i / R34 GT and want to modify it just for the sake of making it go faster on the road, sell it and get yourself a CTR / M3 / R34 GT-R etc.

I think I'm in a fairlly good position to comment on this one!

with the mini, I bought it for £1200, and I've spent around £15000 on it since, and I don't regret a single penny. it's a life time hobby, and something that I REALLY enjoy. I enjoy working on it and improving it almost as much as driving it. it's barely worth half what I've spent, but that doesn't matter AT ALL, as it'll quite simply, NEVER be up for sale. EVER, so the resale value is meaningless to me.

As for my audi, I bought it for £3000, and then spent £4000 over 2 years making it into the car I wanted, and I don't regret it at all. unlike the Mini, I've totally stopped modifying the audi, and spent just £200 on mods in feb 2008! I got it to what I wanted, which was a reasonably fast (220ish bhp) practical comfy dailly driver, and now, i don't really feel the need to touch it.

So yea, it's 100% worth it, provided you have clear aims, and don't just randomly spend like some do. start out with a goal, and when you've reached it, stop. With the audi I've done that, it's truly OEM+, which I love.

With the mini, the goal was perfection, and ultimate happiness, so I'm still trying to get there :P

What I'm trying to say is that if you're starting off with say an ordinary Civic / BMW 316i / R34 GT and want to modify it just for the sake of making it go faster on the road, sell it and get yourself a CTR / M3 / R34 GT-R etc.

To a degree alex, I've got to disagree.

I thought this was the case too, and sold my highly modifed A3 for a standard M3 as you know. but now I've changed back, I can honestly say I prefer the A3 in every single way, because it's ME, it's not some krauts idea of the ideal fast saloon, it's my idea of the ideal nippy hatchback, and it suits me down to a T. That's not to say it's better than an M3 at all, just that it's far better for me.....

All I can add to this is, if you're doubting spending the money, don't do it.

I know for a fact anything I've ever wanted to do I've done - if I've thought about it, it's not something I really want to do.

I handed over £1,200 last year for some decks and didn't even think twice because it's what I love doing.

If you want to modify your car then do it pal. Ignore what anyone else say's just do what you want to do.

Personally, im big into french cars. Owned 2 Clio's and im now in possesion of a Saxo VTR (had it just over 2 and half years now). My mate's called Saxo's like f*** when i bought it and said they're crap. Now yea, stereotypically, chavvy and fall apart because they're french. But one hell of a good handling car once tweaked a little. And i've also managed to get it looking abit different from other Saxo's without the use of massive wheels, lairy paint and a bodykit (although it still cost me a small fortune). And the mate's who always called Saxo's still call them, but they always make the exception for mine *feels smug lol*.

But my point is that im happy with it and that's all that matters. The car always gets admiring looks wherever i go and even get's thumbs up by OAP's and younger people too. So it's pleases alot of people, which is why we modify cars isnt it? To make yourself happy and if other's like it, it's a bonus.

I thought this was the case too, and sold my highly modifed A3 for a standard M3 as you know. but now I've changed back, I can honestly say I prefer the A3 in every single way, because it's ME, it's not some krauts idea of the ideal fast saloon, it's my idea of the ideal nippy hatchback, and it suits me down to a T. That's not to say it's better than an M3 at all, just that it's far better for me.....

I kinda get what you mean. But to relate what you just wrote to my original post and use your A3 purely as an example - you fancy your A3 the way it is, but surely there's a stock car out there for around the price of your A3 + the mods you've done to it which will fulfil your needs just as well? This is not at all a question aimed at you, just using your car as an example of what I meant.

If I were to modify my CRX so it's nicer to drive everyday, I'd supercharge it to make it a bit faster, harden it up and lower the suspension, change the whole dashboard, add A/C and power steering. But I'd rather just look for a car which is faster and has all those extras I'm after (which would probably be an A3 :P ).

At the end of the day, I guess that if you're satisfied with the mods you've done and are willing to hang on to the car then they were worth it.

Sorted the VTR yet Chip? Haven't seen it around mansfield in ages

It is sorted mate, if it's the axle you mean? It's running fairly smoothly at the min, just need to the CV Boot bevfore mot :) No offence, but who are you? Haha. Sorry.

It is sorted mate, if it's the axle you mean? It's running fairly smoothly at the min, just need to the CV Boot bevfore mot :) No offence, but who are you? Haha. Sorry.

Yeah the rear axle. I remember you saying to Jack (marshall) you had a new axle, but I didn't know if you'd fixed it yet.

I've met you once or twice, never really spoken thou, I'm Jack Marshall's mate, red mini with the black roof.

Yeah the rear axle. I remember you saying to Jack (marshall) you had a new axle, but I didn't know if you'd fixed it yet.

I've met you once or twice, never really spoken thou, I'm Jack Marshall's mate, red mini with the black roof.

Got you pal (Y) Aint seen Jack in ages lol. I dont really go into town much nowadays. If im not at our lasses, im out on the Ducati or messing about in garage with the Sax, Duc or Ashton lol.

I kinda get what you mean. But to relate what you just wrote to my original post and use your A3 purely as an example - you fancy your A3 the way it is, but surely there's a stock car out there for around the price of your A3 + the mods you've done to it which will fulfil your needs just as well? This is not at all a question aimed at you, just using your car as an example of what I meant.

There may be, but at the end of the day it's all down to personal taste, and also looks to a cirtain extent, there may be that car out there, but it won't look like an A3, the only faster version audi did was the S3, and that's 4wd, and a lot heavier, so probably won't be as exciting or raw to drive when you gun it as nicks A3 is, meaning the only option is to go for a competitors car, but if you like the look of the A3, then you won't wanna do that.

At the end of the day, its just about being sensible with it, as said, its not a financialy clever thing to do, you probably wont make the money back, but for a lot of people, working on the car is just as good as using it. Personally I'm not a fan of modifying modern cars unless as inur said, its for a specific task, but with classic/retro cars it's awesome fun, you won't loose too much money if you're clever about it, and there's just something special about older cars that makes you want to tinker with them, and modernise them, and improve them, and once you're hooked, you won't wanna stop, haha.

So to answer what to do with it when it's finished, basically, in my case, and probably quite a few others, it never will be finished.

Edited by RobinJI

So yea, it's 100% worth it, provided you have clear aims, and don't just randomly spend like some do. start out with a goal, and when you've reached it, stop. With the audi I've done that, it's truly OEM+, which I love.

i failed. i spent very little money to make my stock 1.25 fiesta as good as possible as i already have a car lined up when i come home from travelling, but so far about £350-400 really isn't too bad (depends on age of the car and what your NEEDS are)

lowered 30mm with some springs for slightly less roll and more fun when going round corners... and looks as well (yet not slammed to ground like most boyracers do)

new speakers cos stocks are always shit, axle spacers for a wider rear track and again more on looks, and an upper strut brace.. as for the engine, nothing except a panel filter which i see as a long term investment especially it has no real power gain and its pointless on a fiesta anyway.

i guess i did have an aim, just to simply make it look a little different from the usual fiesta, a little bit more fun to drive yet keeping the 'stock' look to it. its all about subtleness on this car. and i have to say so far every penny has been worthwhile. but at the end of the day its your money, so spend on what you want!

steve

owered 30mm with some springs for slightly less roll and more fun when going round corners... and looks as well (yet not slammed to ground like most boyracers do)

new speakers cos stocks are always shit, axle spacers for a wider rear track and again more on looks, and an upper strut brace.. as for the engine, nothing except a panel filter which i

My Lupo standard and MILES better than my vaux...

I got a half modded car will be sorting it out needs some things doin, only reason why I want to complete it. there ONE modded Lupo in green in Cumbria to my knowledge, everyone know me from my car. I'm that guy with the green Lupo!

Plans for mt next car.... what ever german car it is(Thinking newer shape Polo) will be Coilies, wont bother with springs. might as well do the job right from the off. Nice set of wide rims, Momo team wheel. smoothed in everything. just makemit look nice, suttelty is the way i like it.....no need in havin a shitty 1l corsa with a HUGE body kit. and 20" wheels.

Plans for mt next car.... what ever german car it is(Thinking newer shape Polo) will be Coilies, wont bother with springs. might as well do the job right from the off. Nice set of wide rims, Momo team wheel. smoothed in everything. just makemit look nice, suttelty is the way i like it.....no need in havin a shitty 1l corsa with a HUGE body kit. and 20" wheels.

fully agreed, i don't even like bodykits. so pointless, car looks so much cleaner without it.

as for the coilerovers yes, i'd do the same but it would defeat the object of my trying to keep it as stocky as possible, rides just too firm, lowering springs just feels the same but more progressive so its still very comfy to cruise around on.

steve

Like every other German car then (Y)lol. No offence meant by that. But that's how all VAG cars are done now. It's one of those fashions which will die out in afew years. Don't get me wrong, i love the look and in MOST cases it's alot better than bodykits and 20" rims (although even that can look good when done with taste), but it's just how things go :)

Not long ago I would have blindly said "Yes" but now I don't think I would.

I'm starting to prefer things a bit more classy and refined, I sold my Mk2 GTI because I got fed up with having to drive like a fanny everywhere because of how it looked or what it was. Yeah, it was quick as f**k through the back roads, and sounded mean and looked smart but thats not going to help when your sticking out of a hedge in a ditch.

Now I'd rather sit back, listen to Radio 3 and cruise along minding my own business.

Like every other German car then (Y)lol.

Don't want an argument here, but I thought I'd quote this for irony.

Because you've got the most stereotypical Saxo in the world.

Edited by Pashley26

I like my modified car. As others have said if you're gonna mod it make sure you have a reason behind it. Having a bit of taste and being realistic about the mods is very important.

I liked having a 2 seater soft top with a great chassis and nice weight balance, but it just wasn't quick enough. So I went with power mods. I've put about £4k into the car now, including initial purchase. I cant think of any car that would offer me the same balance of daily usability with speed, power and agility, that I can insure for the money I've spent on my mx5.

I think there's plenty of point modifying for the road, I enjoy driving my car about 5x more and a day to day basis than I did before. Almost as important is that fact that I've really enjoyed the experience of learning about the modifications I made, learning about , spending time with friends in the garage.

I don't drive, so from an outsiders perspective.

I would see it as some fun, mainly in actually doing the modifications themselves, but then there is a side to it that looks cheesy, as with large cosmetic enhancements on anything in life.

It is down to you, when it comes to me driving I probably won't modify my car at all (just not a car person and I will probably be a bit older when I have a car), and if I do it will be subtle things that mainly benefit me.

Because ultimately it will be my major form of transport, what my car looks like or how I arrive could be the make or break of a relationship, as unlikely as it seems could you imagine turning up to an interview for a important career move in a car that is seen as trashy "boy racer" material.

I'm not putting anyone down here, I just personally think it could have some repercussions, to me it would be equivalent to getting some kind of in your face tattoo.

Edited by Captain Scarlet