My New £1500 Laptop

Clawz114

Got a new laptop on Tuesday, so i thought i'd put some pics up for those who may be interested.

It's a Dell XPS M1730, specs are below.

CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.50 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 6 MB L2 cache)

GPU: Dual SLI™ 512MB nVidia® GeForce™ 9800GT graphics card

RAM: 6144MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (1x2GB + 1x4GB)

Hard drive: 320GB Free Fall Sensor (7200RPM) Hard Drive

Optical drive: Internal Blu-Ray ROM Combo (Blu-Ray, DVD and CD Read, DVD & CD Write)

LCD: 17.0" UltraSharp™ WUXGA (1920x1200) TFT with TrueLife™ with Integrated 2.0MP web cam

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 (64 BIT)

It obviously has WiFi, and also a bluetooth module.

Total came out at: £ 1,457.29 (including VAT +shipping)

Ive only had it for 4 days now, but so far it's been perfect. Played C&C3 on everything maxed out, as well as Left4Dead. Got a few more games that i've yet to install and try, but im pretty sure it can take on almost any game... maybe not Crysis :P and although its very powerful, its not good enough to take on my dekstop :lol:

Images below...

fce10570dsc00757sm.jpg71ae47fdsc00760sm.jpg

60cbf00fdsc00762sm.jpg951ae67edsc00763sm.jpg

de066a2dsc00767sm.jpgc6e308edsc00769sm.jpg

2147f5c4dsc00770sm.jpgfcfd091cdsc00771sm.jpg

70cb0dcdsc00772sm.jpgad80ae5dsc00773sm.jpg

Yes, you can change the color of the lights, except the keyboard backlights and the 2 wing panels on the lid. So basically, the touchpad + left and right speakers.

So far, Dell has made me happy ^_^

Edited by Clawz114

Its always plugged in when its on, and i cant ever imagine il use it on battery life.

I would take a guess at <1 hour on a game.

And you bought a laptop because...?

Mine cost less than £300, weighs f'ck all and the battery life is 7 hours. It's also accompanied me for about 10,000 miles of misadventure. Isn't that the point?

I don't understand blowing well over a grand on a laptop when a desktop for half the cost would be five times more useful.

i bought a laptop for the portability. kif I wanted a mega power machine, I wouldn't want it on a laotop with a 17'' screen!

For browsing at home and stuff I have a perfectly good desktop, and for on the move, I've got a samsung n110 netbook with mobile broadband, and a 10 hour battery life!

loooks very nice and guys give him a break. I bought a 17" screened laptop, with a high (at the time) spec, cost me £1000. Putting that in the car to drive to swansea to move into uni was much easier than the desktop Ive got now which takes up 4x the room...plus the monitor + speakers too :o

Its a great looking piece of kit... I didn't know vista XP could utilise that much ram? I know 32 bit is something like 3gb, i thought 64 bit was 5gb? Might be wrong though

Thanks for the comments!

Just to clarify, no I didn't buy it for portability, or for battery life.

I have a very laid back job, where me and my boss play games pretty much all day. A desktop at work is too big, whereas a laptop lid can be shut if there are customers. That is its main usage, but I do plan on bringing it home occasionally for the Blu-Ray player, and I will also take it round my mates house every now and then to play some games LAN style. I've done that once with my desktop, and it was so much effort.

And you bought a laptop because...?

Mine cost less than £300, weighs f'ck all and the battery life is 7 hours. It's also accompanied me for about 10,000 miles of misadventure. Isn't that the point?

I don't understand blowing well over a grand on a laptop when a desktop for half the cost would be five times more useful.

Yes, yours can do that, but it can't play games, which is clearly what I bought mine for :P

Does it have a spell checker ?

It was 2:30 in the morning. I was tired, and I'm also typing on a brand new keyboard that I got 3 days ago which seems to skip 1/4 of the keystrokes I type.

When will people realise, that taking little digs at people for getting a couple of spelling mistakes out of paragraphs of text is, to be blunt, childish. It's not funny anymore.

It was funny in the 90's, now it's just annoying.

Also, i didn't type the original post on the laptop...

should have got a mac

What games can they play?... oh wait :rolleyes:

loooks very nice and guys give him a break. I bought a 17" screened laptop, with a high (at the time) spec, cost me £1000. Putting that in the car to drive to swansea to move into uni was much easier than the desktop Ive got now which takes up 4x the room...plus the monitor + speakers too :o

Its a great looking piece of kit... I didn't know vista XP could utilise that much ram? I know 32 bit is something like 3gb, i thought 64 bit was 5gb? Might be wrong though

Thanks!

In Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit (what I'm using) the limit is 16GB. In Vista Ultimate 64bit, it's 128GB

agreed !! Its f**king massive - I wouldnt want to carry that anywhere, and my desktop will eat it for breakfast at a fraction of the price ...

orly? Specs?

Its yet to meet my desktop then :shifty:

I don't know an awful lot about computers, so can somebody explain to me how this can be 1100 more than you bog standard dell lappy? Obviously i can see that it's gunna be faster and able to handle more things at once e.t.c but why does that cost 1100 pounds more?

p.s loving the fur backdrop you've set up there..

Edited by Ollie Histon

I don't know an awful lot about computers, so can somebody explain to me how this can be 1100 more than you bog standard dell lappy? Obviously i can see that it's gunna be faster and able to handle more things at once e.t.c but why does that cost 1100 pounds more?

p.s loving the fur backdrop you've set up there..

haha thanks!

Just like you said, its faster and can handle more things at once. Quite simply, its much better componentry.

It's the same kinda thing as how some trials bikes cost £2000 and some cost £300.

Faster processor, more memory, it has 2 high end graphics cards linked together, whereas on a cheaper laptop, you might not even have a graphics card. It may just be integrated onto the motherboard. There is a high definition DVD drive, instead of just a plain DVD drive. The screen is a very high resolution (1920 x 1200 pixels) it has a webcam, bluetooth and ofcourse, cool lights :P

Edited by Clawz114

Wait, you made a whole topic about a f**king laptop?

That's pretty much the question that everyone thinking.

I thought this was the Chit-Chat section?

*sigh*

It's people like you, that make me remember why i stopped using this forum for so long, and now i'm starting to question why i'm even typing this message.

Thanks <_<

Edited by Clawz114