26" Steel Frame

snoolax

Hi everyone,

Anyone rides a 26 steel frame bike here?

i really like how steel flex barely at all and the toughness and it provides.. especially when doing both streets and trails which streets might take bigger impacts.

Are there any bikes brands that are still in production which makes 26 steel frames other than norco and marino custom

marino are my top most consideration now =) guess there are not many steel frames with a good geo and a seat out there.. planet x stop production long ago..

at least till now i haven heard frames snapping or anything, so sounds like a pretty good choice. And a good feature of steel is they dont snap immeidately like alu, so they give u a good safetly check when the frame starts to bend or something

The Marino's are definately something to consider. Given the price they are excellent for experimenting with geometry. Also things can be modified during the build, nothing is set in stone when you have decided on your desired geometry. You will get numerous photo updates on your frame during the construction process. For example here is some of mine:

P1110431.JPG

P1110456.JPG

P1110693.JPG

P1110843.JPG

danny%20brad.jpg

I have started to give mine a good bashing now and its absolutely solid :)

thanks danny! thats a really nice bike of yours!

those are really useful pictures and info, now i am even more confident of doing my order real soon!

i was looking at the custom frame order sheet and have some questions which i need help at.. basically i am looking to get a 26" street trial with seat with a balanced geometry.. looking to forward my style to those of Ryan leech just that i do not wan a suspension fork..

1. i would be running hs33 so what should my brake mounts spacing be? supposely my rear wheel allowance i might want up to 2.7 thick..

2. I have no idea for my dropouts, spacing and and axle..

3. whats a good geometry for a bike which are balanced in doing street and trails?

4. Any extra specs which i need to specifiy?

5. can i ask for an attachment for a connection for a RD hangerer in case i wanna run gears?

thanks again for all help! this is really appreciated guys!

Edited by snoolax

thanks danny! thats a really nice bike of yours!

those are really useful pictures and info, now i am even more confident of doing my order real soon!

i was looking at the custom frame order sheet and have some questions which i need help at.. basically i am looking to get a 26" street trial with seat with a balanced geometry.. looking to forward my style to those of Ryan leech just that i do not wan a suspension fork..

1. i would be running hs33 so what should my brake mounts spacing be? supposely my rear wheel allowance i might want up to 2.7 thick..

2. I have no idea for my dropouts, spacing and and axle..

3. whats a good geometry for a bike which are balanced in doing street and trails?

4. Any extra specs which i need to specifiy?

5. can i ask for an attachment for a connection for a RD hangerer in case i wanna run gears?

thanks again for all help! this is really appreciated guys!

Well firstly check out some different geometry's on frames out there, here is a good link to check out some older trials frames geometry more 'street orientated'; LINK

For HS33 spacing, it depends what rim you intend to use. I have mine at 95mm because I run the PhatWorks CNC Magura backings which are thinner then normal, this gives me much more adjustment when setting my brake up. So if you were to use a thin rim like a Mavic you could have the spacing smaller. With wide rims and standard pad sizing you want anywhere between 100 - 120mm I would guess but again worth doing some research into this based on other frames out there.

Dropouts - up to you really depending on your setup. If your running a standard rear hub it will be 135mm spacing. Depending on how your tensioning your chain will dictate whether you use vertical or horizontal drop outs.

Anything additional you want on there (like hollowed head tube for example) just specify on the form

If you have a vertical dropouts it will have a mech hanger on there :)

If you need to discuss any details further just drop Marino an email; marino@marinobike.com

Cheers

thanks danny thats really helpful!

i think i will run the standard spacing of 110 as i will be getting standard rhyno lite rims..

Rago: i just like how the 26 feels =) 24 feels a bit bmx-ish to me.. 26 is harder to control of course, but its trains me to use more body momenteum instead =)

a side question, are carbon forks like the nuke proof or the kinesis okay to use for trials?

nuke proof

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22903

kinesis

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22917

I've got a set of kinesis forks here that I just weighed at 1240g, what's the point :S. The Nukeproof ones still aren't that light, you can get decent strong alu forks for the same weight and lighter. Also you have to consider the fork length, both those carbon forks are really long and would screw up the geo of any trials frame.

thanks Matt, i totally understand that alu forks definitely are better but i am running a norco frame, whichw as designed for sus fork.. which is why i am looking for a geo corrected fork.. Dont think there are any light geo corrected fork there? (for a 100mm sus fork replacement hence axle to crown will need around 440mm instead of the usual 400mm)

thanks Matt, i totally understand that alu forks definitely are better but i am running a norco frame, whichw as designed for sus fork.. which is why i am looking for a geo corrected fork.. Dont think there are any light geo corrected fork there? (for a 100mm sus fork replacement hence axle to crown will need around 440mm instead of the usual 400mm)

The old straight leg pace forks are 430mm axle to crown, you occasionally find them on fleabay, not super light at 950g though.

Cool well yeah those Kinesis look pretty solid if you need a 440 fork, only other forks I could think of would be steel ones like Planet X/On one or Kona project 2s

thanks guys!

the only thing i am worried especially getting the kinesis are that it is a bounded fork and its carbon, thinking that trials has so much extend of abuse on the forks i am kinda afraid they might fail to take the abuse.

IF and olnly IF i run a susfork for trial, will a XC fork like be able to take the abuse?