2xu - New Compression Clothing.

Mark W

Tartybikes are now stocking a new type of compression clothing that may interest some of you - the basic premise is the same as Skinz clothing, however, whereas Skinz use a 40 denier fabric (denier rating relates to the level of compression offered), the new 2XU clothing utilises a 50 denier fabric resulting in better performance. There's a whole host of other advantages to these clothes both on 2XU's site and on our own, so have a bit of a scout around for more information if needed - or go to this Q&A on their site: Clickity!

large_2xutopblk.jpg

large_2xutights2.jpg

We currently have the long-sleeve tops and tights in stock, but there are plans to expand the range. If you click on the link above there's a list of all of 2XU's products on their website (their range is ridiculous!), and if you're particularly after any of their other products it should be possible to order them in.

(denier rating relates to the level of compression offered)

the new 2XU clothing utilises a 50 denier fabric resulting in better performance.

Denier is the measurement of of grams per 9000 meters of yarn.

What relation does that have to the level of compression?

Denier is the measurement of of grams per 9000 meters of yarn.

What relation does that have to the level of compression?

If the yarn is effectively elasticated (providing the compression) then a heavier yarn (of the same relative properties) will have a stronger elastication (think thick vs thin rubber band).

If the yarn is effectively elasticated (providing the compression) then a heavier yarn (of the same relative properties) will have a stronger elastication (think thick vs thin rubber band).

If the yarn material is the same that is ;)

Being too lazy to look into it anymore I'll put my trust in you clever boys at TB, plus the 2XU stuff looks a little less silly :giggle:

I am - got some yesterday in fact. Super good (Y) Running the long-sleeve top and they're pretty amazing. Kinda prefer the look of them to the Skinz tops, although they're white they're a bit more understated in a way. Ali commented on how it looked just like a normal base layer, rather than some uber technical wear. But yeah, they feel really good to wear. Rode natural all day and felt fine at the end of it, no soreness today. I'd recommend them (Y)

I am - got some yesterday in fact. Super good (Y) Running the long-sleeve top and they're pretty amazing. Kinda prefer the look of them to the Skinz tops, although they're white they're a bit more understated in a way. Ali commented on how it looked just like a normal base layer, rather than some uber technical wear. But yeah, they feel really good to wear. Rode natural all day and felt fine at the end of it, no soreness today. I'd recommend them (Y)

dude if i spent £50 on something like that id expect it to look fancy.

dude if i spent £50 on something like that id expect it to look fancy.

I expected it to work, and it did. If you want to pay more for some yellow stitching then it's your call I guess, but that's basically all you're getting. As I outlined before, these perform better than Skinz which is the main thing.

I expected it to work, and it did. If you want to pay more for some yellow stitching then it's your call I guess, but that's basically all you're getting. As I outlined before, these perform better than Skinz which is the main thing.

thats cool then, i never realised the skins were more i thought they were around the same price. they comfortable to ride in? i like the feel of not knowing its there but you know its working kinda thing. the yellow stiching actually does stuff as far as im aware as well so its not jsut yellow stitching...

You forget it's there, pretty much. I wear size small T's anyway so they're not super loose or anything, so if you're used to loose clothing then it might feel weird, but you do forget about them being on - you just notice that you don't feel tired (Y)

Ali! you should be in the circus anyway mate!, lol

so does wearing the skin of a seal actually make a difference? im interested to know how these work and what they do,

some of you guys who ride in them now and didnt before, can you actually feel a difference?

rob

winner, take it the trousers work in the same sense? if so ill end up getting a set for comps most likely.!

That they do - same deal as the tops (Y)

Ali! you should be in the circus anyway mate!, lol

so does wearing the skin of a seal actually make a difference? im interested to know how these work and what they do,

some of you guys who ride in them now and didnt before, can you actually feel a difference?

rob

I'm the only one who's got a pair so far, so pretty much what I said earlier really! The website I linked to before has quite a few testimonials and sciencey bits to explain it all...

You only need to wear them for a reasonably limited amount of time after exercise to reap their benefits, not all night! Regarding winter months, I was wearing mine at Matlock Quarry on the weekend and I was toasty! They work as a great base layer, so they should warm you up pretty quickly.

Not quite to that extent, but one of the selling points of the 2XU stuff is the way it wraps around muscles meaning reduced muscle vibration (when you're pushing it and feel yourself shake, resulting in less muscle damage), and better support for your muscles. Like I said, plenty of info in those links so if you want to learn more, go there (Y)

So in theory, it should be ideal when doing any intense exercise ie; pushing heavy weights without worrying about tearing your muscles apart and getting muscle strain/cramp if you go too heavy or overtrain.

I use compression tights for weights, running, cycling, squash, pretty much anything where the circulation and muscles are involved at an intensity above resting. I also use it for recovery afterward, like when sleeping, which seems to also help regarding particularly hard sessions. Great stuff imo (Y)

Edited by Ben Rowlands