How Did Everyone Get Into Trials? (:

TrialItAll

Back when I was into mountain biking and freeride I saw Jeff Lenosky and Ryan leech in New World Dissorder 1-4 and was hooked. Started back hopping and and sidehopping on my 35lb fully, eventually snapped a seatstay. Somehow I got it warranted :giggle:

Lucky!

i got into trials when i was into mountain biking and i search for it on youtube and this video came up

ever since that i loved watching it , at a motorbike trials competition at my house m i saw a kid on a trials bike , i had a go on it , loved it , got a onza blade the following christmas.

I first got into MTB in 1994. Rode for about a year and in the meantime, picked up the movie, "Tread." Epic. That was the first time I had seen Hans Rey or trials. Rode pretty seriously for a year or two after that, getting picked up by a demo team. Once I started driving and smoking, things slowed down. I had a couple of resurgence moments when I met Reed Merschat when he started filming "Revolution." I was with him and Ryan Leech on the ride in Portland. (Still bummed I didn't make the final cut.) I pretty much didn't ride for 10 years between 1999-2009, but I always had a stock bike built just in case. I'd go ride randomly about once a year when the itch came about. This latest itch came from seeing D-Mac's April video on an aviation forum actually back last summer. Thankfully, I actually had the funds to get back into it...

I got into Trials after watching tricks and stunts, granted it was nearly 10 years after its release and by that time everyone had stopped using cross country bikes and moved to a trials specific frame but there was something about the fact that you could still do relatively amazing things on what seemed "normal" bikes that drew me in, I often still find that if I'm practising on a trials specific frame that on lookers and the general public will say that's a trick bike (meaning that's how he can do that) but when your on a bike that resembles something more people regard as a normal bike there more impressed. I started to improve control on a bicycle in any given aspect of any bicycle genre!

• 2 weeks later...
About 10 years i was given chainspotting and dirty tricks and cunning stunts for christmas. I watched them and i was hooked the martin's sections in chainspotting blew me away i had never seen such bike control and i was hooked.

Same mate, i remember watching the video and thinking how they did it, i was amazed, then me and a friend tried it on normal mountain bikes with not much success. I learnt a bit in the end, not much though lol.

About 10 years i was given chainspotting and dirty tricks and cunning stunts for christmas. I watched them and i was hooked the martin's sections in chainspotting blew me away i had never seen such bike control and i was hooked.

I was same, into a bit of dual slalom for ages then my cousin got Chainspotting on video and our mtb world changed!

10 years later and I'm still crap!

Never heard a thing about it.

GF took me to a small demo near her house in North Carolina (last one at that location, sadly).

Few days later started searching for trials on youtube. POOF! Got interested.

Funniest part about it is I drag "that" bike everywhere instead of riding XC with her.

I totally blame her. :P

i remember i bought a specialized hardrock pro the summer before my senior year with an aim towards eventually mastering north shore riding. i live in michigan so naturally there isn't a whole lot of north shore riding. so i did some downhill stuff and xc mostly on it. in the meantime i searched through google video and youtube for videos of people riding their bikes and i came unto some trials stuff. naturally it blew my mind, but i never thought i could do it. that year my school let a jonathan poole a local trials rider in on fridays to teach kids how to ride. i was infatuated with the sport from there onwards. at first i still had my north shore kick so unfortunately i kept riding hardtail mtbs around thinking i would progress better on those for some reason. eventually i decided i actually wanted to trials and i bought my first bike this last september. since then it has been a blast and i haven't looked back since.

fun fact:

the first bike i ever saw pedal kicked onto stuff is now mine. the story goes like so, we were taking our class picture in the gym and on the other side is j.p just messing around on his bike (at the time his) and some of the obstacles he brought he pedal kicks up unto box across and then off and then the whole senior class starts in rapid applause ( a class of 500 mind you). i now own that brisa and i can probably do that same move already.

I was reading through 2007 Norco bikes brocher

I was looking looking at the freeride bikes at the time

there was this "Trials" bike section in there with Ryan Leech in the back ground.

After that I looked up "trials" on the internet, I found the ObservedTrials.Net

I found out how gay trials was, then I fell in love!! :)

My first time watching a pro was on the tricks and stunts video.

The first time i ever rode a tirals bike was around 8 years ago, it was a Monty, I can't remember what model, i can just remember about going over the bars! it was my first time ever riding with Magura rim brakes! lol

As I said in my other post in this forum, in the years ive not been riding a bike, the sport has changed so much! The only makes of trials bike id ever heard of was Monty and Megamo! now there are loads of different makes!

• 1 month later...

It was 12 years ago, and it was really organic. I was 11 and my Dad had bought me a Marin something-or-other to ride the downhill NPS series on the next year. We couldn't get to good trails very often so a lot of the time I'd just be playing about in technical sections of trails in the local woods. When I wasn't doing that I was out the front of our house doing wheelies and learning bunnyhops and stuff.

We started buying MBUK and realised that what we were doing was practically the beginnings of trials. I wrapped the Marin round a tree a few weeks later during a quite 'spirited' run and we decided that actually we preferred mucking about doing tricks and stuff anyway, so we swapped all our other bikes for 2 'trials' bikes. By trials bikes I mean rigid steal 13/14" bikes with all the outer front rings taken off, DCDs, 600mm long risers, 50mm stems.

I kept that bike for a few years, then started building up my Echo ES4 (google them kids, one of the first 'proper' looking trials bikes... and I'm almost certain I own the only one that hasn't snapped...). By the time I'd built that I couldn't be arsed to ride any more... That was about 6 years ago. Still on this here forum and keep meaning to get back out there.

started off at a motorbike show, I saw a moto trials demo and just loved it, was obsessed with it for aaaaages

but couldn't afford a motorbike, so I started looking at biketrials instead, Took my old 24" apollo mountain bike, lowered the seat, stuck riser bars on it, V brakes and some cheap onza cranks, spent months and months abusing it, then bought my first mod bike

the rest is history

and now I come back to trials, everybody is riding 24" bikes with V brakes!

I should have patented it :rolleyes:

i got into trials by a few mates of mine they all did it and ive always wanted to do it but if you want a decent bike you have 2 spend a few hundred easy.then my friend give me his monty 22ti cheap and thats where i started,,,ive met well loads of awesome people through it and i certainly would recomend the sport to everyone..

Same mate, i remember watching the video and thinking how they did it, i was amazed, then me and a friend tried it on normal mountain bikes with not much success. I learnt a bit in the end, not much though lol.

no efin way lol i stil got my aston hawys dvs i swear there gona be worth somethin 1 day maybe not but fuk it i still watch em lol