New Bike Parts Advice Needed

Krisboats

I've managed to pick up some VERY cheap parts for a play bike recently (one of the benefits of no time constraints) and am looking at sorting out a new set of wheels for it.

Now my choices are use my existing planet x bmf and get a dx32 from tarty's to match it. Buy two new halo SAS rims or get some sun single track rims in that urban camo paint job.

I need a front hub and rim as my current one is non disc and i want a front brake. So i was going to get a hope xc hub off ********* as they're only £20 on there at the minute.

I guess the cheapest option is the dx32 and then spraying it black.

Or should i splash out and get the SAS rims? Would there be any benefit over my BMF rim? Weight wise the halo's are 780g, dx32 is 779g so they're the same.

The sun ringle rims are 630g each.

The camo rims would look something like this, but on a muddy brown kona shred (£40 bargain new off ebay).

Picture165_edited.jpg

Buy some drilled ones, unique look lol.
Its a proper bike, not a pogo stick... :P

I have Sun Equalizer 27 rims on my Commencal and they seem to be extremely good quality. I have managed to hit the rims fairly hard into rocks a few times while going down trails and have only put a tiny ding in one of the rims and they have stayed straight! The 27's are 'All Mountain' rims so depending on how heavy duty you need it might be worth looking at the wider 29 or 31 Equalizer rims :)

www.sun-ringle.com

Just stripped my bmf and re sprayed it ready to build it up and it looks very nice at the minute. I think i'm kind of swaying towards the DX32 route (helps with it being the cheapest option too!! :D) although i'm wondering if i can save some weight up front by going for something a bit similar in shape but lighter, like a rhyno lite or something.

Cheers for the offer on the wheel paul, but i think the red would be a little drastic on an otherwise black/silver spec'd bike.

I think the equaliser rims may be a bit small for me, i'm fairly weighty at 16 stone :(

I'd just keep the mtx's, and spray them if you don't like the colour. I have the welded mtx's on my dmr, and there bombproof, take a mental beating and still don't buckle or crack, where as every halo rim I've had have cracked at the weld....

I've never really been a fan of the triangular style rims, i think the only one that looks half reasonable is the EX729 or the ex325 disc only but it's not really a whole load lighter than the dx32.

At some point during the next week I'll have a spare D321 (identical to a EX729 other than the colour) built on to a rear Sun Abbah SOS with DT competitions, and a spare EX325 with a set of DT competitions to lace it to a front Pro 2 or similar. All in perfect working order, both strait and true and completely dink free. Would make a pretty much indestructible wheel set. Let me know if you'd be interested.