My Boys Birthday, What Bike To Buy

Happydaze

Hi

My boys eighth birthday is due and its time to get him a new bike, he fancies a bmx, any recommendations on a nice one, rather not buy one from the muppets at halfords as i would always prefer a recommendation and an independent. He is not to good on a bike, bit like me, but he has that look in his eye when i trial in the back garden so its only a matter of time before he gives it a go, there is much stuff out there I dont have a clue what to get him, thinking about spending a £100 or so, any advice would be great.

Thanks AL

At my shop I have a Falcon 18" Revenge BMX. It's a pretty decent BMX for a kid, white and black colour scheme, V-brakes, padded bar and stem, big tyres. A lot of kids tend to go for that kind of bike.

I think parents prefer that too. I always give the advice that with a BMX there's a lot less to go wrong. They're usually built stronger and tougher, and you don't have to worry about gears messing up, mechs being bent etc, so they take more of a beating = You don't have to fix it/pay to fix it every 5 minutes.

id say look on some legit bike shop sites for the 16" or 18" bikes maybe? just get some decent brand

shops like winstanleys bmx, the bmx shop, alans, custom riders, radbmxsho, brighton bmx co....or simply get an issue of ride bmx mag

Winstanleys are utter balls mail-order wise. I'm sure they're nice enough if you go in, but I know so many people who've been massively messed around by them. Most of my orders were late too. If you're pushing it to a deadline, I wouldn't risk it with them.

EDIT: By Mark!

Edited by Stan Shaw

Winstanleys are utter balls mail-order wise. I'm sure they're nice enough if you go in, but I know so many people who've been massively messed around by them. Most of my orders were late too. If you're pushing it to a deadline, I wouldn't risk it with them.

EDIT: By Mark!

can agree with stan here, ordered many BMX parts from them which never arrived. rung them countless amounts of times, they said something was being done, nothing ever happened. 2 months later we was off up to manchester, so we went to the shop in wigan, as soon as face to face confrontation got there they was more than happy to sort it out for me.

What about that one you can get from halfords that looks like a dirtbike, I'm getting one for my son/daughter when im older just so i can go on it! i've tried to find it on there website to provide a link but cant find it sorry, just hope you know what i mean! Twitch