Weight Weenies

Mission Prodigy Trials.

Hello, I am wondering if anybody on this forum is actually bothered about how much their bike weighs,

I have seen bikes around 8Kg before and I have ridden on the Onza Prototype at the bike radar show last year which apparently weighed 7.8Kg. !! :o

Does having a lighter bike improve your riding or is it just a personal preference for the rider. ?

JonMack is a weight weenie, by his own admission.

A light bike is easier to throw about, meaning you can get more distance with it than with a heavier bike.

Comp bikes are usually light because lugging a 10kg bike is very tiring, and it makes it easier to ride a section, on top of the fact above.

JonMack is a weight weenie, by his own admission.

A light bike is easier to throw about, meaning you can get more distance with it than with a heavier bike.

Comp bikes are usually light because lugging a 10kg bike is very tiring, and it makes it easier to ride a section, on top of the fact above.

10kg is relatively light i would have thought? hardly a tank...

The only way to get better is to ride your bike as often as possible

Doesn't matter if its 2kg or 200kg

Practice makes perfect!

I wouldn't like the thought of riding a 200kg bike, lol, trying to throw something around thats near enough 3 times your own weight aint gona be easy :P.

Josh.

No idea how much my bike weighs, I do take notice (alloy bolts, try-all carbon bars, ti axles etc) but run a heavyish frame (Yaabaa 1499) because I like the geo and its solid.

Definately function over weight, but if a light weight part will do the job well, then I'll buy it.

Lighter bike is more for riders who pretty much know what they are doing. Of course in comps wieght is very important, but if you are riding just for fun in streets (well maybe not always, but you get the point), weight isn't that much of a problem. As Chambers said, pratice makes you ride better, lighter bike helps too, but that's not the main reason.

kinda rides nicer too - easier to put where you want it i suppose

yeah, it does seem heavy considering I have sl rims, ti bb and pedal axles, but I do use a 200mm front disk, heavy rear tyre and a vee with all booster and adaptors, plus my mostly trialtech kit is light, but not super light (cranks, forks etc)

My bike is 8,4 kilos, but as long as it is under 9 kilos, I don't really care...

I changed my rear tyre to my Der Kaiser 2,5" and my bike is now 8,8kg!

That made me laugh!!

Yes I know it sounds a bit silly: I don't care as long as my bike is under 9 kilos but... IT'S 8,4 KILOS!

Sorry for that mate!

Edited by Canardweb

No idea how much my bike weighs, I do take notice (alloy bolts, try-all carbon bars, ti axles etc) but run a heavyish frame (Yaabaa 1499) because I like the geo and its solid.

Definately function over weight, but if a light weight part will do the job well, then I'll buy it.

Same, I had a KOT MS2 before that was 1.8kg, so fairly light even by todays standards, but it was really flexy to ride and it annoyed me too much in the end, so my current bike is about 10.5kg, it is pretty heavy but has a Simtra frame with Zoo forks, so it's nice and stiff. :P