Removing Free Hub From Spin Doctor Hub.

davey1991

I am currently using a Halo spin doctor hub on the back of my DJ bike.

Its got a bit quiet and skippy recently so i want to service it.

After taking the axle and bearings out and trying to give it a good old pull, there was no movement.

As far as i'm aware once the lockring has been removed most freehub bodys simply pull off with a firm sharp tug.

This is not the case.

If anyone knows how I would much appreciate the help, preferably before my hub skips again and puts my face into the pavement.

Thanks, Davey.

I am currently using a Halo spin doctor hub on the back of my DJ bike.

Its got a bit quiet and skippy recently so i want to service it.

After taking the axle and bearings out and trying to give it a good old pull, there was no movement.

As far as i'm aware once the lockring has been removed most freehub bodys simply pull off with a firm sharp tug.

This is not the case.

If anyone knows how I would much appreciate the help, preferably before my hub skips again and puts my face into the pavement.

Thanks, Davey.

Hmm, I know deore hubs use a 10mm allen key to undo the freehub?

Edit: Quick google Search reveals this...may be of some use :)

More Information

Halo Spin Doc. Freehub

– Halo Spin Doctor Freehub Replacement Guide-

· First step is to remove the push fit cones from the axle, just pull off and put to one side.

· On a hard surface, firmly tap the axle in a straight down motion to push out one of the bearings from the hub shell. I normally tap from the disc side first to remove the more difficult freehub bearing first.

· Turn hub over and repeat to extract bearing on other side of hub.

· With the hub shell free of axle and bearings, place an 11mm (or Imperial equivalent – 7/16”) in a bench vice. Do the vice up tight, it’s about to do a big job for you…

· Place the hub over the allen key, disc side down and lock in the freehub’s backnut. When in securely, turn wheel anti-clockwise. It WILL be tight, it WILL make a loud crack as the tension and threadlock is broken.

· With the backnut removed, turn the hub over and place freehub side down over allen key in vice. Repeat anti-clockwise motion with wheel to unthread freehub from hub shell. Expect effort and loud noises as before. Be sure to remove small spacer from hub also, it fits directly behind the freehub in the shell. The most common fitting error on these hubs is incorrect replacement of this spacer. DO NOT attempt to replace it over the backnut thread on the other side of the freehub.

· Have a good look inside the hub now you have the chance. Remove any grit, dirt or old grease and make sure everything looks good to go.

· Refitting Freehub. Re-assemble hub in reverse order to dis-assembly, take care with freehub spacer as mentioned before. Also, take care when re-fitting bearings, it’s not too tough, just be sure they go in straight…

Edited by Alex Dark

I use a hammer and block of wood, The axel will come out and so will 1 bearing , then use a big allen key to remove the other side.

If it takes a gentle tug to remove it, id be worried :S.

Not a gentle tug, a firm quite hard tug after you'd undone the retaining bolts, which i thought i had done, appears i had missed something.

Snipington.

Instant solution. Thank you Mr Dark.