Cannondale Ashton Signature Edition Frameset

atephoald

Hi all,

I hope some of you can help. I have the Cannondale Ashton Signature Edition Frameset from back in the day (not sure what year it was, maybe 1999?) and need some info on it if at all possible. Does anyone know where I can get specification info for this frameset? I need to know things like seatpost size, BB size etc so I can start building it up :)

I can post pictures if necessary and if anyone is interested, it's such a sweet frame. I also want to know if it's possible to get all the old school components for it - Coda Chainset, Yellow Raceline Maguras etc - and would love it if anyone can fill me in on the other parts used back then on the Cannondale Team bikes (trials especially), like saddle etc :-)

I look forward to hearing from anyone about this, even if you don't have the info I'm looking for but are just interested!

Best

Ed

med_gallery_1016_228_48986.jpg

Built up this little gem a couple of years ago.

Good luck coming across one of those volvo Cannondale seats, they are mega rare! This build has the original Coda grips too. I'll do some sizing up when I get a chance and get you info on the bb etc. Unfortunately I sold the blue Fatty forks it came with and have probably been promptly re-sprayed (they don't match a lot of new trials frames!) I think the groupset on Ashton's original was all sram with coda cranks if IIRC. Im running the azonic double wall bars too, pretty sure thats correct.

Will get some better pics soon.

Also the wheels are mavic d521's on hope mono hubs (pretty sure this is what Ashton used to run) I think he used IRC Kujos as his tyre choice. I rekon ebay is your best bet for most stuff.

med_gallery_1016_228_48986.jpg

Built up this little gem a couple of years ago.

Good luck coming across one of those volvo Cannondale seats, they are mega rare! This build has the original Coda grips too. I'll do some sizing up when I get a chance and get you info on the bb etc. Unfortunately I sold the blue Fatty forks it came with and have probably been promptly re-sprayed (they don't match a lot of new trials frames!) I think the groupset on Ashton's original was all sram with coda cranks if IIRC. Im running the azonic double wall bars too, pretty sure thats correct.

Will get some better pics soon.

Also the wheels are mavic d521's on hope mono hubs (pretty sure this is what Ashton used to run) I think he used IRC Kujos as his tyre choice. I rekon ebay is your best bet for most stuff.

Thanks RGP! That's the frame I have - didn't turn up a massive amount of info when I Google'd it so all info is very welcome. Doesn't even seem to be in any of the brochures I found on http://www.vintagecannondale.com - unless I missed it. The first things I want to get hold of are:

Headset

Stem

Bar

Seatpost

Saddle

Bottom Bracket

Chainset

That will be my first phase I reckon - due to financial restrictions! Ha.

So any measurements and info directly relating to the above is most valuable :)

Best

Ed

Edited by atephoald

Some of those are listed in my above post but heres a quick list...

Headset - I think it was a WTB headset

Stem - not sure, possibly CODA

Bar - Azonic Double wall / Pyramid

Grips - CODA

Seatpost - CODA

Saddle - Volvo Cannondale / CODA custom. (very rare!) he did use a Selle Italia Flite seat on later models though

Bottom Bracket - Unsure, probably shimano

Chainset - CODA running with SRAM gripshift / mech

Wheels - Mavic D521 (possibly ceramic) on Hope XC/Mono with IRC KUJO tyres (radially laced front wheel)

Brakes - Magura raceline yellow with custom booster (the one without the holes which was slightly wider)

Bashguard Filthy ard guard (think Leon on here has a black one for sale)

If I think of anything else I'll give you a shout.

Hop this helps.

I obviously spent too long gazing at the pages of MBUK when I was younger. :-

Rob

Edited by rathergoodpie

Some of those are listed in my above post but heres a quick list...

Headset - I think it was a WTB headset

Stem - not sure, possibly CODA

Bar - Azonic Double wall / Pyramid

Grips - CODA

Seatpost - CODA

Saddle - Volvo Cannondale / CODA custom. (very rare!) he did use a Selle Italia Flite seat on later models though

Bottom Bracket - Unsure, probably shimano

Chainset - CODA running with SRAM gripshift / mech

Wheels - Mavic D521 (possibly ceramic) on Hope XC/Mono with IRC KUJO tyres (radially laced front wheel)

Brakes - Magura raceline yellow with custom booster (the one without the holes which was slightly wider)

Bashguard Filthy ard guard (think Leon on here has a black one for sale)

If I think of anything else I'll give you a shout.

Hop this helps.

I obviously spent too long gazing at the pages of MBUK when I was younger. :-

Rob

Rob - you rule, thank you! I will post progress and let you know how I get on (if that's cool?) - but yes, please let me know if you think of or hear about anything else that may help me.

Best regards,

Ed

Could be way off here but I remember there was as few versions of the replica frame. The one pictured above is the taller one, which I think was basically a re stickered Beast of the East frame? As the years went on the lowered the top tube on them?

Could be way off here but I remember there was as few versions of the replica frame. The one pictured above is the taller one, which I think was basically a re stickered Beast of the East frame? As the years went on the lowered the top tube on them?

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure there was only one version. But yeah, does look quite tall in that pic!

dale4.jpg

Thats the beast of the east frame, I think later after that Aston was riding a much more trials orientated frame. I have loads of pics in an old MBUK mag, but I do not think Canondale ever made the frame he actually rode with the better geometry?

Just found this pic of the frame I am thinking of, looks like it has much more clearance than the one that was posted before.

98.jpg

Edited by mike425

dale4.jpg

Thats the beast of the east frame, I think later after that Aston was riding a much more trials orientated frame. I have loads of pics in an old MBUK mag, but I do not think Canondale ever made the frame he actually rode with the better geometry?

Just found this pic of the frame I am thinking of, looks like it has much more clearance than the one that was posted before.

98.jpg

That was his old frame but just re-sprayed I think. But yeah, the one that he rode had custom geo different to the production bike.

I think Lance Trappe rode a slightly different geo bike too.

from what i can remember he was running xlite phatso rims

also he was running hutchinson tyres at one point, which the front one had a yellow outer edge if u get what i mean

he had a mavic x517 ceramic on the front

thats all i can remember and i could be helplessly wrong

Seat-post sizes are a joke! There are so many... Can the industry say 'standardize' :)

Anyone tell me what size I need for the Ashton frame?

Cheers

Ed

Alright. i have just sold my ashton frame with the rare volvo seat. At the moment its sat in his garage doing nothing! might try and get the seat and post back if it would help you!?

the seat post is the same as was used back in the day the one with the yellow magnesium rails. it uses a 27.5 seat post but will post again later to confirm.

The BB would be a un56 113mm with the middleburn cranks i also have these sat in my tool box.

i have a list in an old MBUK mag that i had from years ago it shows the complete build and spec details, i can send you a copy of the pages if that will help!?

but will need to find it first :-

The small ones were custom made for Martyn Ashton, you couldn't buy them, we got blue beasts of the east, you won't find a pic of anyone but a Cannondale team rider on a small frame. It's not the same.

That's not right... The first set of signature frames were blue 16" Beasts of the East but there was a second version with a 14" frame as well which was available for a couple of years. Don't think the white fade ones were ever released though- team only.

Spec wise it's all about the red Beast of the East... Sun rims, triple colour Flite saddle, IRC tyres, Triple Trap pedals, CODA cranks etc etc. Chainspotting relived. I might actually kill to own a replica of that bike! :P

Alright. i have just sold my ashton frame with the rare volvo seat. At the moment its sat in his garage doing nothing! might try and get the seat and post back if it would help you!?

the seat post is the same as was used back in the day the one with the yellow magnesium rails. it uses a 27.5 seat post but will post again later to confirm.

The BB would be a un56 113mm with the middleburn cranks i also have these sat in my tool box.

i have a list in an old MBUK mag that i had from years ago it shows the complete build and spec details, i can send you a copy of the pages if that will help!?

but will need to find it first :-

Very very helpful - thank you! And thanks to everyone else who has responded so far - making some progress but still not decided on any parts yet...

May well be interested in the seat - let me know if you speak to him? I think the post must be 27.2 then as that concurs with what I found out earlier. Is the BB definitely 113mm then? That's great thanks :)

What condition is the Middleburn crank?

Would love a copy of the complete build and spec details - PM me and I'll give you my email.

Cheers

Ed

Hmmm, this is proving far more difficult than I originally thought - just to get the seat post, seat clamp and bottom bracket for this Ashton frame (!).

I had a go at measuring the tubes with a digital vernier today, and got the following:

Inside seat tube diameter - 26.8mm

Outside seat tube diameter - 30.8mm

Bottom bracket diameter - 33 to 35mm (which multiplied by Pi @ 3.142 is 104mm to 110mm circumference). Not terribly accurate I know.

The problem is that everywhere I have looked says that all Cannondale frames take a 27.2mm seat post, but the measurements I have say otherwise (26.8mm) - can anyone shed any light? I am guessing I need a 31.8mm seat clamp though as this is the closest available I think. Also, for the bottom bracket - do I need a 108mm then?

Pretty sure I have a 1.1/8" head tube; how do I know what size stem to buy?

Don't remember it ever being this difficult to put a bike together :P

Thanks in advance as always.

Ed

Inside seat tube diameter - 26.8mm

Outside seat tube diameter - 30.8mm

Bottom bracket diameter - 33 to 35mm (which multiplied by Pi @ 3.142 is 104mm to 110mm circumference). Not terribly accurate I know.

The problem is that everywhere I have looked says that all Cannondale frames take a 27.2mm seat post, but the measurements I have say otherwise (26.8mm) - can anyone shed any light? I am guessing I need a 31.8mm seat clamp though as this is the closest available I think. Also, for the bottom bracket - do I need a 108mm then?

Manufacturers tend to stick to one seat post diameter... if Cannondales are all 27.2 chances are that's what you need. However, you can get 26.8mm seat posts so if you're confident that's what you need, then go for it! You can always use a bit of coke can or something to shim it out. It's not like the seatpost will be used for much once slammed!

If the OD of the seatpost is 30.8 a 31.8 might be too sloppy. Again it depends on the confidence in your measurements! This ought to also be a standard size for all Cannondales.

BB size is axle length and shell width, neither of these have anything to do with the circumference of the shell. The width will be either 68 or 73mm and the axle length depends on the crank setup but will need to be somewhere between 118 and 128mm. You'll probably be safe with something like a 122.5mm axle but it all depends on setup.

Edit: Sheldon Brown confirms that all Cannondales use 27.2mm posts.

Manufacturers tend to stick to one seat post diameter... if Cannondales are all 27.2 chances are that's what you need. However, you can get 26.8mm seat posts so if you're confident that's what you need, then go for it! You can always use a bit of coke can or something to shim it out. It's not like the seatpost will be used for much once slammed!

If the OD of the seatpost is 30.8 a 31.8 might be too sloppy. Again it depends on the confidence in your measurements! This ought to also be a standard size for all Cannondales.

BB size is axle length and shell width, neither of these have anything to do with the circumference of the shell. The width will be either 68 or 73mm and the axle length depends on the crank setup but will need to be somewhere between 118 and 128mm. You'll probably be safe with something like a 122.5mm axle but it all depends on setup.

Thank you so much for the response - I just want to get riding the damn thing now! ;)

I reckon I'll go for the 26.8 post - as you say, it'll be slammed and hardly sat on anyway :) - there is a clamp already on the frame (which I measured as 30.8) but I just wanted a QR to make life easier when out and about.

The info on bottom brackets is most helpful for sure! I thought there were different diameter/circumference sizes. I guess I really need to decide on the crank before I buy the BB?

Cheers

Ed

Yes. There are two main types of crank/BB interface- square taper and ISIS. You will need to decide which cranks and which interface you want before buying the appropriate BB (Y).

Well, ideally I would like Coda or Middleburn, but I guess the latter is the only one possible now? My budget isn't massively high, but any recommendations? Might just end up sticking a 24/7 BMX one on :P

Cheers

Ed

Well, ideally I would like Coda or Middleburn, but I guess the latter is the only one possible now? My budget isn't massively high, but any recommendations? Might just end up sticking a 24/7 BMX one on :P

Coda's would be truly awesome for oldskool cool but there are very few if any still going. Tenth hand from eBay would probably be your only option! Middleburns' are expensive if you buy new. Unless you already have the 24/7's it's probably worth checking out the 'for sale' section and tracking down a set of Trialtechs or similar to get you going. Cheap, light and plenty strong enough.

Edit:

img1217u.jpg

Ooooooh yesssssss... :$

Coda's would be truly awesome for oldskool cool but there are very few if any still going. Tenth hand from eBay would probably be your only option! Middleburns' are expensive if you buy new. Unless you already have the 24/7's it's probably worth checking out the 'for sale' section and tracking down a set of Trialtechs or similar to get you going. Cheap, light and plenty strong enough.

[image removed}

Ooooooh yesssssss... :$

Ahhh man, don't - that hurt! I want. Seeing as though the frame is brand new condition, I want to put as many brand new parts on it - I don't mind spending a little bit so will look at the Middleburns and see... I have a 24/7 crank on my DMR, solid as f**k, love it.

So, for brand new - what would be your choice?

Thanks again.

Ed