Bring Back Old Skool

yet again i broke my bloody bike again....

when i started riding 12 years ago yes 12,,,,,,i dont rember really braking stuff even after 2years when i was a lot better then when i started stuff did not brake. since the change of frames drilled rim and so on things just dont last. now i know that the goal posteds of the sport have moved i.e going bigger with gaps and so on but i am going back old skool. i have just got a old azonic ds1 frame, built a mavic 521 on a xt hub last night , fsa cranks .

i might just be getting old but when i was at the demos (2years ago) my riders bikes were all ways in need of help . does any one eles rember old days i.e 1999 -2000's ? does any body still ride a old skool bike?

i have said my bit now so i am off.......

many thanks chez

yet again i broke my bloody bike again....

when i started riding 12 years ago yes 12,,,,,,i dont rember really braking stuff even after 2years when i was a lot better then when i started stuff did not brake. since the change of frames drilled rim and so on things just dont last. now i know that the goal posteds of the sport have moved i.e going bigger with gaps and so on but i am going back old skool. i have just got a old azonic ds1 frame, built a mavic 521 on a xt hub last night , fsa cranks .

i might just be getting old but when i was at the demos (2years ago) my riders bikes were all ways in need of help . does any one eles rember old days i.e 1999 -2000's ? does any body still ride a old skool bike?

i have said my bit now so i am off.......

many thanks chez

Yes matey old skool rider here although she's been rebuilt with a touch of the new. I stopped riding back in '99 and decided before christmas to get back into it although everything except my frame an forks basically were fooked so I rebuilt her with modern bits and I must admit it rides brilliant! My mates back riding with me on his ds1 as well!

There's some pics of my bike in this thread

I think it's partly due to us weighing alot more in our mid 20's once the muscle has set in lol, I feel like a slug compared to 5 years ago.

Plus most riders nowdays are 9 stone emo kids.

Edited by LEON

i remember the old school stuff ... around the time i ran the cycle department at jjb sports 1999 lol.... however i feel the opposite , i broke more in them days than i do now , i would snap a pair of azonic bars a month , fsa cranks only lasted 2 months at best and hope xc rear hubs ... well i cant remember how many of those i broke , went through 3 azonic shorty frames in one year and 2 planet x jack flash frames the year after , as well as a handful of excel frames (pace copies).....and to top that off i was actually 13 stone super fit ,

i quit 5 years ago around the time the base ta26 was out and have just started up again about a year ago, and to be honest i reckon the newer stuff is stronger ..and im 18 stone now ! i think its because manufacturers are giving the extra forces trials puts onto components a more serious thought than back in the day , i suppose its also about your riding style , once you learnt to ride well , you can work on your smoothness and things last longer .!

old school was fun though ill give you that!

I think it's partly due to us weighing alot more in our mid 20's once the muscle has set in lol, I feel like a slug compared to 5 years ago.

love it leon but yea i make you right there sir. the idear of moving quick makes me ake just thinking about it.lol.

I weigh 13 stone and don't tend to break much, I think it's also down to how smooth of a rider you are.

Depends how big you go too, if you frequently do 9-10ft drops to concrete then nothing's gonna last. I'm usually about 14.5 stone, which by riders standards is pretty heavy.

Over the 13+ years I've been riding I've broken plenty of stuff, but early on alot of it was mtb frames, shimano hubs, azonic single walls, I haven't broke anything major in years.

If only the kids of today saw what we had to work with in 1997 lol.

Edited by LEON

Depends how big you go too, if you frequently do 9-10ft drops to concrete then nothing's gonna last. I'm usually about 14.5 stone, which by riders standards is pretty heavy.

Over the 13+ years I've been riding I've broken plenty of stuff, but early on alot of it was mtb frames, shimano hubs, azonic single walls, I haven't broke anything major in years.

"cantie" brakes , flate xc bars, if you was lucky 15inch frame. i agree with leon back in the day we were at the for front along side 12 others in southend, basildon and what we at to use back then was crazy. learning stuff took months not 2weeks and back hopping and starting to gap thing.But and this is BIG BUT they were some of the best days of my life i trials was a diffrent world back then.

kids would give up in days if the had my old scott or leons old kona lol....... but i am going back to what i know with a frame that iwas after for ages £300 at my age back then might as well been 3k.

Too true, the only people who made trials specific parts were the riders bodging them out of other stuff. I remember gettin my dads mate to machine me a bashring out of stainless when I was about 14 (1997) to go on my 4 arm STX-RC cranks cause the only one I ever saw was the custom middleburn one made for Martyn Ashton! First frame I used for trials was a 15" one I got from some bike company who's catalogue was a giant leaflet you used to get in the back of MBUK and MBR mags!

Who remembers Crud DCD chain tensioners??!!

DCD%20Chain%20Guide.JPG

Edited by isitafox

im in the same boat as you i weigh about the same and been ridin for about the same time, ive got one of the old excel pace replicas with some real old skool parts on it, shimano dx v's on the front on a d521 and a rear rst cable disc on a mavic d321 ceramic disc only rst disc hub (which has never skipped once) with all 1998 xt group set and an orange finishing kit.

I remember back in the day when side hops were all about seein how far you could go to the left or right not how high u could get!!

But thats just me bein old haha

i love this thread and i fully agree, i am building a '05 t-rex which is pretty modern except i will be riding it in a old school fashion partially because i'm crap but mainly as i want to practice to do some pre '65 motorbike trials when i'm older or can afford a twin shock trial bikes,

everyone these days is trying to go against the constant hopping style but in my opinion that's what makes it fun.

THERE'S ONLY ONE WAY TO RIDE AND THAT'S WHAT EVER WAY YOU WANT.

i happy that i am not alone on this.

All though there is one thing i do now that i didnt back then which is were a lid my pal yesterday come off his bike and hit the floor at full speed and walked away with a cracked lid .one lesson to be noted i feel.

(Y)

lol

I rode a 03 t-master for ages, i loved it and would happily get one again. Im now on the koxx and have the fear of cracking it :(.

Old-school is mint and that's coming from your 9 stone 18 year old.

I've ridden a bit of everything from old school (megamo pro20 circa 99-00) to new school (monty 221ti 05) and after a few years off i've just gone and bought myself a 1998 megamo pro26 :D

Let the good times roll!

Ben.

I've ridden a bit of everything from old school (megamo pro20 circa 99-00) to new school (monty 221ti 05) and after a few years off i've just gone and bought myself a 1998 megamo pro26 :D

Let the good times roll!

Ben.

mr cox hello sir

you going old skool dude glad to here you are still about you will have to me up for a ride at some point.

HAI. ^_^

I'm not so sure I agree with all newer stuff breaking more. I used to crack frames, snap forks and destroy BBs/cranks, but I'm not really worried about any of those now. If you buy stuff that's suitable for how you ride, you should be fine. Not everything out there now is super light...

old school ! i still have my limited edition hawzee giant team trials i bought it after flaring the head tube on my ashton volvo cannondale team trials frame it still rides well and has a full {now retro} build i started trials back in 1997 on a 12" orange clock work with xc parts and flat bars! somebody should see how many old school riders are around and organise a ride.

old school ! i still have my limited edition hawzee giant team trials i bought it after flaring the head tube on my ashton volvo cannondale team trials frame it still rides well and has a full {now retro} build i started trials back in 1997 on a 12" orange clock work with xc parts and flat bars! somebody should see how many old school riders are around and organise a ride.

stooie how much do you want for it name your price? please i am after one badly.... i will do you a tattoo for free..

i am up for organiseing a ride.. if i am onist i was think that i wanted to see how many of us are still alive.

i will email peaps at some point from this post if i can sort some thing.