---

Akira_Shock!

As in the title. Curious about the Hifi because a mate wants to swap it for my frame. I heard so many MIXED reviews on this frame it's a bit confusing. :S

-anyone broken one? headtube a bit worryin...

-short stays (375mm) and +50? or was it +55?

-did it come in long and short? or just one geo

echo_hifi_test2.jpg

Can anyone compare it to Deng's other high BB frames... like the GU Typhoons, Pitbull 06, Czar Ivan, Adamant 06

Cheers!

it rides like a turd. sometimes it will float other times it will sink and sometimes it will just explode everywhere

Edited by Ash-Kennard

I had one and it was fantastic on the back wheel, could sit there for days without thinking about anything, however it was HEAVY and felt pretty dead and lifeless to ride (could have been my setup though). Because of the high rise BB and short reach you were over the front a lot and it felt really unnerving sometimes, especially when tapping and doing stuff to front wheel. Bigman once very eloquently described the hifi as 'a frame that is fantastic for sitting on the rear wheel but ultimately stops you progressing because the geometry is too extreme' (or words to that effect). Compared to the triton its a big heavy barge :)

Strength wise I dont think you will have any issues, at the end of the day its a 2.2kg frame - its not going to be weak!

Seems there's A LOT of hatin' on this frame. Why is it so bad? I heard the Koxx Boxx had identical geo to this yet people loved the Boxx?

I know 375mm stays are a bit short for a high BB frame... but does anyone know the reach of the frame? BB to headtube

There must be some people that really got along with this frame, surely?

Seems there's A LOT of hatin' on this frame. Why is it so bad? I heard the Koxx Boxx had identical geo to this yet people loved the Boxx?

I know 375mm stays are a bit short for a high BB frame... but does anyone know the reach of the frame? BB to headtube

There must be some people that really got along with this frame, surely?

The Boxx had a slacker head angle, longer wheelbase and longer stays....so the only common thing was the BB height. ( pkus the boxx didn't ride all that amazingly in my opinion anyway :S )

VERY short...my Coust is short at 378, no idea of the reach...at a guess probably 655 or so though as the one I went on felt quite cramped.

Well if that's true than the head angle could have spoiled it. There's a massive difference between 71 and 72.

Too true...although the Boxx was 71.5, wheelbase was 1092 though

The reach on the hifi was rediculously short, something like 625mm springs to mind.

Bugger off 625...has to be over 640 surely :S

Bugger off 625...has to be over 640 surely :S

I could be wrong but Ive just measured the triton at 675 (1085 +30 72) so same wheelbase but the hifi has much slacker head angle shortening the reach and with 25mm more height on the BB and youre not far off the 50mm are you? It was a couple of years ago I measured the hifi and at my age who knows what it really was, silly short though either way :D

edit: I had nicks old hifi.

Edited by forteh

People keep mentioning how the stays were too short for the BB height.

But, looking at some other frames:

-GU Typhoon 2008

-GU LE 2009/2010

^These both can come in +60mm BB rise (10 more than a HiFi) yet they still have 375mm stays... and people praised the heavens? Damon and some others rode the 08 Typhoon pretty darned well too?

absolutly love mine. It is a short feeling bike for the wb but once your used to it its all good. Strength wise its like a tank. Looks good. And with the right set up feels like a comp bike imo. Faultless For what i use it for but others have higher standards i spose. What do you ride now?

in regards to alex darks comment about them feeling cramped (mine he is on about), his bike is a barge at a 1100 wb so :P

they stand out from the crowd, not the usual. The geo is slightly more mainstream now unlike when they first came out.

here is mine.... appart from it keeps failing, sorry.

Edited by trialsmax04

absolutly love mine. It is a short feeling bike for the wb but once your used to it its all good. Strength wise its like a tank. Looks good. And with the right set up feels like a comp bike imo. Faultless For what i use it for but others have higher standards i spose. What do you ride now?

in regards to alex darks comment about them feeling cramped (mine he is on about), his bike is a barge at a 1100 wb so :P

they stand out from the crowd, not the usual. The geo is slightly more mainstream now unlike when they first came out.

here is mine.... appart from it keeps failing, sorry.

Do us a favour and measure the reach will you, it will bug me otherwise :D

If youre not sure on what reach is, take a tape measure and measure the distance from the centre of the BB axle to the centre of the top of the headtube (on the same plane as the centreline of the steerer tube).

Do us a favour and measure the reach will you, it will bug me otherwise :D

If youre not sure on what reach is, take a tape measure and measure the distance from the centre of the BB axle to the centre of the top of the headtube (on the same plane as the centreline of the steerer tube).

From what i can gather (centre of bb shell to centre of head tube allong the down tube) 650mm give or take 5mm. Seam right?