Lands End To John O Groats

James Quigley

Hey everybody, just thought some of you might be interested in my upcoming bike ride.

Me and a friends are going to be cycling from Lands End to John o Groats (South western most point of UK to the North Eastern most point of Scotland, give or take). We will be carrying out the ride to raise money for both the British Heart Foundation and the Juba Link appeal. The ride will take place over 17 days, day 1 kicking off on the 25th July.

We have planned our route and, without minor detours for food etc, we will be covering over 1100 miles. this will be especially fun for me as our shortest day is 56miles and our longest day is 95 miles and my longest ever bike ride to date is about 25 miles haha, so I'm currently thinking I should be training quite hard from now!

If anybody is interested in sponsoring me please follow this link LINKY (every little bit helps)

also if anybody is interested in the ride itself then follow the facebook group here FACEBOOK GROUP , my friend will be updating it with a video blog as we go.

So any helpful training advice/general advice or comments then please tell me

Thanks for reading, James

I guess it's too late but if I were you I'd start in John O'Groats and head South. When you get to the end you'll be in the middle of nowhere, it'll probably be really windy and raining and you'll have to turn round and cycle another 50-100 miles to get to a train station or bus depot or whatever to head South again! Ending up in Lands End leads to something like a 10 mile ride back to a main train line which would get you all the way to Southampton, Pompy, London or wherever you want to end up. Just a thought :P.

Edit: There's also the best fish and chips shop in Redruth that you can stop at on the eve of your last day before rolling the final 25 miles to Lands End. By the way, are you rough camping on the way up/down or what?

Cheers for the donation Dave (Y)

I've left my friend to organise the ride, I have mentioned that going from John O groats to Lands end would be much easier in the grand scheme of things but he just kept saying it wasn't the same so I just let him get on with it haha.

I think it's about 40 miles ish back from John O to the train station then a relaxing 16 hours or so on the train back South >_<

We'll be staying in campsites along the way, it will cost a little more than camping in a random field but we will be able to charge phones and have a wash so will work out better. The towns we'll be staying in are: Lands End, Bodmin, South Molton, Cheddar, Stroud, Stourport-on-Severn, Matlock, Thongsbridge, Settle, Ullswater, Langholm, Galashiels, Edinburgh, Perth, Ballater, Alness, Tounge and John O'Groats.

I'm really quite looking forward to it, should be a laugh, if a little tiring.

Off to test fit the panniers tomorrow to see if all of our stuff will fit in them, fingers crossed.

We'll be staying in campsites along the way, it will cost a little more than camping in a random field but we will be able to charge phones and have a wash so will work out better.

You big softy!! Rough camping in random fields (and occasionally in random woods just on the outskirts of Bristol) for the win!! What sort of bike will you be doing it on?

Built up my on one inbred into as light a bike as I could with what I had laying around (basically condensed 2 of my bikes and some spare parts into 1 long distance hybrid haha) Thought the steel frame would be more comfortable/suitable over this distance)

Going to be fully rigid, v-brakes and slick tires. I'll get a picture up tomorrow evening with the panniers all loaded up.

Edited by James Quigley

My brother did the same ride for charity a few months back with his work they did it in nine days and they started from north not south.

Good luck! my brother said his arse was bleeding when he finished!!

Edited by club_card

Hence why we're spreading it out, hopefully no bleeding arses. Neither of us are particularly strong cyclists, maybe 30 miles is a long ass ride done once a year. So for us doing and average of 70 miles a day for 17 days it'll be a good challenge for us.

Waiting on some new forks and may need a new pannier rack as the retro one i've got is a bit unstable when fully laden, then the bike is done and good to go.

Forgot to mention we plotted our route on a map yesterday with an elevation graph as well. Day 11's going to be a bitch, basically up and down scottish mountains all day (mostly up).

You see, if you go from the North that whole run South of Glasgow is a breeze! We spent half the day rolling downhill at 30mph! That'll be one hell of a slog back up!

monkeyseemonkeydo's right, North to South is all downhill surely?

Technically it's probably slightly uphill since the Earth is an oblate spheroid (assuming you start and finish at the same altitude relative to sea level). However, since you will finish slightly further from the Earths centre of gravity than you started then the gravitational pull exerted on you will be very slightly less than when you started as well, thus making it easier to climb hills...

Aren't the sea levels of scotland outdated in most cases due to the continuing rise it's experience after the glacial period of this iceage? If you were to take a GPS and log your entire journey it would be interesting to see a plot of both route and altitide changes!

• 1 month later...

I work in alpine bikes inverness, if you need any help with the bikes pop in (eg if you need certain tools) i will happily help you out.

watch out for the hills between caithness and brora there are massively steep hills with sand traps for the lorries to get caught in when there brakes fail.

Cheers for the advice and offer of a bike shop to use. I would say we'll be taking spares etc but by we're not going to carry that much so will probably have exhausted our spare tube/patch supply by the time we reach inverness. Not long to go now, just shy of 3 weeks, I've got everything i need ready just need to carry on with the training. Campsites are all booked too, which I've literally only just finished doing, good thing they weren't all fully booked.

I'll chuck some pictures up in here when I can be bothered to plug the camera into the computer.

I would say we'll be taking spares etc but by we're not going to carry that much so will probably have exhausted our spare tube/patch supply by the time we reach inverness.

Quite surprisingly we didn't have a single puncture the entire way, and that's riding in the gutter most of the time where all the crap gathers. I didn't take much in the way of spares at all, though a good multitool and spoke keys definitely came in handy!

• 2 weeks later...

Jeez, not clipped in, on a mountainbike (with front suspension?!) and with your all your gear on the back. I salute you and your effort!

I hope you've got a good nutrition plan?

Anyway, when I've got some money in the week I shall try and throw you a few quid in sponsorship. I have a lot of respect for what you're doing :)

No suspension, just suspension corrected rigid forks. I've spoken to a few people that have done it and they say as daunting as it is when you start you'll get through the days one at a time and it'll be fine really.

For anyone that's interested here's our daily plan (there's a few errors/things missing but you get the jist).

37579_624376240084_223302349_7922783_1367146_n.jpg

Well I set off in 90mins, living on the Isle of wight it's going to take us till 5 this evening to get to Penzance, then first day cycling tomorrow. Woo Hoo

For anyone that does still wanna donate - www.justgiving.com/quigley1100miles

Wish us luck