Should Cycling Helmets Be Compulsory?

Captain Scarlet

60 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cycling Helmets Be Compulsory?

Basically my final piece of work for my TV and Film course at college, coming here to hear your points of view towards the subject of helmets in cycling.

I am of course a regular trials biker and sometimes cyclist who always wears will argue the case for wearing a helmet, yet I work in the cycle trade and contrastingly would hate to see business slow like Australia when they introduced cycle helmet compulsory.

So I will be discussing this topic in a subjective manner, giving myself a balanced argument for and against, if anyone wants to share; opinions, data, research, previous projects or anything related then it will be more than appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by Captain Scarlet

Well i suppose if you get really into a dangerous form of biking like trials then you youuld have the brain to know to wear one. If your just the kind of person who rides every so often and doesnt do much then you dont really need one. All in all we have too much laws in the country so i disagree.

I think for things like road cyclists they should be compulsory as those guys can reach some pretty high speeds, my cousins husband took a corner too fast last weekend and crashed into a wall, think he was doing about 30 and ended up breaking a lot of bones but it could have been a lot worse.

As for other forms of cycling, trials, downhill, cross country, I think it should be down to the rider themselves as they'll know their own limits on a bike and what they're gonna push themselves to do. If your just going down the odd main road to get between trails I dont think it need be compulsory, common sense should be used here.

Why should everyone pay (NHS) for someone to be treated for a serious head injury and maybe long term disability because they couldn't be bothered to wear a helmet ?

What if I fell over in the street, injured my head and I wasnt wearing a helmet?

Why should everyone pay (NHS) for someone to be treated for a serious head injury and maybe long term disability because they couldn't be bothered to wear a helmet ?

Yeah I think it should be compulsory to wear a big foam suit at all times, in case we have an accident.

As someone else said, I'll take fines rather than wear one.

The same could be said for someone who is wearing a helmet but breaks their back and is paralysed for life. Just cause they're wearing a helmet doesn't justify me paying for them to live.

Well yes, the argument is that someone that takes all reasonably practicable steps to protect themselves, in this case wears a helmet, should be entitled to free medical care. If you can't be bothered to take those precautions and you receive an injury directly related to this then you are at fault.

A helmet isn't designed to protect someone from breaking their spine so hardly a valid argument.

Should definately be compulsory. It would save the NHS money, and quite frankly I think you're a f**king idiot if you don't wear one. I've known people that have died or ended up in intensive care due to not wearing one. One guy was doing about 15-20mph when he came off and landed on the back of his head, died instantly. If he'd been wearing a helmet he'd have probably walked away.

Should definately be compulsory. It would save the NHS money, and quite frankly I think you're a f**king idiot if you don't wear one. I've known people that have died or ended up in intensive care due to not wearing one. One guy was doing about 15-20mph when he came off and landed on the back of his head, died instantly. If he'd been wearing a helmet he'd have probably walked away.

Well I personally don't enjoy riding with a helmet on, I find them f**king annoying.

Therefore, when I go out without one I fully accept that I'm putting myself at risk.

Well I personally don't enjoy riding with a helmet on, I find them f**king annoying.

Therefore, when I go out without one I fully accept that I'm putting myself at risk.

I find them annoying too, I doubt anyone would find it more comfortable with a helmet; but surely the benefits of wearing one and the risk of not make the choice fairly simple at the sacrifice of some comfort?

I find them annoying too, I doubt anyone would find it more comfortable with a helmet; but surely the benefits of wearing one and the risk of not make the choice fairly simple at the sacrifice of some comfort?

I find them annoying enough to not ride with one, therefore I'd never go out on my bike...

So I could buy a helmet, but it would render my bike and said helmet useless.

You may except that, but why should I accept your liability ? Helmets are proven to save fatalities/serious injuries...

Hell why not let people on motorbikes not wear a helmet ?

You may except that, but why should I accept your liability ? Helmets are proven to save fatalities/serious injuries...

Hell why not let people on motorbikes not wear a helmet ?

Exactly, I mean hell I don't find seatbelts the comfiest thing in the world, but you would never catch me driving without one!

I feel that any form of transport where the person is power source - bicycles, skateboards etc. shouldn't require helmets to be worn.

I happen to be in the small percentage of the population that off the shelf helmets don't fit. I've been into 3 bike shops recently and could find only one helmet that got close to fitting me.

So, last week, I placed a £500 order on CRC and bought 9 helmets in L/XL

4609036036_a2a2937f79.jpg

Half of them don't go on at all and the others are fairly painful. But I have found one that I'm reasonably happy with.... sadly it costs £75. The rest are going back.

A compulsory helmet law would be a bit unfair on people like me...

I think for things like road cyclists they should be compulsory as those guys can reach some pretty high speeds, my cousins husband took a corner too fast last weekend and crashed into a wall, think he was doing about 30 and ended up breaking a lot of bones but it could have been a lot worse.

As for other forms of cycling, trials, downhill, cross country, I think it should be down to the rider themselves as they'll know their own limits on a bike and what they're gonna push themselves to do. If your just going down the odd main road to get between trails I dont think it need be compulsory, common sense should be used here.

Haha, what so road riders who ride on smooth road and very rarely fall should be made to wear a helmet, but downhill riders who frequently wear full face helmets shouldn't?!

For riding on roads, especially for kids under 16 it should be compulsory, not just for your your own safety but if your messing around and go into the side of a car or something and die, the driver then has to deal with playing some part in your death even though it may be completely your fault.

I learnt the hard way how important it is to wear a lid and its defiantly worth it.

Thing is though , if they did make it compulsory you know there would be some dick heads who would stop wearing one just because they don't like being told what to do.

Edited by mr ailsbury

How many of you wear seatbelts when in the car?

Thought so...

Not a fair comparison. Everybody should wear a helmet, while riding on the road. However, it should be common sense, not something you're forced to do. This is what's holding the human race back: It's no longer survival of the fittest, health and safety law is keeping the idiots alive.

The same could be said for someone who is wearing a helmet but breaks their back and is paralysed for life. Just cause they're wearing a helmet doesn't justify me paying for them to live.

Just No. Paying for someone that broke their back wearing a helmet is helping somebody who at least tried to protect themselves, but paying for somebody who cant be bothered saving their life isnt right, as its their own fault