Inventions That Need To Be Made

sayshell

-116 mm hope pro 2

-colored magura hosing.. its plastic you can make crazy neon and transparent colors

-splined forks and stems (a fork and stem that has a cut out spline so they never can rotate and you never have to align your bars with your wheel ever again)

-spanish bbs. well its already been invented but all trials frames need to have them. They are mechanically simpler and less likely to have problems and slightly lighter and echo already makes bbs for them

-splined forks and stems (a fork and stem that has a cut out spline so they never can rotate and you never have to align your bars with your wheel ever again)

I hope it never happens - I've been saved a few times when I've crashed onto my bike and my stem has spun round on my forks slightly which has lessened the impact on my body. Similarly, I've crashed and let go of my bike before and my stem's slipped round slightly instead of bending my bars/tweaking my forks. Having a bit of give in something like that is a good thing. Equally, it'd be heavier, harder to make (and with how shocking some trials companies manufacturing is, I wouldn't want them to have to be that precise with something like that), cost a lot more and just generally not really give you any benefit other than "never having to align your bars with your wheel ever again" - a 2 second job that doesn't really require much hassle.

• Like 1

I hope it never happens - I've been saved a few times when I've crashed onto my bike and my stem has spun round on my forks slightly which has lessened the impact on my body. Similarly, I've crashed and let go of my bike before and my stem's slipped round slightly instead of bending my bars/tweaking my forks. Having a bit of give in something like that is a good thing. Equally, it'd be heavier, harder to make (and with how shocking some trials companies manufacturing is, I wouldn't want them to have to be that precise with something like that), cost a lot more and just generally not really give you any benefit other than "never having to align your bars with your wheel ever again" - a 2 second job that doesn't really require much hassle.

Actually it would be lighter, because you could eliminate the pinch bolts altogether. That doesn't seem like a logical point about crashing, I remember I would joke about this guy who claimed to have a "break away stem" he would just leave the pinch bolts loose so if he crashed the bars would fack up. Anyways I am sure you don't want your wheels to shift in your frame, bars to rotate, or anything like that having the stem move is just annoyance especially on a mod. Precision is not a big issue at all with splines as long as its kind of precise because if their is a lot of splines you can run it just like a normal stem and put it on whatever degree you want but it will be locked into position and can't rotate. With a mod stem this is even more usful because they are long and have lots of leverage and are prone to shift left and right. + trials companies already have this degree of precision easily. They can make your bars perfectly perpendicular to your stem and this takes even less precision. The best way to do it is simply cut chunks out of the fork and add the splines into the stem. With those giant U6 4mm steerer tube you could easily cut small grooves without comprising strength

Sorry but i've got to side with Mark.

If there is no movement at all in the stem then things are just going to snap if you bail, the movement thats their even if its not alot, could be enough to save your bars/ stem.

Many of the companies have doubtlessley thought of this and dismissed it, the machining costs would also increase the price of forks and stems.

You'd be either loosing weight and strength from the cutouts or gaining weight to maintain the same strength.

This is why things are good as they are, threaded headsets went away for moving to much, splined ones obviously haven't turned up because there is no movement, threadless stems are hopefully here for a while.

I agree with sayshell. Don't crash your bike, just make everything.

you do realize that if your stem doesn't turn it still won't break when you drop your bike. What puts more stress on a stem a big gap to front or dropping your bike.... If your stem would break from dropping your bike then it would also break from leaning forward... so you should actually not lean forward when you ride with my stem system because it will also break if you do that. The only part that can prevent damage by moving is brake levers, because by sliding out of position the bar takes the impact for it. It really annoys me, every time I do a spin my stem shifts a tiny bit unless I do the pinch bolts up really tight which is what I do do, but thats annoying because the stem still "creeps" very slowly so like every 5 days I need to set it straight again, and I hate riding with allen keys. I just don't like the idea of anything on a bike staying in place only by friction because friction is sketchy. Unless its low torque like brake levers.

Hey I agreed with you!

I was told to slacken my brake levers so if i crashed they'd just move rather than break. I told him I don't crash.

Anyway, I want a 24" high BB TGSy frame with a bashplate, rear disc mount that'll take snail cams.

Edited by JT!

I think there is a way to make a hope 116mm?

Just an idea , but, 

There has got to be current 116mm drivers that fit, and say, use one of these, make your own axle?

Grind disk rotor mount off

Maybe?

Coloured hosing has been made and comes in 16 colours, but at £16, im ok.

<br />Awww, are you cold?<br /><br /><br />Adjustable head angle so that if I want to, I could run massive forks on my DMR to look gangster, that I could later lock down to usable length lol<br /><br />No, I'm not serious.<br />

I don't know whats going on with my damn quoted haha, its happening to all of them..

Anyways I am sure you don't want your wheels to shift in your frame, bars to rotate, or anything like that having the stem move is just annoyance especially on a mod.

I really can't be bothered explaining how totally different it is, but those reasons I gave are the reasons that I've heard from every bike company who's responded to people asking them to make splined steerers, and they're the plain reasons people don't. It's nothing at all like "wanting your wheels to shift" or anything like that, because, as I explained in my post (in some detail), they're put under totally different forces. I'm not saying you should have a 'break away stem', I'm going from my own past experiences. Again, I don't give a shit if you agree with me seeing as you don't actually appear to read anything I say properly, so just believe whatever fantasy you like. It really doesn't bother me at all.

Oh, and:

Precision is not a big issue at all with splines as long as its kind of precise

Did you even read what you wrote? It's actually quite impressive how you managed to totally contradict yourself about 7 words later. I haven't seen it done that well before, good effort. Believe me - trials companies really could do with upping their game tolerance wise. The reason it might seem to you that they're alright at the moment is that you don't get to see all the mistakes they make. Some of us do.

• Like 4