Forks - Echo Sl Or Echo Urban

sandeeebeach219

Cool, I need to ask:

Does the shape of the echo urbans not put you off?

How did you crack them?

And what exactly is wrong with echo sl?

Nope, the fork shape of the forks doesn't put me off.

I run a front vee, but all forks are something that'll crack/snap within time, so there is no such thing as an indestructable set.

They're too light for their own good, they're very snappy.

SL's are meant to snap very very easy.

Can I ask though, what would the weight difference be between standard onza forks and the urbans? Cos this will help me decide too. Thanks. X

sorry i dont know the weight of the onza forks, urbans are about 750 though.

thanks.

Im gonna go for urbans i think :giggle:

• 1 year later...

I want to review this old thread because the Echo SL fork is still called Echo SL fork in 2012, however the design has changed significantly. I have right here a brand new Echo SL fork and a brand new Echo Urban fork. The steerer tube of the SL fork is actually thicker than the steerer tube of the Urban fork, because it is internally butted, and it feels rather solid. By contrast, the Urban fork steerer tube has a uniform cross section throughout its length. In addition, the the SL fork blades meet the steerer tube at a more shallow angle which means more weld/contact area, whereas in the Urban fork that angle is closer to 90°, resulting in less weld area and in theory a weaker fork, at least at the junction.

I actually requested the Urban fork from the Echo factory as a replacement for the SL that they supplied with the whole bike. I am supposed to return the SL fork to them, and now that I can compare the two side by side, I might change my mind as the new SL fork is much better designed than I imagined.

But somehow the Urban fork still doesn't look like it's going to brake any time soon. I guess both are good forks.

ive had urbans for 2 years now ..never changing them!

When did you buy your last set of Urbans? Because the 2009 version are thick as hell, but the 2012 ones hare thinner, having less material in the steerer tube than the 2012 SLs.

2 years ago .. XD i got the 09 ones dude :)

Exactly! Those buggers are beefy as fook... The steerer tube is thicker in the 2012 SLs and in the 2009 Urbans than in the 2012 Urbans. Overall the 2012 Urbans are still heavier than the 2012 SLs so, apart from the dropouts being thicker, I assume the 2012 Urbans have thicker blades.

It makes sense to make the SLs stronger, but it doesn't make sense to make the Urbans weaker than the SLs at the steerer tube :unsure:

I think I am going for a ride...

Edited by Scoox

Just got myself a set of echo sl's 2012, 4b an disc and there super light and feeling stronger then my old echo lites, and there tuff forks.

Its hard to say because a few of you guys are talking abut 26" fork, whereas others 20" fork.