Ground Rims ?!?!?

WIGAN ??

right after using smooth for about 2 years i made the mistake of grinding my rim, evry time i ride someones bike with a grind the brake feels really snappy and bitey so i gave into the temptation to grind it, iv gone through 3 sets of pads in about 8 weeks and dont even ride that often anymore and the brake has never been as good as my tnns on smooth, just wtf is going on help please ?

right after using smooth for about 2 years i made the mistake of grinding my rim, evry time i ride someones bike with a grind the brake feels really snappy and bitey so i gave into the temptation to grind it, iv gone through 3 sets of pads in about 8 weeks and dont even ride that often anymore and the brake has never been as good as my tnns on smooth, just wtf is going on help please ?

Grinds are brilliant. Just buy some heatsink yellows cnc backings and give it a new, good bleed (if its hs33 you have...)

iv used tnn yellows,lasted about a week, rock blues lasted about 3 and i have koxx browns on at the moment wich are wearing down rapidly and will probably be gone in the next 3 rides all in cnc backs aswell, i wasnt expexting the yellows to last a lifetime iv been using a fairly harsh sharp grind on the blues and the browns and it just makes a sort of swooshing sound like its just powdering the pads and not biting them, a mate of mine who uses grinds has done my rim for me a few times and even he cant get it right and his brakes amazing :\

Edited by WIGAN ??

f**k off, heatsink yellows on a harsh, well anything other than light grind is silly. They wear instantly!

You've got one hell of a harsh grind there Wigan! The Tnn Yellows are a very soft pad material as it is, as are the Hs Yellows.

Get yourself the Tnn Kbs, you'll never look back man! x

f**k off, heatsink yellows on a harsh, well anything other than light grind is silly. They wear instantly!

You've got one hell of a harsh grind there Wigan! The Tnn Yellows are a very soft pad material as it is, as are the Hs Yellows.

the yellows are long gone hha and i wasnt gunna get heatsinks anyway theyr pretty much the same compund, i was either gunna get some bealays or phats but im worried my grinds just gunna powder them and its gunna be a waste of money again, im not really pressing the grinder on hard and its at about a 45 degree angle iv followed all the steps on the tarty blog thing and NOTHING seems to be working, now i remember why iv hated grinds for all these years :|

the yellows are long gone hha and i wasnt gunna get heatsinks anyway theyr pretty much the same compund, i was either gunna get some bealays or phats but im worried my grinds just gunna powder them and its gunna be a waste of money again, im not really pressing the grinder on hard and its at about a 45 degree angle iv followed all the steps on the tarty blog thing and NOTHING seems to be working, now i remember why iv hated grinds for all these years :|

Adam blud, I was in the same position. Just get the TNN's kenny belaey's with a fresh grind, no tar using a brand new stone cutting disc. f**king brill man.

• 2 weeks later...

+1

Iv been using Monty 219XHs on a light grind there medium/soft and are lasting me pretty well...... So far.

Sounds like youve ground too harsh man like josh said you get a nice light grind with a metal cutting blade. Stone grinding blades are much rougher so you have to be much more careful

Its all about starting light, if thats not good enough try a bit deeper you can always grind more this way. If you go in for the deep grind straight away your pretty f**ked if its too harsh...

Grinds are good but a smooth rim can be just as bitey with some brake spray or fruit juice or genrally something that drys sticky like coca cola . i use a smoth rim and rockman blues and if i didnt have dry coca cola on my rim theyd be hopeless. but with coca cola stand up to the grip of most grinds

i hope this helps

Well im worried that my pads aren't wearing enough haha. i use a medium grind with heatsink reds in cnc backings and they have been on my bike for a year and there still loads life left!!

Mine are the 08 heatsinks still going strong! and my brake couldn't actually be better. I would say go for some heatsink pads and they will last ages!