20" Or 26"

I was wondering what is better or easier. A 26" inch trials bike or a 20" trials bike?

all answers are greatly recieved.

Douglas

hi douglas if you are just starting and short i would go for a 20" bike as there alot more flick able and awarding to a beginner. :turned:

thanks iain .

is tht douglas reid

I was wondering what is better or easier. A 26" inch trials bike or a 20" trials bike?

Douglas

From what I have heard, may not be true but mod's are easier to learn on, can someone tell me if this is true?

And I ride mod and love it.

It depends upon

1) your height? If you are 6ft you would probably prefer stock

2) personal preference.

EDIT: Guy above beat me to everything I said. Lol.

I hope i helped you out,

Darren.

Edited by darrenm782

hi douglas if you are just starting and short i would go for a 20" bike as there alot more flick able and awarding to a beginner. :turned:

thanks iain .

is tht douglas reid

Thanks. No this is Douglas Weir. Im friends with Sandy though.

normally a mod (20") would be easier to learn on

how tall are you, if your like 6 foot and up, maybe a stock would be better for you

thanks

at the moment im riding a 20" KOXX and finding it not too bad and im 6 foot 4 inches. But i have never tried a 26" bike before so dont know whether it wud be better or not.

Ive heard going from mod to stock, is way easier, then again, Ive also heard its way harder and since the bike is bigger, it harder to control.

Just whative hears, not my opinion. I would like to try a stock sometime

Well I'm 6ft 5 and I've ridden both

Height has nothing to do with it. I find it all comes down to how you like to ride your bike.

I preferred the characteristics of a stock in the end so i stuck with it (bigger wheels, easier rolling etc)

thanks. Its good to hear someones oponion that is taller than me and saying that height doesn't matter.

This is a debate that will almost definately never end. Like numerous people have said its down to preferance and your own physical ability. Im 5' 11" and ride mod and love it.

Though i have ridden Stock before and found it to be just as easy and fun as a Mod,

Its your choice :lol:

Enjoy riding, whatever you ride :)

Douglas

I know absolutely nothing about trial bikes (which is why I just signed up and glanced over this thread!) however, I can suggest you take a quick look at this video I found earlier on tartybikes.. http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/media.php?group=guides&id=8 which explains it somewhat. The fella doesn't go into the extreme detail, but it gives a good overall picture for newbies. Lots of other interesting info in the other videos. I already know how to take a sprocket off a hub and I don't even have a bike yet! B)

Please do gun me down as required on this one! :)

On the subject of the 20 vs 24 vs 26 debate, it sounds to me like a lot of people suggest a 24 as being the best compromise for a beginner.. but then again they're fairly rare and expensive, meaning that newcomers like me end up buying either a 20 or a 26. So...

Why not buy a 26" bike, take off the wheels and fit it with 24" wheels? Then revert back to the 26s once you feel confident? The only issue I can see is with the brakes - the 26 frame will have brackets in the wrong place for 24inch rim-style (V-style?? pardon the amateur language) brakes. But what if you fitted disc brakes instead? OR is the reason no one does this because the frame is effectively 2inches longer than it should be so the geometry gets all screwed up?

I know there MUST be a reason why this is a stupid proposition and no one does it (or has ever suggested it!), but what is it?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I had an onza t bird for year and a half and i hated it. Just got a koxx giacomo coustellier not long back off ebay for £300 good deal!!!! Its the best thing i've ever done. I've made so much progress since then. I am about 5 foot 10 and i found the 20 inch to small for me but it depends on what you like. I prefer 26" but like i say it depends on which size and style you are! Hope this helps

Edited by Ben Mortimer