Facebook Places

JD™

Hi all,

Some of you may have noticed that Facebook has released something called 'Places' today in the UK. It basically means you can use your phone (or computer maybe, but I haven't tried that) to 'check in' wherever you are. This info is then put on your profile. It could be handy for meeting up with people, but on the flip side it's quite scary in a few ways. Obviously if you use it right you'll never check in at home and then Malaga the next day to show off to burglars you're not in...

I have used it just once, to 'Check In' at my own office. Dunno whether I'll use it a lot, but I'm going to update as much as I remember for the next few days to see whether there's any benefits to it (like some random person I haven't seen for ages seeing I'm in a pub down the road and giving me a text or something) or not.

Anyone else giving it a chance?

Twitter have had it on their iphone app for aaaaages now and they've now got it on web twitter too.

My biggest concern is that if you plot something on the map you can't delete it yourself, you have to report it as like spam. I put my house on thinking it would just post up "Tom is, in his house" on my facebook feed. It did do that but its also put it on the "nearby places" part so anyone with an iphone within about a 3 mile radius can see my address etc. FML

Twitter have had it on their iphone app for aaaaages now and they've now got it on web twitter too.

My biggest concern is that if you plot something on the map you can't delete it yourself, you have to report it as like spam. I put my house on thinking it would just post up "Tom is, in his house" on my facebook feed. It did do that but its also put it on the "nearby places" part so anyone with an iphone within about a 3 mile radius can see my address etc. FML

In that case, you just check yourself in somewhere else I suppose? (Y)

Just as I'm not yet receiving the updated Twitter, I'm not receiving Places yet.They haven't bothered to update the Android app so I have to use touch.facebook.com which doesn't have any privacy settings at all.

Have you worked out what it means for your business yet JD?

Edited by konstant

I'm not going to stop using Foursquare either, but I have no friends on Foursquare because no one I know uses it.

I feel like a bit of stalker asking people to add me on Foursquare and 90% of the time they've never heard of it... so I don't do it any more.

Places will change that... Because it's Facebook, everyone will use it. And suddenly it'll become useful in the way that Foursquare isn't at the moment.

I'm not going to stop using Foursquare either, but I have no friends on Foursquare because no one I know uses it.

I feel like a bit of stalker asking people to add me on Foursquare and 90% of the time they've never heard of it... so I don't do it any more.

Places will change that... Because it's Facebook, everyone will use it. And suddenly it'll become useful in the way that Foursquare isn't at the moment.

yeh does look like 4square. f**k that

Have you worked out what it means for your business yet JD?

Not really yet. It's not going to have a massive effect either way, that's for sure. But if I can find a way of taking advantage of it from an advertising point of view then I'm going to be right on it. I.e. advertising to people who have checked in somewhere near my client, while having an interest in that business. It would boost my worth to a client massively.

Mad how many people I've seen check themselves in at the '[surname] Residence', people have no regard for their privacy!

I'm waiting for real time tracking so I can hunt down my friends seeing as they don't answer their f**king phones half the time.

What bar you in, WHAT BAR ARE YOU IN, JUST YELL THE NAME OF THE f**kING BAR YOUR IN, THE FIRST f**kING LETTER WILL DO!

people have no regard for their privacy!

Indeed. I try to avoid Facebook whenever possible - I have friends who don't have jobs, sit at home and update every 2 seconds to the latest 'news' of what their kid had done or doing. Nobody finds their kid interesting except them; but I guess if all you have in your life is a Facebook page, you do run out of options.

The lack of privacy is pretty shocking. I once did a test of a random facebook friend - using the information I managed to get hold of his email address, password and in turn access to his online banking information, ebay, amazon, paypal accounts...It's very easily done. Fortunately for him I'm not the malicious sort and I did tell him - however there are a lot of people who would have used that information and hung him out to dry.

I would happily bet that I could ring up a couple of my friends, claim to be from Facebook and explain they have some virus and I need to reset their account, for which I need a password...I'd bet most would give it me without any question.

People are thick. Which I don't know if it is a good thing or a bad thing.

Internet is such a waste of time, the majority of the time, like now. People have their birthdays listed for many to see, which is dumb also. What i hate about is FB is the random friend requests, it's ridiculous. Just because it says "you may know this person" doesn't mean click "add as friend" or whatever. Most people on my friends list can't even see all my pictures etc :rolleyes:

Personally I don't care if people know where I am, but I'm not going to set this up because I don't want to look like a twat.

Facebook has it's uses (the way my new phone syncs with my facebook contacts for phone numbers and emails for example), but telling it where you are all the time is too far.

I'd like to see groups on facebook so that I can allow certain friends to have my phone number and email address on it, and then this places thing would make sense to me so my uni mates can see where I am.

Actually, can this be done? It seems logical but I don't really know my way round facebook any more, it keeps changing.

Personally I don't care if people know where I am, but I'm not going to set this up because I don't want to look like a twat.

Facebook has it's uses (the way my new phone syncs with my facebook contacts for phone numbers and emails for example), but telling it where you are all the time is too far.

I'd like to see groups on facebook so that I can allow certain friends to have my phone number and email address on it, and then this places thing would make sense to me so my uni mates can see where I am.

Actually, can this be done? It seems logical but I don't really know my way round facebook any more, it keeps changing.

Hit 'Friends' on the left, then 'Create List' up the top. From there you can use those lists in privacy settings as well as individual status updates. I haven't checked out whether they apply to Places, but I can't see why it wouldn't.

Indeed. I try to avoid Facebook whenever possible - I have friends who don't have jobs, sit at home and update every 2 seconds to the latest 'news' of what their kid had done or doing. Nobody finds their kid interesting except them; but I guess if all you have in your life is a Facebook page, you do run out of options.

The lack of privacy is pretty shocking. I once did a test of a random facebook friend - using the information I managed to get hold of his email address, password and in turn access to his online banking information, ebay, amazon, paypal accounts...It's very easily done. Fortunately for him I'm not the malicious sort and I did tell him - however there are a lot of people who would have used that information and hung him out to dry.

I would happily bet that I could ring up a couple of my friends, claim to be from Facebook and explain they have some virus and I need to reset their account, for which I need a password...I'd bet most would give it me without any question.

People are thick. Which I don't know if it is a good thing or a bad thing.

Haha It's quite scary how people can be naive sometimes to what sort of information Facebook and these social networking sites can potentially let out. Common procedures from some employers in office and management sectors use Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Google, Linked In etc as a tool to find information out about there employee. You may think what has personal life got to do with professional life but, I know a few people now who have actually been made redundant from there jobs because they have posted Facebook status's about a co-worker, day time activities, night time activities and thoughts. I know now that after a job interview similar procedures can happen with using social networking sites to try and gain information. Facebook isn't that bad now if you set up your privacy settings properly though.

This 'Facebook Places' thing again sounds like something that may have some cool uses, but lets out a lot of private information you may not be aware of or want to share openly.

Edited by Danny@phatworks