2012 Inspired Range

Mark W

Update: Skye details available here.

---------------------

Seeing as this is up elsewhere, thought it may as well be up here...

Interview with Dave with riding from Ali.

I know some people here have been interested in the new Inspired 26" frame/bike, so there you go.

Updated 21/10/10:

Inspired have begun releasing info on their new bikes, starting off with the new Hex. From their website:

For 2011, Inspired Bicycles will be introducing the Hex 26" street bike. The Hex design and geometry allows riders to benefit from the compact and maneuverable geometry of the popular Fourplay 24" bike, but with the associated benefits that come with 26" wheels.

After extensive testing with team rider Ali Clarkson and other top street riders from around the world, we are confident that the Hex offers a level of quality and performance that cannot be found in any other 26" street frame.

The front of the frame features an externally butted and tapered headtube, with strength improved further by using external top and downtube gussets.

The Hex features a one-piece bottom bracket and chainstay yoke that has been designed to offer excellent clearance for both the tyre and also the chainring. The one-piece design increases stiffness and strength at this important area and carefully designed pockets mean the weight has been reduced significantly.

The rear of the bike features exclusive-design seat and chainstay tubing to improve crank and heel clearance. The compact CNC machined dropouts and neat CNC gear hanger maintain the clean and stylish look of the frame, while improved weld angles and contact area help to maximise strength.

Every component used to build the Hex complete bike has been carefully selected to give excellent performance in all areas: The front of the bike features proven Inspired alloy rigid forks, FSA Orbit sealed headset, Trialtech 3D forged stem, Inspired 7075 riser handlebars and lock-on grips. The drivetrain is built using a Truvativ Holzfeller trials crankset, Inspired platform pedals, KMC chain and exclusive design Trialtech chain tensioner. A custom Hope Tech-Trial front disc brake and Magura HS33 rear rim brake give you reliable and strong braking performance in all conditions. The wheels are 100% handbuilt in the UK using Sapim Race double butted spokes, Inspired drilled rims and Hope Pro2 Trials sealed hubs front and rear.

The complete Hex bike was first previewed at Eurobike in September by rider Ali Clarkson and the reaction was excellent. We can confirm that the RRP for the complete Hex bike will be £1669 GBP (including 17.5% UK VAT) and the frames will sell for £399 GBP (including 17.5% UK VAT). Both bikes and frames will be available in early November from official Inspired dealers. Ali has been busy filming some scary and creative lines on his new bike since he returned from Eurobike so keep an eye out for a Hex video edit once the bikes are released!

The Hex full bike:

L_INS_Hex_Red_1_RH_Side.jpg

L_INS_Hex_Grey_1_RH_Side.jpg

Weight

- 11.54kg including pedals.

The Hex frame:

large_hexframered.jpg

Weight

- Weight: 2.07kg/4.56lbs

Geometry

- Wheelbase: 1035mm

- Chainstay: 385mm

- BB Height: +20mm

- Head Angle: 73°

- Seat Post Diameter: 27.2mm

- Headtube Length: 120mm

The Fourplay Team bike:

For 2011 the Inspired Fourplay Team has received subtle geometry changes and an improved component spec to ensure that it maintains its position as the 24" bike that is leading the way for street riders around the world. As more and more riders discover the benefits of riding a versatile 24" bike, the Fourplay is allowing them to push the level of riding everytime they get on their bike.

The slightly lower bb and shorter wheelbase mean riders will benefit from more stability when manualling as well as a bike that is generally more manoeuvrable, especially for spins/rotations. To make the most of the improved geometry, front and rear disc brakes are fitted as standard, giving riders more control for manuals and adding to the smooth, flowing riding style the bike encourages.

The front of the frame features an externally butted and tapered headtube, with strength improved further by using external top and downtube gussets.

To increase strength, stiffness and tyre clearance the Fourplay uses a one-piece bottom bracket and chainstay yoke. Excess material has been removed from this area to help reduce the weight while maintaining the associated performance benefits.

The rear of the frame features exclusive-design seat and chainstay tubing that improve both crank and heel clearance, while on the left side of the frame a CNC machined disc mount combines with an additional gusset and bracing tube. The compact CNC machined dropouts and neat CNC gear hanger maintain the clean and stylish look of the frame, while improved weld angles and contact area help to maximise strength.

Using components from some of the world's leading manufacturers results in a bike that is capable of performing at the very highest level of street riding. Steering is handled by custom Inspired alloy rigid forks, Trialtech 3D forged stem, Inspired 7075 riser handlebars and lock-on grips. Drivetrain components are Truvativ Holzfeller trials crankset, Inspired sealed bearing platform pedals, KMC chain and an exclusive Trialtech chain tensioner. Custom Hope Tech-Trial disc brakes front and rear offer excellent braking power in all weather conditions and improved control, helping riders to develop a smoother and more stylish style. The wheels are 100% handbuilt in the UK using Sapim Race double butted spokes, Inspired drilled rims and Hope Pro2 Trials hubs front and rear.

Available in Gloss Lime Green or Gloss Dark Red colour schemes.

L_INS_Team_Green_1_RH_Side.jpg

L_INS_Team_Red_3_Side_Detail.jpg

L_INS_Team_Red_5_Front_Detail.jpg

Weight: 11.60kg (including pedals)

The Fourplay frame (which will be available in disc + 4-bolt, not just disc-only as shown):

L_INS_Team_Red_1_Side.jpg

L_INS_Team_Green_1_Side.jpg

L_INS_Team_Green_5_Dropouts.jpg

L_INS_Team_Green_7_Headtube.jpg

Geometry:

- Wheelbase: 1020mm (measured with Inspired Fourplay fork)

- Chainstays: 380mm

- BB rise: +20mm

- Head angle: 73°

- Brake spacing: 89mm

The Fourplay Pro bike:

L_INS_Pro_Blue_1_RH_Side.jpg

L_INS_Pro_Mint_2_LH_Side.jpg

L_INS_Pro_Blue_4_Rear_Detail.jpg

L_INS_Pro_Blue_5_Front_Detail.jpg

Weight

- 11.66kg (including pedals)

Overview

For 2011 the Inspired Fourplay Pro has subtle geometry changes and a revised component set that gives it even better value for money while maintaining an excellent all-round level of performance.

The slightly lower bb and shorter wheelbase mean riders will benefit from more stability when manualling as well as a bike that is generally more manoeuvrable, especially for spins/rotations. To make the most of the improved geometry, front and rear disc brakes are fitted as standard, giving riders more control for manuals and adding to the smooth, flowing riding style the bike encourages.

To increase strength, stiffness and tyre clearance the Fourplay uses a one-piece bottom bracket and chainstay yoke. Excess material has been removed from this area to help reduce the weight while maintaining the associated performance benefits.

The rear of the frame features exclusive-design seat and chainstay tubing that improve both crank and heel clearance, while on the left side of the frame a CNC machined disc mount combines with an additional gusset and bracing tube. The compact CNC machined dropouts and neat CNC gear hanger maintain the clean and stylish look of the frame, while improved weld angles and contact area help to maximise strength.

Built with a range of Inspired and Truvativ products, no corners have been cut to get the durable and quality bike spec we wanted for a reasonable price. Up front is a Truvativ Holzfeller 7075 riser bar with Trialtech stem and FSA Orbit headset. Truvativ Holzfeller trials cranks create the platform for a excellent drivetrain with a KMC chain, Trialtech platform pedals and custom chain tensioner completing the setup. Braking duties are taken care of by Avid, with Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes front and rear, giving the rider the necessary level of control they require. For the wheels we decided on Inspired double wall rims built to Trialtech's super-smooth disc hubs front and rear.

Available in Gloss Dark Blue or Gloss Mint Green colour schemes.

Next up is the Element bike and frame:

L_INS_Element_Yellow_1_RH_Side.jpg

L_INS_Element_Grey_2_LH_Side.jpg

L_INS_Element_Yellow_4_Rear_Detail.jpg

L_INS_Element_Yellow_5_Front_Detail.jpg

New for 2011, the Inspired Element 24" street bike offers excellent value for money for new riders to the sport but also the performance and quality that even the most experience riders can benefit from. Based on the market leading Inspired Fourplay frame that featured in the now legendary Inspired Bicycles April 2009 video by team rider Danny MacAskill, this bike is the perfect introduction to the new and exciting world of street mountain biking.

The geometry of the Element gives riders of all experience levels and cycling backgrounds to progress their riding ability and broaden their bike handling skills. As a first bike to learn the basics, a more focussed and finely tuned bike to help you perfect a new riding style or just a great all-round bike to have fun with, the Element can cope with it all. The combination of short chainstays and compact front triangle mean you get a bike that both bunnyhops and spins very well and also offers a stable feel for manuals. Up front, the 73 degree steering angle and short off-set forks help with the more advanced front wheel based skills.

The Inspired Element frame is made from high quality 7005 aluminium and features a build quality normally associated with frames at a much higher price range. To ensure excellent strength and stiffness at the main contact areas, the headtube features external reinforcing as well as top and downtube gussets, while the bottom bracket/chainstay area is constructed from a single forged and CNC machined component. To help the robust construction of the frame an increased wall thickness is used on the more vulnerable areas of the bike.

We believe that a bike with excellent value for money should still offer excellent performance for all levels of rider, the Element is the perfect example of this philosophy with a carefully selected component group from some of the world's leading component brands. The steering section of the bike consists of an exclusive Inspired aluminium rigid fork, Truvativ Hussefelt riser handlebars and a Trialtech stem. Drivetrain components include Truvativ Hussefelt trials crankset, Trialtech platform pedals and exclusive design chain tensioner. Avid SD7 levers, cable disc brake and rear v-brake make up a simple yet highly effective brake system. For the wheels the Element features a pair of Inspired double wall rims built with super-smooth Trialtech sealed bearing hubs front and rear.

Available in Gloss Yellow or Gloss Grey colour schemes.

The Element frame:

L_INS_Element_Frame_Yellow_1_Side.jpg

L_INS_Element_Frame_Yellow_3_Side.jpg

L_INS_Element_Frame_Yellow_6_BB.jpg

L_Element_Frame_Grey_8_Graphics.jpg

Geometry:

- Wheelbase: 1020mm (measured with Inspired Element fork)

- Chainstays: 385mm

- BB rise: +20mm

- Head angle: 73°

I think they look stunning and the red is especially nice but i've got to admit there was a pang of relief when i didn't like the look of it as much as my Fourplay.

I'd love to do a comparison test of this and my Fourplay sometime as these sure look a lot of fun!

Would io also be right in saying the tubing used on the Hex is ever so slightly chunkier than the Fourplay?

Edited by Matthew62

i've got to admit there was a pang of relief when i didn't like the look of it as much as my Fourplay.

You'd better hope you don't see one in person then :P The dropouts, headtube and BB yoke are all sort of upgraded versions of the ones found on the Fourplay, and they look super good in person. It just makes it all look a bit more 'together', almost.

Ali's Hex rides really nicely too. The geometry got revised from the previous version, and it's made it really, really nimble. I could never really deal with 26" bikes before because they always felt 'big', but this one feels pretty nimble but still actually rolls/handles like a 26" bike. It's a really good compromise.

You'd better hope you don't see one in person then :P The dropouts, headtube and BB yoke are all sort of upgraded versions of the ones found on the Fourplay, and they look super good in person. It just makes it all look a bit more 'together', almost.

Ali's Hex rides really nicely too. The geometry got revised from the previous version, and it's made it really, really nimble. I could never really deal with 26" bikes before because they always felt 'big', but this one feels pretty nimble but still actually rolls/handles like a 26" bike. It's a really good compromise.

I must admit the dropouts on the Fourplay do look a bit shit - and they did surprise me way back when originally bought my frame, so i imagine updated ones would look nice.

I feel the same with street based 26'' - always feel too big. Fine for MTB'ing but not what i like to do on street. If this Hex is as good as you say it is then i imagine we're going to be seeing a hell of a lot of them very soon.

Yeah, most MTB companies seem to do super slack angles/geo on all their 'street' frames which is the complete opposite of what's best for street. Inspired have kinda angled it more towards a BMX-style of geometry which definitely helps with that. I don't think I'd personally make the switch, but for people used to riding mountainbikes who want a 'fun' bike too, it might be a better option than going for a 24".

I believe Inspired are planning to gradually introduce whichever changes they're making for 2011, so I'd assume there'll be whatever info they have about them out in a few weeks or so. Don't really know much more than that, so apologies for being super vague! On the Eurobike video linked in the first post Dave talks a little about the new Fourplay range (e.g. the way they're dual disc), so you can pick up some bits 'n' pieces from that...

its ace to see companies putting a serious amount of thought into their bikes :D i'd rather rock a hex over a koxx, if i wasn't a dirty tgs fag. spec looks brilliant, are the inspired forks really worth the extra dorra over some trialtech ones?

They're sort of just a stronger version of the Trialtechs really, so if you're doing streety bashing then I'd probably go for Inspireds and if you're doing more 'trialsy' stuff then probably the Trialtechs. The Inspireds do have the benefits of looking pimp ;)

The Hex is now available for pre-order from all Inspired dealers too (Y)

Pleeeeeeeeeeease let there be horizontal dropouts on the new fourplay. That would make my year.

If they are going to be anything like the Mac's bike, I believe they are going to have 360 dropouts. If they do that, there had better be a disk mount! :P

Edited by Mat Tea Why