How Much Of Your Own Maintenance Do You Do?

bikeperson45

113 members have voted

1. 1. How much of your own maintenance do you do?

• All of it, haven't used an LBS in ages
    • Majority, use LBS for wheel builds etc.
    • Use an LBS quite often, not for punctures etc.
    • Never done maintenance in my life, LBS all the way
    • I do maintenance but as a result break my bike and then use an LBS

TartyBikes is the only shop I trust to carry out quality service. Mainly only stuff like chasing BB threads, facing headtubes, fitting headsets, and in future: wheelbuilds. Every other bikeshop will mess something up from my experience so all the rest of maintenance is done in my room with some James Brown in the background.

It's weird how everyone thinks they're better than LBSs, I've always thought the same though. When a mechanic saw my trials bike he's suddenly all "oh yea, me and Martyn Ashton good friends..."

And when people build wheels do you use lube on the nipples? Guy in my LBS said that was stupid because they'd just unscrew if you did that but I'm pretty sure he's wrong?

It's weird how everyone thinks they're better than LBSs, I've always thought the same though. When a mechanic saw my trials bike he's suddenly all "oh yea, me and Martyn Ashton good friends..."

And when people build wheels do you use lube on the nipples? Guy in my LBS said that was stupid because they'd just unscrew if you did that but I'm pretty sure he's wrong?

I'd rather have them come loose once in a blue moon than have them tighten up to the point where the nipples snap or become very stiff to turn, ultimately rounding them as the spoke key slips.

I'll let Adam provide a proper answer!!
You should lubricate nipples when building a wheel.

Who needs Adam when you have the Sheldon Brown website?

Sheldon Browns Wheel Build Guide

"Spoke threads and spoke holes in the rim should generally be lubricated with light grease or oil to allow the nipples to turn freely enough to get the spokes really tight. This is less important than it used to be due to the higher quality of modern spokes, nipples and rims, but it is still a good practice."

Do everything myself personally. I'm trying to buy all the tools I need as and when they are required. Between a few close mates we have pretty much everything covered bar servicing of nitrogen charge rear shocks. I do most of the wheels though as I was lucky enough to be taught by the tart himself :)

I can't believe the number of shops that will build wheels then take them back after a few rides to be tightened/trued, purely comes down to not stressing them when you build em. I've never had to do that to any of mine so long as I use the stand on the spoke crossing method of stressing them.

adamcomedywheelbuild.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have to do most of the things myself because I don't have a LBS as I live on a island, I've worked in a bike hire shop for about 3 years so I have just learnt things from that. Also learning from books, magazines and DVDs has helped alot, I wouldn't really trust myself to service forks or shock well theres the simple things like setting up suspension and rebound settings but I'd proberly send them to Mojo to get them professionally serviced, I'm in need of one of them soon anyway. I'm gonna get my Cytech qualification next year aswell its all good fun really.

Edited by Milo123

There's a bike shop in Nottingham called Freewheel, and inside this shop works a guy that I know.

I reckon he could fix my bike real good, it's just, my bikes don't really break in a catastrophic way that requires a trained guy to fix them.

Furthermore, I can't be bothered to go to the effort of going into town, booking in my bike, then taking it in when it's due, then paying for it to be fixed, and having to pick it up, when I can do an acceptable job, at least, from home, and each time I do the job I get better at it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've never used my lbs. When I was about 11 and just getting into racing xc my uncle gave me the haynes bike book and I learnt everything from that and just working things out for myself. I learnt to build wheels when i was about 15 from an article in ride bmx and looking at pre-built wheels. Learnt to service forks at about 15 too from just taking them apart and rebuilding them as I was just getting into dh, and I'm just learning how to service a shock now which will be quite handy when I get back into dh.

In my opinion it's just lazy to take it to your lbs and as someone already said, if you do that how are you ever going to fix a problem out on a ride.

I use my LBS maintenance-wise for things like pressing in headsets, back wheel builds for my trials bike and the occasion things I don't have tools for like disc mount facing or BB I don't have the tool for.

Unlike other bike shops I have been too, my regular one is very, very good. I would trust them to carry out any task on my bike. And having been going there for years now and becoming friends with them, they always give me a good price ( or no charge on small things ) on work needing done. I usually get a tiny bit off RRP aswell which is cool

I use olive oil, mostly because I came to build a wheel one day and had f**k all proper lube.

It works brilliantly.