Phatworks - Now Online!

Phatmike

Hey all,

Our site is finally up and running. A huge thanks must go to Danny Brady for putting in so much time, effort and talent designing and coding the whole thing, Neil Symmonds (Dealz) for helping get the whole thing going, the Biketrial Federation for encouraging our sponsorship of the National round on Sunday (and all next year!) and also to everyone else who's helped out.

Our PHATPADS, PHATMAGS and PHATVEES are now on sale! They've all been re-designed and re-engineered from the ground up to be as good as they can be. The much talked about PHATPHLUID will also be released soon.

A secure, Paypal cart system for orders is now up and running on the site, whilst our Steamline card payment system is in progress. Delivery is set for UK orders and international orders are more than welcome. We will contact anyone abroad regarding delivery charges above the Uk cost once an order has been made. (We use Royal Mail and Airmail)

There's a lot of info yet to go on the site, from our incredible group of team riders and new media, to news and galleries. So keep an eye out!

We're really, really pleased with our new pad range, and feel the quality of them is something that has never been seen before, and after riding them for the first time on Sunday I can confirm the performance is better than ever. Everyone who has seen them has said the same kind words, but I urge you to try them out for yourselves!

I welcome any comments, feedback, warnings or advice regarding anything we've been working on.

Mike.

www.PHATWORKS.co.uk

post-715-008366400 1287529426_thumb.jpg

post-715-065540200 1287530229_thumb.jpg

post-715-039760400 1287530299_thumb.jpg

And may i ask, what is phatphluid, is it the same kind of idea as monty spray? (pray on tar)

I think it is a replacement for royal blood to bleed with.

So its as thin as water therefore you get the nicer lever feel, and it doesn't freeze in the cold (like mine have today (N))

The site looks really good, nice and easy to use. Good work!

Edited by onza limey20

well, if it has tought me anything, it's to keep my ideas to myself.

To be fair though, I don't have a business type mind, so I doubt I would have taken Joypads far. So I give in, no more links to certain Ebay stores. you are doing a good job, the pads look professional and I wish you the best of luck for your company. (Y)

Gav gave me one of his custard doughnuts to try at lunchtime yesterday. That doesn't mean I'm on his team...

All that Mike's said on his site is that the riders are on board with Phatworks, are tyring his pads and he looks forward to their feedback. No mention of team there. Ben put it in inverted commas as well, presumably because he realised that those riders are just trying the pads out.

EDIT: Site's looking good Mike (Y) I've sent you a message about some browser issues I was having.

Good luck with it all!

Edited by Ben Swales

Although Ross, it was more a case of discussing arrangements if Vince refuses to take them off!

Jack Meek actually showed me the Chamfered edges on a pair of Phat Pads he modified a couple of years ago. After seeing it work and given we had more options with the moulded material, I thought it would be worthwhile.

Thanks for all the comments, and keep posting up issues with the site as they are continually being resolved. New photos and updates are also going up as soon as they're ready (the site's got a great content-management system that Danny's implemented, so it makes modifications really nice and simple for us to do).

For those who asked, the Phluid is a brake fluid designed for hydraulic rim brakes. It's water-based, without any of the corrosive compounds in tap water, with an added corrosion inhibitor to protect the inside of your brakes. It's been in testing for almost a couple of years now and has done really well. (Original brakes are still working perfectly from the initial batch, without even having been topped up!) I can't wait to get it released!

Luke, there was a reason we didn't go for the domed recess in the Vee backing. I don't know how much of an issue it would have been, but I didn't like the idea of having a steel convex washer rubbing against an aluminium backing (despite the anodising). This way gives you a bit more flexibility. :)

The nav bar isn't quite right in Safari and Chrome, but fine in FF and IE. We're working on it!

And as Ben said, Martyn, Vince and Ryan have all expressed interest in using the pads, so they're all going to be using them. Phatworks is sponsoring the MAD team now as well (as most of the team have been using phatpads for a while), and also a few other awesome riders that can give their impressions.

We've just had our 1st order - being packaged as we speak!

Luke, there was a reason we didn't go for the domed recess in the Vee backing. I don't know how much of an issue it would have been, but I didn't like the idea of having a steel convex washer rubbing against an aluminium backing (despite the anodising). This way gives you a bit more flexibility. :)

Once the pad's mounted it'd be still anyway, so wouldn't really wear but it's all good - Having it the way they are means you can still run skinny rims by using a fatter concave washer (Y)

Shall be giving my Phatpads a proper test once I've got a fresh grind on the go; fingers crossed!

Looking good mike (Y).

I remember getting some of the original tarty black pads off adam probably 5-6 years ago now and he'd put the chamfered edge on them, he explained why it helped, but being a young'un at the time, i cant remember the science behind it :P.

Would you be able to tell us the composition of the fluid mike? Or is it a secret formula jobbie?

Cheers matey,

Josh.

Josh, the Phluid is a deionised water blend of a 5xx series corrosion inhibitor, and a cycroprotectant for cold weather performance. It's gonna be needed now it's getting cold!

The chamfers help stop any 'ripping motion' that the sharp (90 degree) end of the pad usually causes. This means the pads wear flatter, so you get a stiffer, more powerful brake for much longer - as you get even wear throughout the pad's life. :)

Just to piss on your bonfire a bit, the website looks a bit naff on Chrome on my Mac, the "PhatVees" and "Soon" writing extends off of the blue bar and either it's a lot wider than other websites or it doesn't resize automatically so I always have to scroll left to right.

Do you know if the person you told me on messenger to email read the one i sent him yet. As it will solve your carbon background resizing to the screen issue for those of us who don't have the screen res' the background image was made for.

Edited by Mikee