Unicycle Trials Guy Considering Bike Trials

Smokey McBadass

Hi guys,

I currently ride trials (or attempt to) on a unicycle, but have hung out with a couple of trials bike guys recently and am

quite interested in trying a bike on for size.

Has anyone here had any experience going one way or the other (bike -> uni or uni -> bike)? anyone??? :)

At the moment I don't have a bike, I've just been looking around online to see what sort of 2nd hand bikes are out there.

Any advice (recommended gear, stuff to avoid, where to look) would be appreciated.

Otherwise, I'll settle for a friendly greeting I guess.

Cheers,

S. McBadass

Hi guys,

I currently ride trials (or attempt to) on a unicycle, but have hung out with a couple of trials bike guys recently and am

quite interested in trying a bike on for size.

Has anyone here had any experience going one way or the other (bike -> uni or uni -> bike)? anyone??? :)

At the moment I don't have a bike, I've just been looking around online to see what sort of 2nd hand bikes are out there.

Any advice (recommended gear, stuff to avoid, where to look) would be appreciated.

Otherwise, I'll settle for a friendly greeting I guess.

Cheers,

S. McBadass

Your cool points will shoot up ten fold.

I went from unicycle to bike.

I found bikes far better because you can ride spot further away and i found it easyier.

Most unicycle trials moves are done sideways so you should proble get a 20" bike because they go sideways better than larger wheels.

Hope this helps ;)

I don't know if my coolness points will still shoot up 10-fold if I ride a mod :)

Do you think the unicycle experience helped at all?

Cheers

hey...you wouldnt happen to be the guy at bristo square would you?!

welcome to the forum either way...

at the weekend theres hopefully a few of us going for a ride (all stocks apart from my 24) - come along and see how the other bikes feel if you like

also, on the 7th there is a trials comp at haddington just a matter of miles from edinburgh....ive no doubt that everyone will be happy to offer advice and give you a shot at their steeds...mods, stocks and 24"

hey...you wouldnt happen to be the guy at bristo square would you?!

welcome to the forum either way...

at the weekend theres hopefully a few of us going for a ride (all stocks apart from my 24) - come along and see how the other bikes feel if you like

also, on the 7th there is a trials comp at haddington just a matter of miles from edinburgh....ive no doubt that everyone will be happy to offer advice and give you a shot at their steeds...mods, stocks and 24"

I think so, if you're the guy with the light blue 24". There are some other unicyclists that ride at Bristo square from time to time. My frame is dark blue.

Would be keen to see some more bikes, but I don't know if me trying out the bikes would do much good. I don't have a bike of any description at the moment, so

even though I reckon I could learn quickly enough, I don't really have any skills at the moment which might let me get a proper feel.

Anyway, like I said I could try to hang out on the weekend anyway :) Maybe I could just try mucking about

Cheers.

just got your last validation vote so you can now properly use the forum ;)

i am that guy yes...your balance is obviously pretty good so i reckon youd pick up alot of the basics pretty quickly

i can see where youre coming from regarding being unsure even after riding them....but im sure it will help a bit, even if its just to feel the difference between different frames, brake setups, bar/stem combinations etc etc

probably the best thing to do is start watching some of the trials vids on here and see which style of riding you aspire to.....all sizes obviously have thier pros and cons, its possible to hop ridiculous heights/distances on either

as for whether the unicycle skills help...your balance and kinesthetic sense/propreoception with be pretty good. either bike you choose will benefit from this. the progression curve may well be faster on a mod, but after no time at all, getting used to it will balance out the (perhaps) initial benefits.

Edited by chris4stars