Danny Macaskill: Way Back Home

Mikee

This is obviously one of the best trials videos ever made and some of the best riding we are ever likely to see, but...

Did anyone else not enjoy it as much as his April '09 vid? I certainly felt it was lacking the feel of that video which made me disappointed. It's almost like they didn't get what made that video such a massive hit in the first place, it certainly wasn't just the riding.

I'm with you here. It didn't hit me the same way the April vid did but it was still amazing. In his April vid a lot of the stuff he was doing had never been seen before (for me anyway) and the build up of the music really amplified everything.

This video was by no means a let down but it didn't have the same impact. I think maybe the first front flip set the bar too high from the outset.

• Like 2

WOW! 0.o I'm still shocked :P Didn't watch the whole video yet as I've got to go to school, but will surely watch it 20 times this evening!

Probably the best video I've ever seen! Great job filming and riding!

Edited by Hopping_Topsy

The front flip was particularly awesome. As was some of his g-turns and a particular wallride. Some dangerous stuff going down. Production value was also great.

Critically speaking though I found it be overly contextualised. This seemed to be a bit detrimental to the focus and flow of the riding. But perhaps this is with regards to my being a rider rather than a civvy, so to speak and non-riders might prefer that? Music didn't float my boat unfortunately.

• Like 1

This is obviously one of the best trials videos ever made and some of the best riding we are ever likely to see, but...

Did anyone else not enjoy it as much as his April '09 vid? I certainly felt it was lacking the feel of that video which made me disappointed. It's almost like they didn't get what made that video such a massive hit in the first place, it certainly wasn't just the riding.

There's always one miserable old git that moans :P. On the plus side the riding was awesome with a very healthy dose of trials. Despite the BMX elements that was very much street trials to me and I don't think many riders could do half of the lines.

I know EXACTLY what you mean.

I'm trying with Wireshark, but failing so far :(

Orbit's a no-go for me.

I can't put my finger on it though. Suddenly I have an urge to go buy some high caffeine drinks :huh:

Lol, when I saw that I imagined red bull saying to Dave/Danny, 'Make sure you get a shot in of you drinking red bull, at least one.'

Lol, when I saw that I imagined red bull saying to Dave/Danny, 'Make sure you get a shot in of you drinking red bull, at least one.'

Red Bull made that video happen - the budget for that video enabled Danny to just disappear for a pretty long time with everything he wanted to make that video happen. I'd say one shot of him drinking a can of Red Bull wasn't much to ask for allowing him to basically live his dream.

In terms of the filming/production/editing, it's all still done by Dave Sowerby, and I think the video just reflects the development and refinement of his style more than any 'corporate' involvement or anything like that. I quite enjoyed it simply because the filming really showcased the completely different surroundings for that video, and really made it feel more involved than on the April '09 video which was sort of just a video to show some absolutely ridiculous riding.

Oh, and bonus 'lol's generated by Danny doing some massive 'proper' trials lines in there too. Should silence a few critics...

All I can say is that it's the best video I've ever seen, and probably will be for sometime. The bar has been raised even further, I'm struggling to see how it could be beaten.

It's really good to see that Dave was directing; theres equal talent in the directing as there is in the riding. The locations are awesome and it just shows how good shots can be with the right equipment!

As for the riding, all I can call it is extreme biking, it can't be labelled as just trials, but it's certainly not bmx either. But it's f**king brilliant, absolutely emmense!

Red Bull made that video happen - the budget for that video enabled Danny to just disappear for a pretty long time with everything he wanted to make that video happen. I'd say one shot of him drinking a can of Red Bull wasn't much to ask for allowing him to basically live his dream.

Yeah. I'm not calling him up on it or nothin'. Red Bull seems to do quite a lot for the sport, a bit of product placement is fine by me. It was just a bit too obvious :P

What's the deal with all the panning shots? They are pointless when used the majority of the time.

Besides that the rest was good. Dunno about the music but it didn't not work.

Riding was big and spaced out enough to not be repetitive. How many drop rock walks were there? Some of them spot looked tough to ride to which added.