2011 Echo & Zoo! Frames And Bikes

Sponge

I've enquired about the disc brakes and they are not just prototypes. They're actually products which are undergoing very extensive testing. Echo want to be 100% sure that they are fully reliable and absolutely leak free before releasing them.

This is true. I saw one Echo SL disc brake in China which a rider was testing out, seemed okay from what he felt. Though the release date keeps getting pushed back and back, but hey if a better product is the result then it's worth it.

Surely because the dropouts are horizontal your chanstay length is actualy dependant on gear ratio, so even if they state that the chainstays are 383mm if you are running 18-15 it will be 380mm etc......

I do think the frame look quite good, I do still think that no matter what sort of rim brake mount you have on a trials bike you should always have some kind of booster welded to the frame!

Adam

But it works fine without one, reduces weight and cost.

But it works fine without one, reduces weight and cost.

That 'it' very much varies from frame to frame though. There are quite a few frames out there that would benefit from a built-in booster, and I do sort of agree with what Adam was saying. Anything that prolongs frame lifespans has got to be a good thing, especially at such a minimal weight penalty (with the added bonus of nicer feeling brakes too...).

A couple of companies make Spanish-to-Euro converters, but the Spanish BB system is awesome so I don't know why you'd want to :P

Sounds cool! But I'm curious how they've made an Esp->Euro converter since Spanish is a tiny larger than Euro? Unless it's a big outboard thing. I saw the other-way-round Euro->Spanish by Fly which was rather cool! But didn't look into that particular Fly adaptor in much detail so I'm not 100% if an Echo spanish spindle is long enough to just sit through and give good crank contact? Anyway, all this is pretty cool!

Does anyone know if integrated (not internal) headtubes are OK with aluminium? The same cupless ones used in BMX that is... I guess it would save the need for head reaming/facing/fitting if it ever was brought into trials!

Edited by Ares

Sounds cool! But I'm curious how they've made an Esp->Euro converter since Spanish is a tiny larger than Euro? Unless it's a big outboard thing. I saw the other-way-round Euro->Spanish by Fly which was rather cool! But didn't look into that particular Fly adaptor in much detail so I'm not 100% if an Echo spanish spindle is long enough to just sit through and give good crank contact? Anyway, all this is pretty cool!

Does anyone know if integrated (not internal) headtubes are OK with aluminium? The same cupless ones used in BMX that is... I guess it would save the need for head reaming/facing/fitting if it ever was brought into trials!

The Spanish to Euro converter works because Spanish is larger - it's like the DMR Wondercups sort of system, whereby you get a 'shim' that sits in the cups and has a threaded section to tighten the Euro cups into.

No idea about the integrated headset/headtubes, but I'd quite like one on my bike. Would make things easier! Swapping over my BMX frames was always really nice and easy 'cos of the press-fit action on it. FSA Impact headsets seem pretty good too (in that they're pretty much the universal choice in BMX) and aren't all that expensive. Maybe one day we'll find out...

A reliable source tells me there's not going to be a 20" Zoo! frame anymore, so don't hold yo' breath for the time being! Interesting to see that the blue GUs and 24" Adamant/Czar are still available same as before.

The Spanish to Euro converter works because Spanish is larger - it's like the DMR Wondercups sort of system, whereby you get a 'shim' that sits in the cups and has a threaded section to tighten the Euro cups into.

No idea about the integrated headset/headtubes, but I'd quite like one on my bike. Would make things easier! Swapping over my BMX frames was always really nice and easy 'cos of the press-fit action on it. FSA Impact headsets seem pretty good too (in that they're pretty much the universal choice in BMX) and aren't all that expensive. Maybe one day we'll find out...

Ahhh, cool. I thought it might be something along those lines... though I was under the impression that Spanish shell wasn't that much bigger than Euro shell so a wondercup-esque job might be too thin? Guess I was wrong! Are there Mid-->Euro wondercups by the way?

I agree about the integrated heads. Super simple and clean. We see a portion of trials frames with internal headtubes with the hidden cups but it'd be great to see someone take the leap forward and see how well aluminium holds up to going integrated. Considering how basher-esque a lot of BMXers are, I've never ever once heard of problems with the headtube/headset area. Yup, FSA Impacts are great!

Edited by Ares

I can't see why there wouldn't be a 20" Zoo, those frames were really popular. I'm 99% sure your reliable source is wrong; I haven't bothered finding out from the man himself though.

I've taken some detailed pics of these frames, must say they're quite a lot nicer than the last year's models. There's a lot of attention to detail.

dystanseurban2.jpg

ramaecho20mk15.jpg

ramaechoramaecho24mk11.jpg

ramaechoramaecho24mk16.jpg

ramaechoramaecho26mk11.jpg

ramaechoramaecho26mk14.jpg

ramaechoramaecho26mk15.jpg

ramazoopiranha8.jpg

ramazoopiranhamk11.jpg

ramazoopiranhamk12.jpg

ramazoopiranhamk13.jpg

ramazoopiranhamk17.jpg

• 2 months later...

No word as of yet. Though "Mark 1" on Echo's current 2011 catalogue might suggest a 2nd introduction of newer 2011 products.

If it's anything to anyone interested in 2011 Echo Lite mod frames, I have seen pictures of some with what seems to be a proper gusset attached underneath the downtube bash mount weld so that you won't get cracks and caving in as easily. Something Deng hasn't done since early '05! So long as it's prolonging frame life at minimal weight penalty, then it can only be positive!