Phluid Now Available!

Phatmike

Taken from the Phatworks site.

PHLUID: the all year round performance hydraulic rim-brake fluid.

First developed early in 2008, we saw the need for a consistently high performing brake-fluid that gave a sharp, responsive feel at the lever. Phluid was designed to be used by riders to eliminate freezing in the winter, whilst putting a stop to corrosion of internal components all year round.

Phluid comes in a slim, 300ml, recyclable aluminium bottle; perfect for carrying around on a ride or in your workshop.

- Highly responsive lever feel; light and snappy

- Water-based

- Solid performance all the way to -10°C

- Corrosion inhibiting, eliminating damage to internal components

- Non-toxic

When installing Phluid, ensure any brake oil is fully flushed through beforehand. This can be done with warm water providing the brake is full of Phluid afterwards.

After two years of testing, brakes containing Phluid are still going strong with no signs of corrosion.

**As tested by Mike & Danny in -10 degree Amsterdam temperatures (video soon!)**

I did wonder that, considering for it to be -10 in your brake lines it'd have to be a good -12 to 15 or so air temperature with the work the fluid is doing warming it up, heat from your hands etc. Unless it's stored outside with no shelter in which case there's an easy fix... if you're riding around at -15 you need your head checked imo :lol:

Yeah, anything below minus 15 I'd really consider staying inside. :turned:

We've tested it to minus 10 and I know riders using it below minus 12. The theory indicates that the actual freezing point of it is about minus 12 (we will conduct further testing to find this out exactly) and for the reasons MK999 mentioned, it should be ridable at even lower temperatures.

How cold is it out in Ukraine?

Yeah, anything below minus 15 I'd really consider staying inside. :turned:

We've tested it to minus 10 and I know riders using it below minus 12. The theory indicates that the actual freezing point of it is about minus 12 (we will conduct further testing to find this out exactly) and for the reasons MK999 mentioned, it should be ridable at even lower temperatures.

How cold is it out in Ukraine?

in Ukraine it can be near -20 and more but not allways) i think similar to UK...it's not far north) (for example -in Surgut,Russia - it's up to -60 in winter))) )

now we have -3\-5 at day and -10\-20 at night

think "to -10" it's good and enough, but how it will be work with disk brakes? i have Magura Louise fr...

Edited by ENDORFIN

If you look at the small print it contains Propandiol (antifreeze) and something call Benzotriazole which I've never heard of, but Wikipedia says it prevents corrosion. It's apparently used in aircraft antifreeze so stop the antifreeze f**king stuff up.

So there you go. High tech aircraft antifreeze.

but how it will be work with disk brakes? i have Magura Louise fr...

I should think if it's meant to work like water it'll behave like water in a disc brake too.

It's a good point, it needs testing to see if it'll overheat in a disc brake! If it doesn't, it's a miracle product.

• Like 1

I should think if it's meant to work like water it'll behave like water in a disc brake too.

It's a good point, it needs testing to see if it'll overheat in a disc brake! If it doesn't, it's a miracle product.

We have a distributor in Sweden who asked the same question actually. We are undergoing testing of it in disks too. I've not owned a hydraulic disk of any sort for about 8 years so have no idea of if it'll be suitable, but we'll find out if it works!

The boiling point will be around (if not lower) than that of water, so its not going to be suitable for XC or down hill, but for trials only - maybe. :)

Tomm - bang on.

Endorphin - I sympathise with those temperatures!

The problem is not that the water boils (although it would boil much quicker than Dot), but that the seals swell up causing the brake to seize.

Pretty sure it happens in HS33s as well and is often the cause of sticky pistons (especially in the lever). But they have sprung loaded pistons which helps to overcome the added friction.

Ohhhhhhhh...

I thought it was the boiling?

I've heard that you can use water in a magura disc brake because its seals, like those in a HS33, can handle being used with water.

I'm pretty confident it would still cause problems with the calliper piston seals, as the pistons aren't sprung loaded like HS33s and rely on the seals themselves to pull the pistons back.

Well, you're the mechanic, and I'm the guy with a cable disc brake.

Lets leave it to someone else to try out.

After you've said that, I'll probably be proven wrong :P

I agree, somebody should try it to satisfy our curiosity, any volunteers with a Louise? Shame Magura brakes aren't serviceable, if it does damage the seals then the brake is pretty worthless :turned:

I've got a fully working Louise, pretty much brand new, but the caliper is broken where the bolt goes through to bolt it to the fork, so it's of no use anyway. More than happy to try it with Phat Phluid, obviously can't be tested by riding, but could be tested out for dragging to see if it boils or anything.

I also have some older Louise FR's ( 2 to be exact). These are not together, but I have both calipers, hose's and lever, just need to be fitted back together and bled, oh probably pads aswell.

But Mike your welcome to have them to try out and see what you results you get.